Help - shipping companies - which one to use???

Guest DaveBecs

Guest brummie39

hi

we used pss and they were great ,highley recomended and kept us informed all the time

brummie

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anybody ever just had the container dropped infront of the house and loaded/packed it themselves? Would this be cheaper or could it incur more hassle on the other side? I had friends who did that, but had not heard from them about this since they arrived in Aus.:err:

Hi, i packed 90% of my boxes myself.Extra bubble wrap around item etc.I had my own boxes and wanted to do it.Wasn`t any cheaper than having them do it.When D.Bonner arrived they had no bubble wrap only paper and so i was glad that i`d taken the extra care.The boxes that i let them pack were broken before they left Glasgow as i called to complain about the poor service,which included them coming into my house without first putting down a dust sheet for their wet,dirty boots.they checked my boxes and said some stuff was broken already.I will be getting them delivered in the next few wks.The left my house on 2nd Dec.Who knows what i`ll find

We're leaving for Geelong in August. Already had Pickfords, PSS and Anglo Pacific round, John Masons due next week. No front runner yet - will wait to see quotes. We'll be looking at a 40ft but won't be totally filled. Shame they don't do 30 footers

• 4 months later...
our was just under 6k for 40ft container, the had reduces a little, but did get up to 8wks free storeage in oz if need it & $200 put in to our account when we open with a certain bank, so could work out to be best part of £1000 discount,

Also was offered somthing by another company called KINSURE (insurance to pay for flights home in emergency's) really good check it out well worth it

http://www.kinsure.co.uk

Hi I was interested in which company offered the 8 week storage deal. Can you tell me either here or PM

Thanks Oz going home

Hi everybody,

Thank you very much as this is a very useful thread. I hope all your removals went/ are going well.

I know that the last post written on this thread with info on it was back in March. However, I was wondering if any of the PIOer's who wrote on this post before about which removal company they were going use can give any feedback about:

1) their experience of the packers in the UK of their chosen removal company

2) and if their belongings have now arrived in Oz, the experience of the unpacking teams in Oz

3) how they would rate their overall experience of the removal company they used (but without breaking the forum rules - of course:wink:)

many thanks in advance

Hev x

Hi guys,

I don't mean for peeps to get PIO into trouble but thought that some may have had good experiences and that they would like to share them.:embarrassed:

I agree with you oldgit.:yes: It's a shame that we can't give honest feedback on the forum about the companies we've used. You'd think the companies might use it in a positive way to improve their services rather than seeing it as slander.

I'll PM all the people who moved to see what their experience was with their removal company. I need to know as I don't want my wordly possessions shipped by an incompetent company.

Sorry if I've caused any admin headaches (I don't think I have just yet :wink:)

Thank you,

Hev x

Ok, have quotes now from the top five companies mentioned and will defo use John Mason. They were by far the cheapest for the largest amount of volume quoted. Will let you guys know how it all went once we are there which is not soon yet.

Guest siamsusie

Hi there is a sticky at the top of the Transport Thread (Iron Duke) and you will see all the information there.

Susie x

Cown took 4.5 months to ship my stuff. It was 3 months before it even left the UK and that was only after many phone calls to them. I'm not saying if this is good or bad, it might be fine for some people, but it is a fact and I have all the evidence to back it up.

Hi

We have also had the main companies out to quote for shipping to Perth.

We had Crown, PSS, John Mason, Pickfords and Anglo Pacific.

Four of the companies came out with a very similar price and amount of space and

one came in with an extra 350cu ft and an addittional £3,000:confused:

So it is now down to 4 and there is not a lot to seperate them, they all came across professional and knowledgeable.

How do i decide who to choose, would anyone private message me any excellent or bad experinces with the above companies.

Thanks

Morchie

Hi

We have also had the main companies out to quote for shipping to Perth.

We had Crown, PSS, John Mason, Pickfords and Anglo Pacific.

Four of the companies came out with a very similar price and amount of space and

one came in with an extra 350cu ft and an addittional £3,000:confused:

So it is now down to 4 and there is not a lot to seperate them, they all came across professional and knowledgeable.

How do i decide who to choose, would anyone private message me any excellent or bad experinces with the above companies.

Thanks

Morchie

Hi Morchie,

I have heard plenty of good reports on John Mason's. I just wish I had had the foresight to use them!

Best of luck

The oldgit.

Guest Nolesy

Hi, we have also had 6 of the main shipping companies out quoting for a move to Adelaide recently with the need for a 40ft container including car. On price the most competitive were PSS and Crown. Before making the final decision I would be very interested to hear anyone's experiences with these two - good or bad via private message if applicable.

Cheers

Nolesy

Guest Homemaker

I am having the same dilema! Doree Bonner is the cheapest so far, def going to check out Jason Mason though.

• 2 weeks later...

We're moving in October and have quotes from loads of people -

Pickfords, John Mason, White&Co, Crown, Brittania, Bourne - and have just asked for quotes from Simpsons, PSS, and Doree Bonner because I'm paranoid.

Most quotes are similar at the moment, but I haven't started negotiating yet

We're paying ourselves and want a definite price and reasonable service - would be immensely grateful if anyone has any positive advice about the companies (or any companies they'd avoid like the plague)

Cheers

It's probably hard to get a comparison - it's an activity I'd certainly only want to do once!

For us, Doree Bonner were good and their operatives at this end (Grace) were fine too. Everything arrived intact and when they said it would.

It's not quite as stressful as choosing someone to send our dog with - that was far more emotional. (I spent 100 times as long choosing the pet company than our own flights!)

At least this is just 'stuff' - although trying to nail down what's included and not is much more tricky than I'd expected!

I just want it to be over now :)

We are close to choosing our shipper if our house contracts ever get exchanged.

For a very full sole use 20ft container (we need to have a few maybe items that could be surplus) Colchester to Brisbane+30 miles, we ended up with:

John Mason £4,000 + insurance + Oz fees

P.S.S. £4,032 + insurance + Oz fees

Anglo Pacific £4,140 + insurance + Oz fees

Crown £5,000 + insurance (including Aqus fee)

Anglo Pacific quoted last month, the rest in March but they have stuck to their quote (except Crown as I binned their quote).

All three who are left have kept up with our changing completion date, if we want extra storage in Brisbane P.S.S. are the cheapest and Anglo Pacific the dearest.

We plan to buy our own insurance unless they match Letton Percival or Insureyourmove.

Do not expect it to end up so close, for no other reason that possibly having the most recent votes of approval on this thread if John Mason can move us on the date we want they will get the nod.

Anyone remember this? From Alfresco last year.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ShaunGibbz/ShippingHouseholdStuffToAustralia#

Guest can36
Does anyone have any recommendations for removal companies who cover Scotland? I am just outside Glasgow, and other than Dorree Bonner, I couldn't find many who seemed to advertise a Scottish presence.

Hi we're in Kincardine, Fife and have had DB out, Pickfords, Brittannia and Anglo Pacific....thinking we're gonna go Brittannia - DB couldn't provide a quote in GBP - which was bizarre....and them and AP were the most expensive...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ChiltzandTig
We're moving in October and have quotes from loads of people -

Pickfords, John Mason, White&Co, Crown, Brittania, Bourne - and have just asked for quotes from Simpsons, PSS, and Doree Bonner because I'm paranoid.

Most quotes are similar at the moment, but I haven't started negotiating yet

We're paying ourselves and want a definite price and reasonable service - would be immensely grateful if anyone has any positive advice about the companies (or any companies they'd avoid like the plague)

Cheers

hi, we used pickfords and although our stuff is at sea at the moment if the oz end is anything like the uk end.... they are fantastic, could not recommend them highly enough.

regards chiltz

Archived