Great news...No IELTS for Nurses!

Guest Magnetic6

Guest Magnetic6

The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia have stated on their website that first time applicants for registration purposes no longer need to have taken IELTS if they've completed their secondary education and nurse/midwifery training in English.

At last a completely sensible decision.

Hopefully this will remove some of the stress and barriers to moving to Australia.

Luckily i've sat it and passed, but i know a lot on here haven't and it's got naff all to do with their standard of English.

Happy days :cool:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Magnetic6

Ohhh now i'm doubting myself, can somebody who's cleverer than me check the website to make sure i'm right!!!!!

The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia have stated on their website that first time applicants for registration purposes no longer need to have taken IELTS if they've completed their secondary education and nurse/midwifery training in English.

At last a completely sensible decision.

Hopefully this will remove some of the stress and barriers to moving to Australia.

Luckily i've sat it and passed, but i know a lot on here haven't and it's got naff all to do with their standard of English.

Happy days :cool:

Hello, there was another thread running about this approx a month ago and it was an error as far as im aware, we were all getting very excited but it was incorrect. I was told by my agent that it is required for skills assessment.

Lisa

When ANMC brought in the requirement for Academic IELTS 7, they only required it for applicants who are not registered with an Australian State or Territory. So a possible loophole was to apply for registration first and then apply for a Modified Nursing assessment. However, all States and Territories also changed their requirements for Academic IELTS 7.

The reason for this recent knee-jerk change for the Nursing registration boards (except WA) to not now require an IELTS test, is not Migration related but it is in response to a well publicised Australian Citizen qualified nurse, who cannot get registered without an IELTS test because he completed his secondary education in the UK and not in Australia:

Australian denied nurses registration until he passes English test | Courier Mail

But this change, announced today, has now possibly opened up a loop-hole for getting around the Academic IELTS 7 - Unfortunately WA Nursing Board still require Academic IELTS 7 at the moment.

This "loophole" could be closed by ANMC by changing theur requirements so that even Australian registered nurses require Academic IELTS 7 for the Migration skills assessment but, for the moment, it looks like there may be a way around it.

Regards

Tony

When ANMC brought in the requirement for Academic IELTS 7, they only required it for applicants who are not registered with an Australian State or Territory. So a possible loophole was to apply for registration first and then apply for a Modified Nursing assessment. However, all States and Territories also changed their requirements for Academic IELTS 7.

The reason for this recent knee-jerk change for the Nursing registration boards (except WA) to not now require an IELTS test, is not Migration related but it is in response to a well publicised Australian Citizen qualified nurse, who cannot get registered without an IELTS test because he completed his secondary education in the UK and not in Australia:

Australian denied nurses registration until he passes English test | Courier Mail

But this change, announced today, has now possibly opened up a loop-hole for getting around the Academic IELTS 7 - Unfortunately WA Nursing Board still require Academic IELTS 7 at the moment.

This "loophole" could be closed by ANMC by changing theur requirements so that even Australian registered nurses require Academic IELTS 7 for the Migration skills assessment but, for the moment, it looks like there may be a way around it.

Regards

Tony

I had not heard of this Australian nurse's case and the ridiculous outcome which required him to sit an English test! Thanks for explaining that.

Regards

Tony

Tony

Are you 100% sure that there could possibly be a loophole ? It seems to state that ALL internationally qualified nurses MUST sit the English test, dont want to get peoples hopes up because i posted about this subject some time ago...............below is what is taken from the FAQ on the notes released today..

I am an internationally qualified applicant.

10. Do I need to demonstrate that I have the necessary English language skills for registration purposes?

Yes. You must meet requirements 1 -5 of the NMBA English Language Skills Registration Standard

I still believe there is no way around it unfortunately !!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Tony

Just been checking WA nursing registration site also and their English requirement states that you should refer to the AHPRA website, so for that part its the same..... although you still register with WA nursing board and not the national one.......please correct me if im wrong ..................

Hi Woody

Yes, that is a clear statement of intent and it may just be that the on-shore overseas-student graduate nurses can now get around the IELTS. Best to keep an eye on the individual State registration board requirements. The registration first and then modified ANMC assessment is a much cheaper process but can take longer as the registration process can be drawn out - especially if no IELTS has been done and they insist that one is still required.

Regards

Tony

Guest Rusty10

I came here to QLD in 2008 on a skilled independent overseas visa which I obtained before entering the country and was never asked to take the test. I work along side a lot of British nurses and it seems very few of them had to take the test.

I was assessed by the ANC as competent and joined the QNC whilst in England with no bother.

Is it a requirement of a sponsered visa?

Guest sunnyday

This is from AHPRA:

From 1 July 2010 practitioners applying for registration as a nurse or midwife for the first time in Australia are required to meet the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia’s (NMBA or the Board) English language skills registration standard (with the exception of Western Australia which is yet to join the national registration and accreditation scheme).

The Board is committed to best practice regulation that will protect the public through ensuring nurses and midwives have the necessary English language skills required to practise safely within the Australian context. For this reason all first time applicants for registration must be able to demonstrate English language proficiency.

Applicants who have completed their secondary education as well as a nursing or midwifery program, taught and assessed in English.

If an applicant is able to provide sufficient evidence that they have completed:

their secondary education taught and assessed in English to the requisite level required for entry into a nursing or midwifery program AND

 a nursing or midwifery program taught and assessed in English

then the applicant is not required to undertake a test of English language proficiency for registration purposes.

AHPRA - FAQ and Fact Sheets

So from AHPRA it looks like no IELTS required for Overseas trained nurses who completed secondary education and nursing education in English - but from the NMBA FAQ, it states requirement as secondary education in English and NMBA accredited nursing qualification to exempt from IELTS, it would seem.

Also, it looks like if you were previously registered as a nurse in Australia, prior to the IELTS requirements coming in in July 2009, no IELTS is required as it is technically a re-registration.

Regards

Tony

Guest colsha7

Hi there this is all so confusing......Having read yesterday that uk nurses no longer need IELTS I emailed the ANMC and NMBWA(WA as this is still on its own) and asked if this was tue. The ANMC sent me their standards for assessments for migration purposes. In it it states for migration purposes you have to sit IELTS. But on the website it cleary states that the modified assessment is for nurses who are already registered in Australia, (so a definate loophole there, also save you a packet)you do not need IELTS for the modified assessment. WA website states that for English Language requirements please refer to AHFRA, so no IELTS......the email I recieved today states:

If you were to apply as an overseas applicant you would be required to do an approved English Language Test. Unfortunately ther are no exceptions. Would be nice if the left hand new what the right hand was doing......get it together.....so we all know where we stand!!!!!!

Hi Colsha

There is a bit of conflict with the information - As I said before, the change was to remedy the plight of an Australian trained Resident/Citizen who was caught up in the IELTS requirement - so the change was not meant to exempt any Migration applicants - so even if there is an offshore loophole, I would expect it to be closed soon. The only winners may be the on-shore students who have English taught Secondary Education, as they have also completed an Australian Nursing course.

Regards

Tony

Guest russells

GOOD NEWS FOR ALL ENGLISH NURSING FELLOWS

After all the cuffuffal i just had to get the facts right and to sit or not to sit the ielts, and this has just come from the good old faithful horse mouth....... Wait for it......

All English nurses who have trained i.e got their degree/diploma in England DO NOT have to sit the pain in the arse IELTS exam!!! How amazing is that?? The only evidence needed in addition for us brits is that you need to have completed secondary education eg a levels or college and will just need to get confirmation proving that! I have 2 a levels both failed but that is still fine with them, as long as you were taught in english!!

This is brill news as I was going to sit 3rd attempt next Saturday! Got visa in passport but couldn't register until passed exam!! This exam has been the Bain of my life since April.

Previous exam results...

1st attempt 9 speaking 8 listening 7 writing 6 reading

2nd attempt 9 speaking 8 listening 8.5 writing and 6.5 reading!!! Bloody annoying or what??? And writing about technology for space exploration,

whats all that about when your a s**t hot nurse?

Anyways... Called AHPRA 5 mins ago... Twice just to double check and they have definitely confirmed! GET IN!!!!!!

Just thought this would put a smile on a few chops!!

Gemma & si. Soon to be in brisvegas end of September!!!

Guest Rusty10

It is confusing and I am a NUM in Brisbane- The paperwork here for employing is twice that I left in the UK,saying that all you nurses send in your Expressions of interest, EOI's cos we need you whatever the local Rags say.

Make sure you are ready to work with a Visa, you will beat the crowd with that.

Any questions I am happy to help, I had no one here. I relied on my family and my wits and that still took me over a year. I was a 7 year veteran Charge Nurse when I left the UK and I never for one minute thought it would take me this long to get recognition for my former skills. It took ages- traveller beware- but very welcome.

I have done the IELTS 5 times getting a 6 or a 6.5.

This couldn't come at a better time of receiving today the 5th result of 6.5 Reading.

Just paid for on line course £38 for nothing now, what a waste.

But great news fantastic, watch us all leave the UK now! lol

NHS is going to have a mad exodus of nurses leaving! lol

Never been happier.

Guest ozziepozzie

I copied and pasted this from the nursing and midwifery website:

Applicants who have completed their secondary education as well as a nursing or midwifery program, taught and assessed in English.

If an applicant is able to provide sufficient evidence that they have completed:

their secondary education taught and assessed in English to the requisite level required for entry into a nursing or midwifery program AND

 a nursing or midwifery program taught and assessed in English

then the applicant is not required to undertake a test of English language

OMG!!!! wife has gone to do hers today, havent been on here for a while, maybe I should come on more!!! At least if she doesnt get a high enough mark its not the end of the world. Does anyone have a link so I can see for myself, not that i dont beleive just want to be sure. Anyone know how long this is going to last for? Also, does this include WA as this is where we want to go?

Yea, everybody remember that its for registration before skills assessment that IELTS is not required. But at the moment APHRA are giving no idea of how long applications are taking so one might be in for a long wait before they can submit modified skills assessment.

For full ANMC skills assessments you need IELTS, and skills assessments are coming back within 4 weeks at the moment. Well mine did anyway.... I am really cross as i stressed about this bloody test for 4 months.:mad: Passing 2nd time...

But at least APHRA might be now setting their standards for oversea nurses which they hadn't been doing, so they might start processing my application........

Keep checking websites but as it stands

for FULL skills assessment with ANMC YES need IELTS

for MODIFIED skills asessmemts with ANMC NO IELTS

Archived