Great news...No IELTS for Nurses!

Guest Magnetic6

Ok, there seems to be a lot of confusion with regards to the pathetic IELTS requirement for English Nurses, I have sent the email below, on behalf of the missus, to WA nursing board and am hoping for a reply, as soon as I receive the reply I will post again, thats unless anyone can provide definitive evidence that we dont need it !!!!!!

Hi, I have sat the IELTS exam in the past but have not got the required pass mark of 7 in each subject, I am meant to be sitting the test again on the 4th sept. The recent notes released by the NMBA suggest that if you have had your secondary education taught and assessed in english and that you have been taught and assessed in english in your nursing studies then you are exempt from the IELTS providing that you can show evidence of the above. I was educated in England, I obtained my nursing qualifications through a English university and the only language that I can speak is English.I am currently living in England. Could you please confirm for me that I DO NOT need to provide evidence of my english language proficency.If its the case that I do not require the IELTS then I will submit my application straight away, Kind regards Maxine Wood

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Woody

I don't think you will get any joy from WA as they have not signed up with APHRA so this change in APHRA requirements that MAY mean no IELTS in certain cases, does not apply to those who gain WA registration and then apply for modified assessment with ANMC.

Regards

Tony

Guest russells

Just a quick update, we called AHPRA again last night to make sure nothing has changed.

Basically its still the same, UK nurses registering with AHPRA do not need IELTS so long as proof or secondary education in English can be provided (not sure about WA), along with nurse degree/diploma ofc. We are in the situation where my wife had her skills assesment for VISA a long time ago so that part is done, visas in passport etc. Now she is registering to be able to work when we arrive in October.

Cheers

Simon & Gemma

Hi Woody

I don't think you will get any joy from WA as they have not signed up with APHRA so this change in APHRA requirements that MAY mean no IELTS in certain cases, does not apply to those who gain WA registration and then apply for modified assessment with ANMC.

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

If you refer to the WA nursing registration website it has the following quote

For English Language Requirements as from 1 June 2010 refer to Australian Health Practitioner Regulatory Agency Website, Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia/ Registration Standards and Related Matters/ English Language Skills.

To me that says follow the AHPRA website requirements for the IELTS, please correct me if you think i am wrong.................

Guest colsha7

Hi all, quick update......phoned WA today and they said that you DO still need IELTS if you want to regiister with them. They advised us just to go ahead and register with the national board as they will definitely be joining on 18/10.

cheers

Colin

Hi all, quick update......phoned WA today and they said that you DO still need IELTS if you want to regiister with them. They advised us just to go ahead and register with the national board as they will definitely be joining on 18/10.

cheers

Colin

Thanks Colin, so we have confirmation from WA and like you say, register with the national board anyhow cause they'll be joining soon. It just really pis*es me off though when you have to rely on mis-information from their website.............The OH is going to still sit the test on the 4th Sept in Manchester because it will get the extra points for the 175 Visa although now, we hopefully have the other option of applying for the 176 SS visa when the SMP's are released (if nurses are on the list!) whenever that will be !!!!!!!!

Hi

I'm still confused:confused:

Due to sit my 3rd IELTS on 4th Sept. We have got our visa for WA.

With all these changes do I still have to pass test to register on WA nursing board?

Thanks

Sharon

Hi Sharon

From the info we've been given WA nursing board will be joining the national registration board sometime in October. The requirements of the national registration board is that if you have been taught in secondary education in English and gone onto your nursing course in English you DO NOT need the ielts.So as long as your not planning to be in Oz in the next few months register with the national board, AHPRA/NMBA, and by the time your there WA will be part of the national board !!! BUT as we all know how good there admin qualities are how long the changeover will take is anybodys guess !!!!

Hi Sharon

From the info we've been given WA nursing board will be joining the national registration board sometime in October. The requirements of the national registration board is that if you have been taught in secondary education in English and gone onto your nursing course in English you DO NOT need the ielts.So as long as your not planning to be in Oz in the next few months register with the national board, AHPRA/NMBA, and by the time your there WA will be part of the national board !!! BUT as we all know how good there admin qualities are how long the changeover will take is anybodys guess !!!!

Hi Woodymcfc

Thanks for the info - its all a bit clearer now:yes:

Next dilemma - should I go ahead with the IELTS on 4th Sept or just register with AHPRA. Hoping to be in WA Jan 2011.

Thanks again

Sharon

Hi Woodymcfc

Thanks for the info - its all a bit clearer now:yes:

Next dilemma - should I go ahead with the IELTS on 4th Sept or just register with AHPRA. Hoping to be in WA Jan 2011.

Thanks again

Sharon

Hi Sharon, funny how things can change so quickly. I just read about the requirement for the IELTS now, this happened last time about 3 months ago when I posted about more or less the same thing. You either need the IELTS or you dont surely its not that hard for someone at AHPRA/NMBA to decide either or. The OH will be sitting the test now in manchester on the 4th sept !!!! I did receive this email from WA this morning to confirm where they are.....................

Thank you for your email enquiry.

Should you wish to submit an initial application form with your supporting documents to the Nurses and Midwives Board of WA, the policy is that ALL internationally qualified nurses and/of midwives (gained qualification outside of Australia) will need to sit either academic IELTS or OET.

We will transition to the national regulation agency, Australia Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA - AHPRA Home) in the near future. Please refer to national regulation agency for any further requirements.

Kind regards,

Samantha Neil

Client Support Officer

Not sure if there is anyone on POI with some authority to get in touch with AHPRA/NMBA and find out a definitive answer..................please help us if there is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Jo and Dave

cheers

Colin

We phoned the WA board also, and basically they said not to register with them now as it takes over 6 weeks to process the application, and by then WA will be over to AHPRA.

Also spoke to AHPRA who confirm this..... they also confirm NO IELT's required to register with them if you are English educated!

All oversea's applications regardless of state should be sent to the Victoria address as that's where the oversea's applications are dealt with.

Cheers :jiggy:

Jo

Threre seems to be 3 threads running with this subject so you will see this same post on all 3 sorry.

I have just emailed AHPRA about the requirement of IELTS for English educated/trained nurses. There has been mixed replies from AHPRA, we have had phonecalls where its not needed and emails where it is needed !!!!!! Hope that this can clear it up once and for all !!!! or will it ?????? joking aside the OH is in pieces at times when she thinks that she has to do this IELTS again, when I give her some hope that she may not have to do it again and then she does have to do it again and then she doesn't have to .............how long before we say f**k it, lets make the most of what we have or look elsewhere !!!! I know for sure that if I wasn't to do my job properly then i wouldn't have a job to do !!!!!

this is the email, i'll keep you all updated IF I receive a reply

Hi,

I am an English educated, English speaking and English trained registered nurse who still ,at this moment, lives in England. There has been great confusion with regards to the IELTS requirements. There has been contact with yourselves about this subject with different replies being received. Could you please confirm if an applicant, Still living in England who has had Secondary English education followed by a nursing qualification taught and assessed in English, as I am, is required to prove their English proficency by means of IELTS or will proof of English education and nursing qualification suffice......Kind regards

Guest Jo and Dave

The email replies that AHPRA send out are all generic, it may help if you phone them physically to hear it from the horses mouth and clarify the situation.

I have spoken to 2 people now at the end of a telephone at AHPRA and I made it clear I am a English midwife living in England who is English educated and English qualified.

AHPRA said IELT's is NOT required for nursing and midwifery registration if you have had your education taught in English. However you need to supply evidence of this, i.e certified copies of school, college and university certificates. This is all thats required.

NO IELT's if you can prove you are English educated.

Thank you

Hi Lisa, if you could transfer your passed IELTS certificate into my OH name then I will glady give you £400 ! :laugh:

Its all a bloomin nightmare!! i really dont believe they will ditch after a year but the sites keep changing the info!! i think nursing especially in perth with reach saturation point at some time in the near future and we will all be stuffed!! I would offer to take the test for your OH but as you know i only got through by default!!! :wacko:

Its good to have a supportive husband i think i would have given up a long time ago if it wasn't for my OH.

Lisa

• 4 weeks later...

I nicked this from another site and thought of you lot. Hope it helps.

Take a look at this: New Zealand nurse Joanne Hening denied registration until she passes English test | Courier Mail

This is taken from it :

An AHPRA spokeswoman last week said consistent criteria would be finalised for overseas applicants.

The AHPRA website last posted information about international applicants on August 18.

Nursing and Midwifery Board spokeswoman Nicole Newton has defended the handling of registrations.

"Processing applications is a priority but the Board's role is to protect the public," Ms Newton said.

She said an international applicant who had completed their high school education overseas at a school where English was the first language, would not have to sit the exam.

Ms Newton said it was still yet to be determined whether nurses who had gone ahead and paid to sit an English exam would be able to get a refund.

She said AHPRA is making contact with each international applicant to reassess their registration.

And further today -

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1225914035758

The board, which falls under the newly created Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency, changed their criteria for international applicants who had applied for registration, seven weeks after it began operation. This meant international applicants who had completed their high school education overseas at a school where English was the first language did not have to sit an English test.

Health Minister Paul Lucas slammed the handling of registrations.

''I am all for standards that maximise patient care but it is simply ridiculous to be putting native English speakers through courses they don't need to do,'' he said.

I would suggest, as Paul Lucas has come out so openly in support of NOT sitting IELTS, that anyone having problems should contact HIM

JOHN

Guest Jo and Dave

For the sake of everyones sanity I wish AHPRA could just make its mind up and get things sorted, how can something as important as a body like AHPRA get it so wrong and still continue to get it wrong, I appreciate there could or even would be teething problems with any transition from state to national for anything BUT when it is patently obvious that things are simply not working then someone oughtta just step up and sort it out !!

I have read soooo many terrible situations now where someones life, career and sanity are being trampled on by an inefectual bunch of idiots, I have called AHPRA to clarify if my wifes application forms and documents had been delivered to them, they tell me they have no way of knowing and it could take 3 weeks before they know ??? How un-professional is that ??? It cost us to have all the documents cerified by a notary, it took weeks to compile all the relevant documentation, for them to turn around and say they don't even KNOW if they have them is just unbelievable.

Guest gingerdingo

Hi Jo and Dave

Did your wife pass the IELTS on the 11/09, my wife took hers on that day and failed the reading by half a point again. We are booking our 5th test for the 23/10 at Nottingham Uni.

Guest Jo and Dave
Hi Jo and Dave

Did your wife pass the IELTS on the 11/09, my wife took hers on that day and failed the reading by half a point again. We are booking our 5th test for the 23/10 at Nottingham Uni.

Hi. This is the wife! got my results today and failed on the reading again. :mad:

I'm not rebooking another test as we've spoke to numerous people at AHPRA and they are adament IELTs is not needed if you're English educated and can supply copies of GCSE certificates etc.... I've sent my registration app last week so we'll see!

The whole thing is a disgrace!

Cheers

Jo

Guest gingerdingo

Thanks for the reply, sorry to hear about the result. I wiil watch this thread with anticipation. Where are you looking to settle in Oz.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi everyone

my wife took the stupid horrible IELTS test and passed it to get the extra points for the 175 permanent residency visa, because when you hit the age of 40 you lose 5 points and she dropped to 115 points and you can't get a 175 PR visa unless you have 120 points.

All the best everyone,

Guest cupidarvind

Hi all,

There is an update in the AHPRA website on 14th Sept 2010. Could someone please help me with the below confusion:

Applications received before 13 September 2010

For applications received and not processed before 13 September 2010, the Board will honour the assessment frameworks adopted by the previous State or Territory Nursing and Midwifery Registration Boards. Any qualification accepted by any one of these boards will be accepted by the NMBA in all Australian jurisdictions.

My wife is a qualified nurse from India and currently working in the UK. We sent off the application on 9th Sept based on the new norms where if the overseas applicant are exempted from IELTS if their Secondary education and Nursing subjects are thought and qualified in English.

The AHPRA received our application on time ie; on 13th Sept and we have the proof from the Courier delivery receipt.

We are so confused and terrified if the board will accept our application without IELTS though they have received our application on 13th Sept. Just a bit of additional info: I provided our Credit card details for Application fee processing and they have debited on 17th Sept from our Account; which means they received and started the process on the same week.

Would someone be able to advise if it's going to be accepted.

Thank you,

Arvind

Archived