18 Months And Six Days Later...

sykestykes

Well here we are after a year and a half, so I thought it was time for another update.

As regular readers will know, the first few months (i would say six to nine months at least) were extremely difficult for me. I wasn't one of the lucky ones who settled straight away with never a backward glance, although my husband and kids (now 14 and 12) were.

I didn't expect to feel so out of sorts, and with 2 kids to settle into a new life, nor did I have the time to feel sorry for myself. We also had my husbands parents visit us for a month after we'd only been here 13 weeks which in hindsight was a very difficult time because I was striving to be 'tour guide extraordinaire' whilst my feelings were, in all honesty, all over the place.

However much I craved familiarity and a cup of my mum's tea, I had no choice but to get on with it and buckle down to life here in Oz. My husband was contracted to stay with his company for 2 years (and still is) or suffer financial penalties we could not pay back, nor could we afford to up sticks and return to the UK so soon after arriving.

More fool us, you might think, for not having a security buffer to see us through. However, I am glad we didn't have that option because it made me decide to spend whatever time we have here as an opportunity to explore and experience the things we came here for in the first place. We were lucky enough to be given the chance to come and live here, so why not make the most of it?

We have bought a (very old and little boat) that took alot of doing up, but we've even made it as far as beautiful Tangalooma on it for no more than $20 of petrol and the cost of a picnic, when it costs approx $140 each to get there from Brisbane on a big boat trip. Our kids have snorkelled there for free, as well as off the Great Barrier Reef. We've been to Sydney, done a road trip up to Airlie Beach and The Whitsundays, and called off at Bargara, Yeppoon, 1770, Agnes Waters and Childers on the way. I even snorkelled off the reef there myself, forcing myself to overcome my lifelong fear of sticking my face into water while swimming, lol. Clever me :-)

We called in at Hervey Bay too for a spot of whale watching on the way back home which was super and highly recommended.

We don't know if we'll be here for a couple of years, 10 years or forever. I still have very down days and yesterday was one of them but I have a lovely husband, children and friends to help me through it (one of whom is a PIO member and she knows who she is and how much I value her friendship).

I can't speak for anyone who decides to return to the UK because it is such a personal decision, influenced by many factors that are private to individual families. The only thing I would say is, do this because you can and because you want to, listen carefully to any inner doubts and don't 'do it for the kids' because they'll have a great life pretty much anywhere with happy, motivated parents.

Anyway, everyone knows their own mind and while I lost mine for a while back there, I'm glad that we had to stay as it has made me appreciate the chance we have been given and for that I am grateful.

Fab post! Glad to hear that things are going well. We were of the same opinion as you, we didn't do it for the kids we did it for us because it was too good an opportunity to pass up on. We don't know whether we'll be here forever or not either, but will just go with the flow and see what life brings. There are lots of ups and downs, but with good friends and a supportive family to help you through it, life can be good.

Wishing you all the best for the next 18 months! And next time you are down Sydney way, give us a shout!

Fab post! Glad to hear that things are going well. We were of the same opinion as you, we didn't do it for the kids we did it for us because it was too good an opportunity to pass up on. We don't know whether we'll be here forever or not either, but will just go with the flow and see what life brings. There are lots of ups and downs, but with good friends and a supportive family to help you through it, life can be good.

Wishing you all the best for the next 18 months! And next time you are down Sydney way, give us a shout!

I most definitely will, our next road trip will likely be south now we've explored the north a bit!!

Get kettle on, lass!:laugh:

Sue x

Guest sunnyday
Wow, has it been three weeks already!! How time flies, eh? Hope you're finding your feet okay? Whereabouts are you district-wise?

Sue x

Hi Sue, we're in Mornington at the minute but moving to rental in Lyndhurst shortly x

Archived