More info for IELTS Test for Nurses and Midwives

trace1

Ok another thread about the IELTS Test as there is sooooo mich confusion..following the recent thread that stated that nurses and midwives no longer require the IELTS test I contact AHPRA once again before getting too excited as I still have to take my IELTS test..I asked them if it was true that if I could prove that I have studied English within my secondary education or degree for that matter then would I still have to take the IELTS test..this was their reply..

Thank you for you're enquiry, Unfortunately the Nursing/Midwifery registration standards require any person who's profession is Nursing or Midwifery and they completed their secondary education outside of Australia to sit the IELTS exam in one sitting with a minimum score of 7 in all bands. AHPRA apologises for any confusing the new updates have caused.

Kind Regards,

The Customer Service Team

AHPRA Enquiry Contact Centre

Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency

Tel: 1300 419 495

web: www.ahpra.gov.au

If you look at the questions asked section it states that ALL INTERNATIONAL Nurses and Midwives are still required to sit the IELTS Test..it is my understanding that only International students who have moved to Australia and are now studying English and undertaking a Nursing or Midwifery diploma or degree in Australia and can prove this are exempt from taking the test...

I hope this helps..if this information is not correct please let me know :arghh:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm due to sit my 3rd IELTS shortly for WA registration, so with all the changes I phoned both NMBWA and AHPRA today, I was informed -

NMBWA - IELTS is still required for WA (as I thought)

AHPRA - told me IELTS is not required for all other states

Everyone is still being told different info? Its all so annoying

Sharon

Guest sunnyday
I know sorry..is crazy isn't it!!!

Defo, how can proving all education passed in English not be proof of adequate english language abilities, such a farce and so much unnecessary trauma for everyone :eek:

Guest sunnyday
I'm due to sit my 3rd IELTS shortly for WA registration, so with all the changes I phoned both NMBWA and AHPRA today, I was informed -

Sharon

I've phoned them a few times and honestly Sharon they don't seem to know their arse from their elbow. I'm taking my app in person tomorrow to find out exactly whats going on.

Guest Jo and Dave

We phoned the WA board also, and basically they said not to register with them now as it takes over 6 weeks to process the application, and by then WA will be over to AHPRA.

Also spoke to AHPRA who confirm this..... they also confirm NO IELT's required to register with them if you are English educated!

All oversea's applications regardless of state should be sent to the Victoria address as that's where the oversea's applications are dealt with.

Cheers :jiggy:

Jo

Threre seems to be 3 threads running with this subject so you will see this same post on all 3 sorry.

I have just emailed AHPRA about the requirement of IELTS for English educated/trained nurses. There has been mixed replies from AHPRA, we have had phonecalls where its not needed and emails where it is needed !!!!!! Hope that this can clear it up once and for all !!!! or will it ?????? joking aside the OH is in pieces at times when she thinks that she has to do this IELTS again, when I give her some hope that she may not have to do it again and then she does have to do it again and then she doesn't have to .............how long before we say f**k it, lets make the most of what we have or look elsewhere !!!! I know for sure that if I wasn't to do my job properly then i wouldn't have a job to do !!!!!

this is the email, i'll keep you all updated IF I receive a reply

Hi,

I am an English educated, English speaking and English trained registered nurse who still ,at this moment, lives in England. There has been great confusion with regards to the IELTS requirements. There has been contact with yourselves about this subject with different replies being received. Could you please confirm if an applicant, Still living in England who has had Secondary English education followed by a nursing qualification taught and assessed in English, as I am, is required to prove their English proficency by means of IELTS or will proof of English education and nursing qualification suffice......Kind regards

Threre seems to be 3 threads running with this subject so you will see this same post on all 3 sorry.

I have just emailed AHPRA about the requirement of IELTS for English educated/trained nurses. There has been mixed replies from AHPRA, we have had phonecalls where its not needed and emails where it is needed !!!!!! Hope that this can clear it up once and for all !!!! or will it ?????? joking aside the OH is in pieces at times when she thinks that she has to do this IELTS again, when I give her some hope that she may not have to do it again and then she does have to do it again and then she doesn't have to .............how long before we say f**k it, lets make the most of what we have or look elsewhere !!!! I know for sure that if I wasn't to do my job properly then i wouldn't have a job to do !!!!!

this is the email, i'll keep you all updated IF I receive a reply

Hi,

I am an English educated, English speaking and English trained registered nurse who still ,at this moment, lives in England. There has been great confusion with regards to the IELTS requirements. There has been contact with yourselves about this subject with different replies being received. Could you please confirm if an applicant, Still living in England who has had Secondary English education followed by a nursing qualification taught and assessed in English, as I am, is required to prove their English proficency by means of IELTS or will proof of English education and nursing qualification suffice......Kind regards

Hello again.. this is soooo similar to the email I sent..the reply is as above in my thread...states that IELTS is required...just don't understand what is going on..might try to call them but obviously people have tried that and still we all get different replies..haven't actually tried to register with the AHPRA as yet as I believe that you need to have details of the IELTS pass before you can proceed...is this correct?? am soooooo confused lol

:arghh:

We phoned the WA board also, and basically they said not to register with them now as it takes over 6 weeks to process the application, and by then WA will be over to AHPRA.

Also spoke to AHPRA who confirm this..... they also confirm NO IELT's required to register with them if you are English educated!

All oversea's applications regardless of state should be sent to the Victoria address as that's where the oversea's applications are dealt with.

Cheers :jiggy:

Jo

Hiya Jo

Don't mean to question you but are you sure they didn't mean English educated in Australia? This is where the confusion lies cos they told me that overseas applicants who have not been English educated in Oz do have to take the test.

Also have to re-sit my test on the same day as you...also passed all except for reading 6.5 sooooo frustrating..good luck anyway..mayb we will have some further news on the test soon

Trace

Guest Jo and Dave

Geeees I'm getting pis$ed off with this all now, there's so many threads and people are quoting different things. I was orginally satisfied with the answer from AHPRA yesterday, I even checked this twice, what is going on there!

I am going to call them again tomorrow for the 3rd time and demand to speak to the engine driver, I will set my alarm early and find how what the heck is going on. I will ask for it in writing and submit this with my application if I have to!! :mad:

Geeees I'm getting pis$ed off with this all now, there's so many threads and people are quoting different things. I was orginally satisfied with the answer from AHPRA yesterday, I even checked this twice, what is going on there!

I am going to call them again tomorrow for the 3rd time and demand to speak to the engine driver, I will set my alarm early and find how what the heck is going on. I will ask for it in writing and submit this with my application if I have to!! :mad:

Jo, will you please let us know how you go on, if they wont give it you in writing ask them to send a confirmation email, then we can all use it !!!!!!! Thanks.............best of luck !!!!

sorry just thought of something, why dont you ask them to update their newsletter to say there are exemptions for english nurses if you can prove that you have had the required education, if its the case !!!

Guest SunshineSmile

Just want to say best of luck with the phone call.. the whole situation with IELTS and also AHPRA is a disgrace. If I was in charge down there at that bloody application office I would be extremely embarrassed at the whole situation :embarrassed:

I actually feel for the people working there, they must cringe every time they recieve an email or phone call from an overseas nurse..I know I would.

And we forget we are not the only "overseas" nurses.. what about nurses from other countries trying to sort their IELTS or registrations..

There must be a pile at least a bloody mile high of applications by now!!! :swoon:

Hi Jo

I have contacted AHPRA today who also told me IELTS isnt required for English educated nurses! Going to call them again tomorrow to clarify this again - its driving me mad:wacko:

Are you going to hopefully apply direct to AHPRA instead of WA for registration? Are you still sitting the IELTS test that you have booked? Not sure what to do:unsure:

Sharon x

Guest Jo and Dave

Sharon, the registration department opens in 7 minutes - I'm waiting to call them tonight!!!!!!! :mad:

Jo xx

Guest Jo and Dave

Fooking hell just spent 30 mins on the phone....... and I've spoke to 5 different people at AHPRA now over the phone the past couple of days.

This information applies to English educated nurses/midwives regardless where you reside at the moment!!!!!!!!!!

NO IELT's are required for brand new regristants to AHPRA if you're ENGLISH EDUCATED. REGARDLESS WHERE YOU STUDIED OR WHERE YOU LIVE NOW.

HOWEVER IF YOUR APPLICATION WAS IN THE SYSTEM BEFORE 1ST JULY 2010 THEN YOU DO NEED TO HAVE ALL BAND 7's IN IELT's.

They are receiving thousand of calls about this hence the length of time I was on hold!

I've asked them to update their website as it's too confusing!

THAT IS ENOUGH FOR ME!

Fooking hell just spent 30 mins on the phone....... and I've spoke to 5 different people at AHPRA now over the phone the past couple of days.

This information applies to English educated nurses/midwives regardless where you reside at the moment!!!!!!!!!!

NO IELT's are required for brand new regristants to AHPRA if you're ENGLISH EDUCATED. REGARDLESS WHERE YOU STUDIED OR WHERE YOU LIVE NOW.

HOWEVER IF YOUR APPLICATION WAS IN THE SYSTEM BEFORE 1ST JULY 2010 THEN YOU DO NEED TO HAVE ALL BAND 7's IN IELT's.

They are receiving thousand of calls about this hence the length of time I was on hold!

THAT IS ENOUGH FOR ME!

This is crazy - I have also been on the phone over half an hour to AHPRA :arghh:

I was also told no IELTS if you are English educated - they didnt mention anything to me about before 1st July 2010.

I must have been straight on after you Jo as the person said they had just spoke to someone in the UK with the same query - lets hope they update their website!

Going to bed now :SLEEP:

Sharon x

THAT IS ENOUGH FOR ME!

Fookin get in !! Thanks Jo, at last we have a positive answer. Let me be the first one to buy you a drink if we ever bump into each other ! Might even get a smile from the OH when she gets in from work tonight after her 10 most probably 11 hr shift. Please forgive me if I've been slightly pessimistic about this whole subject, it's just that this ielts has held us back for 12 months and we've been let down so many times with the hope that she wouldn't have to sit that fookin reading test again and get another 6.5 !!!!

Guest soozie

Sharon

this is our experience too - a friend of mine is about to take his ielts for the second time, he has a job lined up in Vic - his manager over there rang ahpra who told her no he didnt need ielts, and he emailed them and ahpra said yes he did.

seems they love to confuse everyone!

• 1 month later...

I had an e-mail and spoke by phone and the IELTS is no longer required. If you can prove you completed secondary education in English via GCSE's or a statutory declaration letter confirming completed education in english and to the requirements for nurse training. They did not at no time say for Australians only.

Hope this clears things up, but also clear on application for nursing registration which I have completed.

Guest daveandmarie

THAT IS ENOUGH FOR ME!

Did they mean application to NMBWA or AHPRA ?

Archived