Kel1

5 weeks till we land!

Oh my god, it's 5 weeks till we get to Melbourne! I'm so excited but also nervous eeek!

We are staying at the Coffee Backpackers Hostel to start with, has anyone stayed there? Read good and bad reviews so who knows what it will be like! There seems so much to organise now, banks (any good recommendations?), money transfers, references, aaaaggh! And boxing up all our stuff in our current house...too much to do!

Freaking out a little bit!!!!! :jiggy:

Hi, Right, deep breath.

Banks - We are with NAB Bank. They dont charge admin fees etc for having account and you can apply on line from overseas. You then go into Collins St branch with passport once arrive and they give you cards/cheque book etc... We have found them very good and have opened a savings account with them now too. Nab hole in the walls are all over and branches are common in most towns too,

Money transfers, try Money Corp they are very good.

Shipping insurance - try insureyourmove.com We used them AND had to claim AND they paid immediately (within three days) plus they are SO MUCH CHEAPER than anyone else.

Where abouts are you going to to settle or are you just looking? Try Sanctuary Lakes/Point Cook if unsure. Its great here.

Let me know if anything else you need info on, happy to help.

Elaine

Living in Sanctuary Lakes, Point Cook. Glad we made the move. :biggrin:

Guest Mrs Nix
Oh my god, it's 5 weeks till we get to Melbourne! I'm so excited but also nervous eeek!

We are staying at the Coffee Backpackers Hostel to start with, has anyone stayed there? Read good and bad reviews so who knows what it will be like! There seems so much to organise now, banks (any good recommendations?), money transfers, references, aaaaggh! And boxing up all our stuff in our current house...too much to do!

Freaking out a little bit!!!!! :jiggy:

We land in 5 weeks too!!! but we are going to Sydney!! sorry not much help with the reviews etc. Get your quotes in now they need 2 weeks notice usually. Good luck and have a great flight!

Hi Elaine and Mrs Nix! So much to do, thanks for the recommendation of the bank Elaine. We were looking at banks yesterday, a lot of them don't clearly state how much their admin fees are so it is good to know NAB don't charge any. We heard Westpac are good too. I am with Barclays in the UK and heard they were linked with Westpac, but don't think you get any special treatment or anything!

Not sure where we will settle, it is a one year visa for now, so we will assess the areas but im thinking near st. Kilda or Fitzroy areas look great, but it depends, we won't know for sure until we get there i guess! I will google Sanctuary Lakes/Point Cook as well, i haven't heard of those areas so it would be good to have a look and find out. I have been watching the most recent 'Place in the sun, Downunder' which is on channel 4 - available on 4OD online, just getting so excited!!

woo woo x

Hi Kel1

Don't worry everything will fall in to place.

I haven't heard any reports on the hostel, BUT, at the end of the day just remember it is a temporary measure until you find your feet, if you don't like it you can move on. Just don't leave any valuables around.

In regards to banks NAB are probably the best, like Elaine says they don't charge any fees plus your cards will be waiting for you to pick up when you arrive. We have had clients use Westpac and although a great bank they do have fees plus you usually have to wait 5 working days for your cards to arrive which can be a hassle when you first arrive and need your funds available.

In regards to transfers of currency Moneycorp are excellent, we used them when we moved our own money over and believe me I was so scared they would lose my money that I was on the phone every over minute, they were so patient with me and reassured me lots. I would definitely recommend them, they also provide free transfers if you quote "pomsinoz".

Make a list of all paperwork you need to bring, ie insurance no claims certificate for cars and home. Birth Certificates etc.

Kate

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest jeza

Ahhh, I remember when it was 5 weeks to go! Now we are here. Melbourne is fantastic. Once you get on the plane, all your worries disappear, and you no longer feel bad about leaving family etc - finally, you really are leading your own life! enjoy it and love every minute! Hope you have a great trip over

all the best

Jenny

jennifer