More info for IELTS Test for Nurses and Midwives

trace1

That was with APHRA!

Can't believe what they are asking on registration, no wonder people don't go through with it.

The CV they want is ridiculous!

I have to photocopy everything I have done in nursing skills wise and competencies.

Registration history, well that is on their request on application so repeating it twice!

Queensland health was never as bad as this!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest gingerdingo

I have been following this thread and others with interest. My wife has failed the IELTS 4 times now, so I have phoned our agent to confoirm what we need.

For skills assessment with the ANMC we must pass the Ielts

After successful skills assessment we then apply to the AHPRA for registration !

Now proper confused !!!!

Guest Jo and Dave
I have been following this thread and others with interest. My wife has failed the IELTS 4 times now, so I have phoned our agent to confoirm what we need.

For skills assessment with the ANMC we must pass the Ielts

After successful skills assessment we then apply to the AHPRA for registration !

Now proper confused !!!!

You apply to AHPRA for your registration first, once you have registration then you do the modified skills assessment with the ANMC, no IELT's is needed for the modified assessment.

Guest gingerdingo

I am desperate to find out if any one has been successful with this route.

I have again phoned the agent with pathway route above, unfortunately he his adament that the Ielts has to be passed at some point in the Skliied migration processs.

Understanding the registration pathway is becoming harder to understand than the bloody Ielts ?

Guest Jo and Dave

I have again phoned the agent with pathway route above, unfortunately he his adament that the Ielts has to be passed at some point in the Skliied migration processs.

Understanding the registration pathway is becoming harder to understand than the bloody Ielts ?

There is nothing on the AHPRA application form that asks about whether you've had a skills assessment..... I'm going on a 457 now so wont need a skills assessment, just the registration to work. Though I'm not holding my breath with ahpra :cry:

Gingerdingo, can you prove that you were educated in English ? if so you apply to the AHPRA as an overseas applicant. Once you receive your registration you then apply to the ANMC via the MODIFIED assessment route, NO IELTS is required this way. ANMC modified skills assessment is for visa purposes and is the first step in applying for your visa. If you explain this to your migration agent and he/she still thinks that its untrue then please let us all know because this is the way that many other nurses are applying............regards

I've made a huge complaint about the IELTS test to the British Council as it's just a money making scam to get money out of wealthy foreign students- although I didn't put it quite like that! Like others who've failed, I got excellent marks in all sections but the reading where I've twice got 6.5.

I've mentioned that the disproportionate marking - how can there be 40 questions then marked out of 10? I'm assuming they use a graphite recognition marking system as we have to write in pencil, yet we're not told to make sure any errors are completely erased - of course then you need to pay £80 to have it remarked. I've mentioned that I can easily pass the practice reading material in one and a half hours and that at 42 I will never be able to pass it as my brain can't concentrate for so long (could they make the passages any more boring!), especially just after concentrating for the listening exam. I wrote that I felt it was not a true test of interpretation of the English language but how quickly one can find the answers in the passages. I got to the third passage and I literally couldn't read much more of it! Also found it difficult to get in for the resit. 5 students didn't turn up for my 1st exam and 15 for the 2nd, so I'm guessing the weathly students can afford to book every test throughout the summer in case they don't pass. I asked to be on standby for an earlier date than the one I'd booked, only to be told that I'd need to come along with another £110 on the day but if I passed then I'd lose the money for the later exam.

I'm expecting a response within 10 days so I'll let you know how I get on!

I totally agree with what you are saying yorkcath, I had the same problem I got 6.5 on the 1st and on the 4th exam I did two exams in one week with 2 days apart. One in Torquay and the other in Wales! I was exhausted by them and very true that it does not show interpretation of the English language.

I had given up on the 5th exam, I had decided to go on the fiancee visa and worry about it when I got there.

Then they abolished the stupid exam for english speaking people, so I was so relieved. The stress and financial hardship it has caused is unbelievable. But the registration is just as bad, I am having to drag every paperwork I possess to apply for registration. What is most frustrating is having to contact previous employers two of which I was glad to see the back of!

I look forward to hearing your outcome from your letter.

I spent nearly a £1000 including petrol and accommodation and had nothing to show for it, but stress and an empty bank account!

Guest daveandmarie

More confusion regards the dreaded IELTS.

I submitted my application to the NMBWA in June awaiting my first IELTS results ( in which I got 6.5 in one of the modules). I have taken the test again with the same results, which were sent to NMBWA directly. The NMBWA & AHPRA have since informed me that because I "failed" the IELTS, I still have to take it and get the required result to register. They both said that because I failed, despite completing all my school education, nurse and midwifery training in the UK, I have to show my English language competency !! Has anyone else had this experience ??

The bottom line is I still need IELTS to register EVEN when NMBWA transfer to AHPRA, because my application was already in the system.

:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Marie

Hi Marie,

My agency confirmed that this is true, although I haven't read it anywhere in the guidelines. My friend in the same situation, had complained to the Australian health minister. Her application was initially allowed but now she's having problems with it again. It's madness!!

More confusion regards the dreaded IELTS.

I submitted my application to the NMBWA in June awaiting my first IELTS results ( in which I got 6.5 in one of the modules). I have taken the test again with the same results, which were sent to NMBWA directly. The NMBWA & AHPRA have since informed me that because I "failed" the IELTS, I still have to take it and get the required result to register. They both said that because I failed, despite completing all my school education, nurse and midwifery training in the UK, I have to show my English language competency !! Has anyone else had this experience ??

The bottom line is I still need IELTS to register EVEN when NMBWA transfer to AHPRA, because my application was already in the system.

:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Marie

I'm sure I read somewhere on the AHPRA website that if you had applied prior to the new rules regarding the IELTS then you did still need it !!!! On a personal note, the OH has not applied as yet to any board but she has had the IELTS results sent to each nursing board before they became AHPRA. I hope it wont put her in the same position !!!!!!!!

That is right, if you have actually put an application through prior to AHPRA then you still require IELTS.

I am in your wife's position.

My IELTS results were sent to Queensland Health, but had not applied for my nursing application, so not in the system. So does not affect my first nursing application, that I have just sent this weekend.

I spoke to APHRA who informed me that I do not require the IELTS as I had not put application through the system.

Sam

That is right, if you have actually put an application through prior to AHPRA then you still require IELTS.

I am in your wife's position.

My IELTS results were sent to Queensland Health, but had not applied for my nursing application, so not in the system. So does not affect my first nursing application, that I have just sent this weekend.

I spoke to APHRA who informed me that I do not require the IELTS as I had not put application through the system.

Sam

Is IELTS COMPULSORY FOR DOCTORS ALSO ON 457 VISA IF ALL SECONDRY EDUCATION IS IN ENGLISH FROM PAKISTAN??????????????

What a load of whinging poms. Surely if your english is so poor that you can't get at least a 7 in all four sections of IELTS you shouldn't be working as a nurse in the UK? No wonder the NHS is in such a state!

Academic or general Ken ? I actually take this as a personal insult, the IELTS is far from easy, my OH sat and did not get the required mark in the reading section only on several occasions.Born and bred in England, She could not have got a higher overall mark which was level 3 English. Lets hope that she doesn't have to nurse you because obviously her intellectual conversation will be far less than yours !!!!!!!!! Arrogant git !!!!!!

According to the NMC "The English language score of 7.0 is considered to be the standard of English that is required in order to function competently and expertly in a degree holding profession". (No mention of intellectual conversation Woody).

The NMC therefore require Australian (and other non EU) nurses to pass the academic IELTS test with a minimum of 7 in each section (the same as the Australians expect of British nurses). They claim European legislation doesn't allow them to require EU nurses to take the test. This however is untrue, they just need to adminster the rules fairly so that not just other EU nurses but also British nurses need to take it.

Personally I think it's a shame the NMC don't require British (and other EU nurses) to meet the standards they expect of others. I'm aware however that many believe that Nursing should not be exclusively a degree holding profession and want a return of the SEN.

Never a whinging pomm, every time I go to Oz, Aussies say up for a laugh your not a whinging pomm!

Unfortunately Ken people are finding it frustrating that one thing can affect your whole life, when your a native English speaker and educated in English.

The Reading that most of us have failed on by half a mark is through timing and not interprutation. It is a money making scam and the fact you are able to continually take the exam speaks for itself.

Nurses are on the critical list in Oz, but in the UK we will take any foreign nurse with exceptionally poor communication skills. I know I work with them!

I'm a sister of a medical admissions unit in central Manchester, I can't wait to leave the NHS with the state it's in!

Woodymcfc I fully understand your frustration, I have never failed an exam until the IELTS, I'm sorry to hear you have to take the exam.

Best of luck for you OH

Sam

'degree holding profession' lucky for my OH then that she trained for 3 years to achieve her Diploma of HE with distinction, maybe thats why she cant get the required mark of 7 in the reading section !!! I can understand that Nurses in an English speaking country should have a good level of the English language, but to fail in one section only and pass the others with flying colours does not reflect her English skills. We have had a very good friend of ours, who is the Head of English at a local secondary school, have a look at the reading section and she says that she has never experienced a stranger way of testing ones ability of the english language. Ok my OH admits that she isn't the next J.K Rowling but does that prevent her from being an excellent Nurse, I dont think so !!!!!

Guest Jo and Dave

How come you can't just resit the element you failed ?? That is ridiculous, my OH got an overall of 8.5 yet just slipped under on the reading TWICE, so in overall she HAS met the required level just NOT in ALL the elements, very, very frustrating.

There seems to be very little or no flexibility at all in the current system.

• 3 weeks later...

I wrote a very long complaint to the British council. I got a bit of a wishy washy reply and said that 6.5 was a very good score!! My complaints were going to be sent to Cambridge but I've not heard of anything further. My main complaints were that no one told us it was a graphite recognition test, so I'm guessing that any errors that are not erased sufficiently were marked by the computer and also how can the reading test have 40 questions but be marked out of bands 1-9.

I think we all know it's a money-making scam. In the practice questions I can get full marks in 1 1/2 hours but an hour is insufficient. I'm in my 40's so I'm not going to be able to be as quick as the younger students and I suggested that the exam was ageist!!

Who would I complain to next? I'm thinking about Watchdog!

Archived