Heading for Perth 18th April 2011 Electrician and Primary school teacher!!

Guest Jenks07

Guest Jenks07

Hi everyone,

My name is mark and me and my fiance sarah are emigrating to australia 18th of april 2011. We will be living and hopefully setting up home around the perth area. Im an electrician and sarah is a primary school teacher. Can anyone tell me how i go about getting my electrical license foe W.A? I have done vetassess and passed etc. Can i do anything whilst im still in the U.K?

Also i think sarah will have to do another year in uni, she is a primary school teacher and did a 3 year B ed course, is this correct?

And finally does anyone know how easy/hard it will be for us to find jobs and is it possible if your lucky to get a job before going?

Thank you!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I did a 2 year BEd and my skills assessment for teaching was passed with no issue. I'd recommend you get your fiancee to do her skills assessment. One of my friends from Uni teaches in Perth and loves it and has found it really easy to slot in to teaching there. Good luck.

Hi Mark

We've been in Perth since the beginning of the year and my hubby is also a sparky. He applied for his ATRC whilst we were still in the UK. Once we arrived, he applied through Energy Safety to do a two week college course at TAFE. (There can be a bit of a wait to get onto the course)

Once he completed and passed the course, Energy Safety issued him with his A Grade License. He was lucky and was taken on as a tradie before he got his license, then upgraded to unrestriced once he got his license. He got work within a week of looking. They are crying out for sparkies in Perth, one of my hubbys mates that he sat the course with is away working in the mines at Yandi and making a fortune. I work or a mining company but its not for us at the moment!

I did a 2 year BEd and my skills assessment for teaching was passed with no issue. I'd recommend you get your fiancee to do her skills assessment. One of my friends from Uni teaches in Perth and loves it and has found it really easy to slot in to teaching there. Good luck.

Wow, you were really lucky, there is a 4 year training requirement to teach anywhere in Australia so unless you also have a degree in something else on top of that, I have no idea how your skills were accepted. You will find that all jobs will specify 4 year training when you apply for them.

So in answer to the OP - yes, another year of training is required to teach anywhere in Australia.

It will be very hard for her to find a primary teaching position - there is no shortage of primary teachers at all - well, not in the areas that people want to live and work in anyway. She may have more luck finding something rural or remote but in the city will probably be stuck with casual relief teaching or maybe a short term contract if she is lucky. She may want to focus on something special for her extra year's study - they usually like folk who have done specific special ed qualifications for example, or early literacy specializations (but UK has a different approach to literacy)

Guest windyonerz

hi mark, you sound like us. i'm a sparks & my wife is training to be a teaching assistant.

perth is beautiful & there's plenty of work any firm will take you on. if you end up working for 1 of the bigger firms they will put you through your grade a.

don't pay out any more on training in uk, they just won't recognise it.

perhaps you could help me with some info' ? i'm going for a 176 visa & have already secured state sponsorship. i'm yet to send my final fee & do the medicals etc. as part of my visa i have to bring $40,000 with me ! ok it's something we should do here ! but i was under the impression that i could access these funds. however, a friend told me that this money will have to be transferred to oz before they issue me with a visa & then be held in the form of bonds for 2 years ! ok they'll give me 6% on it but i really don't think i can afford that ! if you or anyone else could shed any light on this i would be very grateful.

Guest windyonerz

forget my last post............the agent sent me the wrong paperwork !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i don't need to invest any $$$$$ in oz government bonds !!!!!!!!!!

things r back on track !!!!!!!!!!!!!!