Our Australian adventure Has begun

PontePom

So we've been in Australia for just over a week and so far so good...

The hotel we stopped at for one night was fantastic and not expensive.

It was Marina Quays International John Lund Drive, Hope Island, QLD, 4214, Australia for if anyone wants to know...

We've bought everything we needed for us to last until our container arrives and found that SuperAMart was great and decent quality.

We bought a few bits from Fantastic Furniture but we found the quality on some stuff not as good but cheap prices and the Office set we bought was excellent quality and good value.

Food so far I aint compared any prices tbh cos we are living here now so why think what it did cost when this is what it's going to cost from now on so just pay it lol

But the meat is so cheap and can't wait to have our first BBQ shortly...

We bought a great one from BBQ's Galore...

Bunnings is great it's a B&Q DIYS store and we bought our Petrol Lawn Mower and several large free standing fans from their.

The house we're renting is fantastic a lovely sized garden and massive outdoor living area.

The 2nd family living area has a table tennis table in it now and has loads of space around it :-)

Got Cable installed 2 days ago and it's nice to be online but only getting 8mbit out of the promised 30mbit but have contacted them to look into it for me.

Pam applied online for her tax code.

We all went and applied for Medicare today so things are progressing well on that score.

The weather has been fantasic and if this is winter wow. But i must say it does get cold on a night and wished we'd brought a few more warmer clothes with us but have bought now so sorted.

Yesterday we sat out in the afternoon and had to listen to next doors music whch was rather loud to say the least. I've emailed our property agent to ask the best way to handle it cos I don't want to cause more problems by putting my foot in it early on lol

But I'm sure a nice word will do the trick.

On my tenancy agreement it asks me to considerate to the neighbours so maybe I'll have to point that out to them if it happens again...

Pam starts her job on Monday which will be when we'll start a routine and I'll get some chores done around the house.

But all in all we are loving the total experience of Australia and the way of life and people are so friendly it's unbelievable.

Our container arrives in Brisbane on 9th September so still some time to wait for our goods to arrive here.

The car hire we have is with Avis and it's a good deal long term lease because of the length of rental.

We've got it for 4 weeks to start with then can extend 3 times before we have to start a new rental agreement.

We got an upgrade to a Hyundai i30 and the car is great and we think this will be the car we buy in the future.

I'll update more as we go along

Howard

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Howard

Thanks for the update, it sounds like you have been really busy and things are working out. Hope the neighbors turn the music down and then you can enjoy the peace and quiet.

Kate

Hi Howard & Pam,

Glad you arrived safe and well, and settling in well !!!!!! Wish Pam the best of luck with her new job on Monday. Tell her Neil & Helen from Castleford say hello. We saw her the week she left Ponte. Hosp and spent alot of time talking about our moves.

Best of luck with your new adventure.

x Helen

Guest terraformer

Hi,

I really enjoyed reading your updates leading up to your arrival, as we will be in the same position very soon (end of October). Hope it all continues well for you.

Thanks for the kind words

A few bits I forgot about...

We checked in with my brother who was flying bussiness class and had about 30kg over our baggage allowance but had planned to pay for cargo for 1 case but when we checked in it all went onboard with no words said so we were so happy and shocked but didn't complain :-)

When we arrived at Brisbane our luggage was also on priority so no waiting about for us but guess what...

We had a case missing lol

All our cases had big straps on them so we knew which they were and 2 older cases had loads of white tape on them holding them together just in case and 1 of those didn't arrive and guess what it was the one with our sleeping bags and pillows in lol

But Singapore were excellent and the case was delivered to our house the following teatime.

Howard

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi mate

It sounds as though things are going great for you and i hope it continues.

Leeds won 1-0 at Watford yesterday and they are up to 6th place.

All the best - jim.

A few more days in and loving every minute of it...

Had some lovely weather but some rain forecast for the weekend and early next week.

But not complaining...

Pam's loving her job and slowly getting used to things. But so much for her to take in and shes coming home very tired but only to be expected I guess.

I'm taking her to work andpicking her up which is helping her and means I have the car to do as i please during the day.

Our container arrives in Brisbane on 9th Sept which is great but will be even better once it's arrived.

Finding the food great and learning what we like and dislike with Aussie food but thats what we have to do and so far aint much we don't like apart from Sausages!!!

But I aint gonna complain that I can't buy something here that I loved in the UK cos we aint in the UK anymore.

I gotta find something new or change my tastes or change a recipe.

We could only fit in a single door fridge freezer but it's massive compared to what we had in UK I think we'll need to buy a freezer for in garage cos the other one is full of meat cos it's so cheap!!! lol

I think thats it for now

Howard

Our container has arrived in Brisbane :-) Well the ship it was supposed to be on as arrived so hopefully it will have done lol

Feel like we're getting into the swing of things...

Pam is happy at work but missing her family

I'm well happy

Daughter Becki((15) is settled well

Son Luke(12) is struggling mostly with thoughts of spiders etc so not sleeping that well but he is slowly starting to sleep better.

We're having the house sprayed inside and out on Tuesday which the owner has sorted for us which was good of them.

So that will also help him...

But he's loving the extra space we have.

We bought a table tennis table last week (on offer at Aldi) and play that every day :-)

I'm getting into the chores now ie cutting the grass, washing, even mopped the floors yesterday. This place feels like home and hopefully it will be for a while. Only got a 6 month lease but fingers crossed we'll be ok to extend it.

Don't really want to be moving a lot. Next move hopefully will be to the house we choose to buy.

Got Pam a contract mobile with Optus.

Having lots of action on our bank account helped because they needed to take a copy of that for it to be accepted.

I got a prepaid one with telstra bought the phone then paid $60 for credit and got it on a 12 months expiry which I thought was good and cheapest way without a contract.

I didn't expect us to be this far on so quickly but I guess we we're well prepaired in advance.

Pam is taking in receipts of all expences we incurred to get to Australia to work to see what they'll pay for.

Total cost for flights and shipping is over $13,000.

Anything they pay us will be a nice bonus.

Pam got a parking ticket the other day for parking facing the wrong way lol

$60

But she's gonna plead insanity I mean tell em she's new to the country and see what they say...

I actually have started to enjoy driving again here because when stuck in a queue I'm still smiling not like in the UK when I'd be snarling lol

There are a few idiots out there but let em get on with it...

I'm so missing our Dyson and I'm sick of having to brush the carpets daily which is harder when it's hot. Maybe I should do on an evening...

Off out shopping soon

Howard

Wow Howard, sounds like you've settled in so well. Have loved reading your updates. I guess all the swotting up on info from PIO before you went has gone a long way to helping you? We're hoping our fascination (obsession) with reading hints and tips on here will help us too next year :) Keep up the good work and we'll look forward to reading your next update, which hopefully will be tales of moving in your furniture and beds! Hope your son can sleep better when he gets his own bed. Thanks again. Liz x

Wow Howard, sounds like you've settled in so well. Have loved reading your updates. I guess all the swotting up on info from PIO before you went has gone a long way to helping you? We're hoping our fascination (obsession) with reading hints and tips on here will help us too next year :) Keep up the good work and we'll look forward to reading your next update, which hopefully will be tales of moving in your furniture and beds! Hope your son can sleep better when he gets his own bed. Thanks again. Liz x

I'm glad to hear that they do help some out...

As for the furniture you mentioned we've bought all new here we've only shipped a few bits of furniture. Beds also we decided it to best to buy new here.

It's our computers I'm missing most so I can set our network up so we .

This netbook is ok but not enough for me as I have 2 main computers as well as this.

3 tv's, 1 leather suite and obviously the rest of our clothes.

I reckon a lot the stuff that's coming will go away into a cuboards not to be seen again until we move again...

But it'll be so nice to have it here and to actually remember what we actually did ship lol

Until my next update

Howard

Had my brother and his family over yesterday for a BBQ and it was nice to show them the house we're in with our new furniture in and it was a great day...

The guy came today to spray the house inside and out so no more worries about bugs and SPIDERS!!! for a bit.

He said out side lasted 6 months and inside 12 months which is not bad...

Plus the 6 months will see summer out here...

Still waiting to hear anything about our car and goods that have arrived at Brisbane but I'll give them a few more days before i ring them to ask about them.

I got an email from my car agent and he's awaiting the car to be cleared by customs which is being sorted by John Masons

So thats it for now

Howard

Hi Howard,

We have just got the visa grant for my husband to go to Australia. We sold everything last year and all is in storage, except the car. I saw that you shipped yours, ours is coming over in the same container as our furniture etc. I see I have paperwork to do to get an export license, but do I have anything I have to do for getting it into Australia?

Also, did you use someone to clear it through customs etc.?

Glad to hear everything is going smoothly for you, we are heading for the Sunshine Coast, will rent for six months while we find somewhere we like (hopefully).

Thanks for the update,

Sharon

Had my brother and his family over yesterday for a BBQ and it was nice to show them the house we're in with our new furniture in and it was a great day...

The guy came today to spray the house inside and out so no more worries about bugs and SPIDERS!!! for a bit.

He said out side lasted 6 months and inside 12 months which is not bad...

Plus the 6 months will see summer out here...

Still waiting to hear anything about our car and goods that have arrived at Brisbane but I'll give them a few more days before i ring them to ask about them.

I got an email from my car agent and he's awaiting the car to be cleared by customs which is being sorted by John Masons

So thats it for now

Howard

Hi Howard,

Thank you so much for that. I will give him a call.

I will let you know how I go.

Have a great day,

Sharon

Our shipping agent (John Mason) will clear it through customs and then hand it over to our guy who is sorting eveything else out for compliance etc we're using Iron Chef Imports - Contact

Then we'll just have to sort out the Rego and insurance when they bring it to us.

Any more questions just pm me

Hope it all goes well

Howard

We used John Masons for our shipping and it's arrived in Brisbane fine and we had a company called Movements International listed has our agents over here.

But they've gone bust and now this company has taken over our container Conroy Removals PTY Ltd.

They've been pretty quick in responding and so far so good.

Fingers crossed it'll be through customs this week early next.

The car well I've faxed the last forms through they need so hopefully my agent will have the car soon to sort of compliance etc.

One thing I've missed is a scanner. I bought a laser printer last week because we missed that too.

Luckily Pam as managed to do most at work but it's kinda funny when people dealing with you shipment are asking for scans of documents etc and our scanner is in the container they have lol

Had some great weather today Sun out blue sky and a lovely cool wind blowing so my daughter and i had a lovely walk to local shopping centre had a thick milk shake did some shopping and walked back (About 3 miles round trip). I love walking and its the best thing to clear your head.

Still playing table tennis everyday and my son Luke is getting better every day and he beat me today :-)

Still enjoying life in Australia

Until the next update

Howard

Archived