29 years and still want to go back to UK!

Guest Brisvegasgirl

Guest famousfive

The flippin cheek of him going to a wedding without you on your b'day and leaving on bad terms too!!

Will try to help cheer you up.:yellow_guy_smiling_

Happy b'day to you,happy b'day to you,happy b'day bexs72,happy b'day to you.[just be glad you cannot hear me sing]

:smile::smile::hug::hug::em3600::em4500:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest22466

I have to agree with you there. Ive just come back from the UK and most things were cheaper than in Australia. The main problem in Australia is that there are no cheap houses for people to buy that are near to the cities where most of the work is .....so a job in the city and renting seems like the way to go here unless you have lots of cash when you get here. Food is more expensive here to eat out....cable tv....etc....yes many years ago IT WAS cheaper in Australia but NOT anymore. I changed 100 pounds at the airport in the UK and got $150 at one time changing 100 pounds got you $250 so thats the difference.....It is so much harder to get on the property ladder here in Australia so if your coming with lots of money then you might find it ok.........but the sun does shine more if that helps lol lol

Sorry this was a reply to another post >>>>>>>>>>>>>and dont know how to delete it ....sorry

Guest guest36762
Thank you for your kind words I am still believe it or not with my partner though to be honest as each day passes I think my love grows less just because I get so angry toward him that I am in this position and he will not let me leave - I have no friends that are not his I tell my family all is well just because I know they worry and my mother has a bad heart and I don't want to add to her stress. I recently joined the gym and I am liking that just for an outlet for my angry and frustration if nothing else but am limited in when I can get there with the kids plus I don't drive but am working on that one too. I keep thinking when I learn to drive and lose some weight I will feel happier and more confident to maybe get out there and make friends I just don't feel right now able to make the effort my angry toward my situation has turned a bit into self hate for "letting" myself get into this situation so i'd say I am a work in progress! sorry from detracting from the whole thread of this but I am feel pretty angry today it's my birthday and I am stuck at home as my partner has left to a wedding I was not invited too and I don't know if he will be coming back tonight as we argued this

morning!!

hi I really empathise with your situation. Happy birthday btw, if I were you, I'd treat yourself big time (whatever floats your boat).

Re your partner, the way you describe him, it sounds like there's no love there.....is that just cos you've had an argument and are pissed off, or do you consitently feel that way?

Dom

hi I really empathise with your situation. Happy birthday btw, if I were you, I'd treat yourself big time (whatever floats your boat).

Re your partner, the way you describe him, it sounds like there's no love there.....is that just cos you've had an argument and are pissed off, or do you consitently feel that way?

Dom

I think the other day I was very unhappy being my birthday and being left alone and also the constant being thousands of miles away from those I love. In the end he left the wedding said it was ridiculous that partners weren't invited but felt obligated as he was a childhood friend of the groom so he stayed for the important bits then left and we ended up going out and I got spoiled so that was very nice! I still miss home and think I always will, I'll always think the UK is cheaper and better to live in but do see good points to life in Australia I really hope one day I can come on this forum and actually advise someone to come live in Australia!? but I dunno how knows?!

I am stuck at home as my partner has left to a wedding I was not invited too

Just have to say I'm gobsmacked! In all my (many) years I have never heard of a partner not being invited to a wedding. If that had happened to anyone I know they would have refused to attend.

Guest norwichgal

Hi there...Just read your post and I'm also a Travel Counsellor based in Wamberal-NSW! (Mel McLaughlin) We've just made the decision to move back to the UK. I've been here for almost 10 years. My husband is an Aussie but is up for a new adventure and my boys are 7 and 5. We're hoping to be there April next year. Australia is just TOO expensive these days anyway and I'm looking forward to showing my kids Europe and having all our family around-something I've never experienced since having them.

If you want to chat to someone about how you're feeling (God knows I understand what you're going through!) xx

Guest chris955

I can honestly say that I NEVER thought I would see the day when people were saying this country is just too expensive but the changes we have seen in the last 10 years and especially the last 5 have been incredible. Housing, electricity, food, running a car, water they all just seem to be spiralling out of control. These aren't the reasons we are looking at going but they do have an influence on our decision, for us it's just being in the middle of things rather than on the periphery.

All the best with your move.

• 2 years later...
Guest michelpp

My Dear friend, I wish you all the best and don't think twice.

I've been stuck in Brazil for 50 years!!! Yes. My parents lied about the real reason we had to move from the UK, and we were kept apart of our british family, and almost we are strangers, now. My parents died, both, in November, 2011, and only after that, we discovered the truth. You can't imagine what a savage place this dammed country is. Just wait and see the Football World Cup in 2014 and the Olympic Games in 2016 that will be hosted in Brazil. Then, people will see what is Latin America, without exceptions. So, please, go back to civilization, and give your children a better future. Things are tuff in Europe, but nothing can pay the contact one has with culture, health aid (NHS), the best universities. And I'll die trying to go back to our lovely UK. Good luck!

I nearly fell off my chair with the comment about cheaper housing and food costs because we have some of the highest costs for both in the developed world. If you think you could only afford a terraced home in Wales I have no idea how you could possibly afford a house in Australia near any of the capital cities or large towns. Our food choices in supermarkets are also very limited in comparison to the UK. A manager from Morrisons moved here last Christmas and told me that they nearly had a heart attack when they did their first food shop. He came out to be a manager for one of our two main supermarkets Coles and he cannot believe the lack of choice and lack of competition which is why we have such high prices. As for the kids - do remember that they will grow up without any extended family and Christmas is Australia can be very hard - however many years you live here. It never gets easier without at least a few of your family with you and Christmas dinners are not very digestible in the heat. It is very, very different. Health care is expensive too as are dental costs and you will need to factor in the cost of a health fund when budgeting. Removal costs are not too bad coming from UK but are much dearer should you decide to return - there is no reason for this other than most things are dearer here other than petrol. I wish you well but suggest you do some serious research and ask a lot of questions on this forum. I would not like you to come and be as shocked as some people are nowadays.

People move this way, from the UK to here and leave everything behind them, including rellies and friends. Some, like us had never been before and had no idea what to expect really. We came years before the internet and google maps.

No reason why you can't go and give it a try. You might like it, you might not, same for your hubby and kids. You never know till you try it.

Guest Guest77374
Whoops just realised this post was started in 2010 and resurrected today.

Hi Paul, I wouldn't worry about it. I think the odd resurrected thread is a good thing, as is proven by the fact that posters are still adding to them today. Whether they were posted five years ago or yesterday, the story being told resonated with posters today, posters who might not have felt comfortable starting their own thread, for whatever reason.

• 6 months later...

I aggree, Oz is very boring which is one of the reasons we are moving back to the UK. My husband is about to retire and what would he do here, play lawn bowls or bridge!!!!
Are you sure that is not just Perth though? We are retired and have never been so busy in our lives!

I aggree, Oz is very boring which is one of the reasons we are moving back to the UK. My husband is about to retire and what would he do here, play lawn bowls or bridge!!!!

I can think of a million things to do when retired in Oz.

Just have to say I'm gobsmacked! In all my (many) years I have never heard of a partner not being invited to a wedding. If that had happened to anyone I know they would have refused to attend.

We are not inviting Partners to our wedding, its too expensive , if our budget is say for 70 people I am not having one of my friends miss out because Friend B brings some girl he picked up in a nightclub last week :). Done some reading on this its perfectly normal to not invite partners if they are not known to you

GO ! That is my advise get the hell out of here while you can. Sorry I know there are many who love it but I have been here 40 years, married to a wonderful Auzzie and he would be happy to go, problem ?? Our daughter married then the relationship broke down. Her ex is a Pig simple as that and the Family court in AUs will NOT allow relocation or even Overseas holidays with out the ex approval if you want to take your children not even relocation interstate in Aus which means she would have zero hope of coming with us. She would never be able to even come and visit us with the grandchildren so we are well and truly stuck.

God that's so horrible for your daughter but even you's two too!, proper eye opener to everyone about Australia law! ...how old fashioned & cruel!!! X

It's not Australian law...it's any country which conforms to the Hague Convention on the protection of children. The UK is also one of these countries.

I am retired and wouldn't remotely consider lawn bowls or bridge! :shocked: Well... maybe in 30 years time when I'm old. :biggrin:

The problem with being retired here is that there are not enough hours in the day and I don't know how I ever found the time to go to work.

Now...if the day was 48 hours long I might get the time to do all the things I don't have time for at present!

I am retired and wouldn't remotely consider lawn bowls or bridge! :shocked: Well... maybe in 30 years time when I'm old. :biggrin:

The problem with being retired here is that there are not enough hours in the day and I don't know how I ever found the time to go to work.

Now...if the day was 48 hours long I might get the time to do all the things I don't have time for at present!

Also retired for 10 years now, and have a great life here, never knew being retired would be so much fun, but whatever age you are attitude to life is the key. If you think it's going to be boring then perhaps it will be, but it might be your own fault.

Must stick up for bridge though, sad but true I love the game, from club play to social bridge, but don't play bowls (yet)??!!

I have been here 13 years and for the majority of that time felt trapped ( depressed) and alone. My ex is an Aussie, hence the reason we are stuck here.

However, I recently moved ( brave thing to do considering the background) and we are now finally out of remote and regional Australia, which is nothing like the UK countryside, trust me.

I actually feel like I am home now and living life again and my children are thriving. I am a beach person and love the sunshine and laid back life style - but oh boy we do pay for it in big $'s.

Change of location has made a huge difference for me and being within a stones throw of the CBD is a relief ( compared to the outback!).

I also have a fantastic job, which contributes a lot to the feeling of happiness.

If I had the choice I would certainly prefer to be in the UK, or back in the US, but at least I can say now that I am happy.

Must stick up for bridge though, sad but true I love the game, from club play to social bridge,

I just didn't want to confess that I don't think I have the concentration for bridge. But I might have, one day, when I grow up. :wink:

Archived