Stamp Duty when buying land in Queensland

Guest kat75

Help - I'm so confused!!

I am due to settle on a piece of land on Monday and I keep reading/hearing different things about stamp duty concessions - I keep ringing my Conveyancer and e-mailing but she's either never in the office or sends e-mails back without answering the actual question. So I'm hoping someone on here may know the answer:-

We have had properties before in the UK but they have been sold. The letter from my Conveyancer more or less reads that if we have had properties/land anywhere in the world before then we are not eligible for the stamp duty concession, however, then we read that if this is vacant land and we are to build on it within 2 years and it is the first land we have had in Australia then we may be eligible for a concession? Anyone know the answer?

Thanks in anticipation.

Kat :biggrin:

• 1 year later...
Guest LondonTom
Help - I'm so confused!!

I am due to settle on a piece of land on Monday and I keep reading/hearing different things about stamp duty concessions - I keep ringing my Conveyancer and e-mailing but she's either never in the office or sends e-mails back without answering the actual question. So I'm hoping someone on here may know the answer:-

We have had properties before in the UK but they have been sold. The letter from my Conveyancer more or less reads that if we have had properties/land anywhere in the world before then we are not eligible for the stamp duty concession, however, then we read that if this is vacant land and we are to build on it within 2 years and it is the first land we have had in Australia then we may be eligible for a concession? Anyone know the answer?

Thanks in anticipation.

Kat :biggrin:

Hi Kat,

Did you ever get an answer on this?

Thanks.

Tom

Guest LondonTom

Hi moving2melbourne,

Sorry, but I don't think what you've said above is correct - the eligibility for the first home concession on transfer duty (available on the purchase of a house) clearly states;

have never held an interest in residential land anywhere in the world

http://www.osr.qld.gov.au/duties/transfer-duty/exemptions-and-concessions/concessions-for-homes.shtml

The first home vacant land concession however (available on the purchase of vacant land) does not state "anywhere in the world" but does require that;

you have never held an interest in residential land (whether in Queensland or elsewhere)

This wording seems to imply Australia only?!

If Kat has purchased the land by now I guess she should know the answer to this, and can hopefully advise us accordingly?

Cheers,

Tom

Archived