Baggage Allowance 457 visa

shaxncarl

Hi All

We have just been granted our 457 visa after a very long process which is wonderful.

Looking at travelling to Australia with singapore airlines and know that they offer double baggage allowance for those that are permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely.

Does any of you very lovely people know if Temporary Business (Long Stay) (Class UC) (Subclass 457) is classed as permitted to remain indefinitely.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

:laugh:

Guest pablofet1

We came over on a 457 in June and no you are not entitled to the extra baggage allowance.

We were allowed 20kilos for the main case and 10kilos hand luggage. I was lucky enough that my mother in law flew with me and my children to join my husband who was already in Oz so i was able to put some of my stuff in her case as she was only staying for 2 weeks.

Mel:wink:

Guest zzzsianzzz

I don't think you're entitled for such baggages allowance, unless you're flying on business, Raffles, etc which allows slightly more baggage. I've been flying with SIA to Australia for a few times before bounded here indefinitely. And another exception to this is unless you're holding a valid student visa and bought a student ticket (only applicable in some countries) which allows more baggage for books, etc. Other visas are not entitled to this privilege.

One way around it is to check in separately, so that theres slightly more baggage allowance. But it also depends on your local SIA staff member in your country to determine how much in excess if you're over the limit. Or separate the load with more people. The more people you're travelling together with, the more baggage you can bring. some of the staff members in one or 2 states manning at the international airports in Australia are really strict with baggage when flying out of Australia though.

Guest guest36187

457 you are not entitled to stay ibn Australia indefinately so the answer there is no. Worth shopping around teh airlines tho. Look at coming via the States, allowances higher that way. We came in 05 with AirNZ and in economy we were allowed 2 bags each and each bag was 32kg (total of 64kg each!)

Hi, congratulations on your visa, we got the 457 yesterday after 5 anxious weeks. I rang singapore airlines this morning on the very same issue and there response was that they only give extra baggage allowance on a permanent visa not on the 457, which is a pain. Where abouts are you going to live. Good luck with everything.

Archived