Other Family visas: Cutbacks and Delays

Hi Ozzieland,

I think Daniel's reply is not totally correct. (sorry Dan i am just trying to present my thoughts)

After I lodged my applications offshore 6-8 weeks, I got a Receipt of Acknowledgment from Australian Embassy, and they passed my application to a CO. She contacted and asked me to undergo Medical Exam and Police Checks. I was so glad to do all of those requests, and then the officer emailed me that all results were received.

And then, they professionally announce that my application had been locked in the safe extremely carefully, and I will be more than welcome to be put on the queue in Only 10+ years. Then they ended their announcement politely by a sentence: "Do not hesitate to contact me."

I do no dare to get married now and even in 10 years. Do not know what this leads my life to, when Australia; the most well-known on the Earth, which is made by soil, for humaniarism; asks me - an extremely lonely and weak girl - to wait for 10+ years just in order to reunite with my family.

Hi day09

Your answer is not seemly different with mine, just let you know it depends on a lot of cases, circumstances ( onshore or offshore ) and outstanding requirements that may be changed every year. As me, I did not have medical and police checks before be a queue because I had applied in March 2010, they required heath and character checks from July 2010 but just for onshore application. I do not know why you had to meet those!!! :mad: See at IMMI website!!!

You know what, AUS is following the way US does for Other Family visa, most the same. You did satisfy all of requirements of them to be granted the visa, unfortunately there has no available place now and that's why you have to be on queue! If you have to be single during waiting times about 10.5 years, that's totally ridiculous I think!!! You need to make the confirmation with them about that!!

I got the cousin sister where be sponsored as ours to US, she have been waiting 11 years, during that time she got married and have 3 little kids until now!! But on the granting visa time, all of her family members are allowed to have the visa from just only hers!!

Do not be upset, I understand how you're feeling now!! You should email to CO about that!! :smile:

Good luck to you!!!

Cheers

Dan

Hi everyone,

As a possible solution to the capping and queuing times we are facing I am considering trying to find employment the next time I visit my family in November. I am unsure though if a) this is possible under the terms of the LRR visa application and if it is possible to acquire sponsiroship whilst visiting Oz.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Matt

Hi Ozzieland,

I think Daniel's reply is not totally correct. (sorry Dan i am just trying to present my thoughts)

After I lodged my applications offshore 6-8 weeks, I got a Receipt of Acknowledgment from Australian Embassy, and they passed my application to a CO. She contacted and asked me to undergo Medical Exam and Police Checks. I was so glad to do all of those requests, and then the officer emailed me that all results were received.

And then, they professionally announce that my application had been locked in the safe extremely carefully, and I will be more than welcome to be put on the queue in Only 10+ years. Then they ended their announcement politely by a sentence: "Do not hesitate to contact me."

I do no dare to get married now and even in 10 years. Do not know what this leads my life to, when Australia; the most well-known on the Earth, which is made by soil, for humaniarism; asks me - an extremely lonely and weak girl - to wait for 10+ years just in order to reunite with my family.

Hi Ozzieland

That's fair enough. It's the normal time ( 4 - 8 weeks ) for new applications to be assigned for assessment. If any application is found that meet the core requirements to be granted visa, it will be given the queue day and place in the queue! The queue applications then will be granted visa when the visa place become available. The cap will be acted at anytime during the program year once the number of granted visa reached. Details of processing time, cap and queue day are on IMMI's website:

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/21managing.htm

The current cap and queue of Other Family visa at here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/other-family-visa-queue.htm

Good luck to your sis's case

Cheers

Hi both,

I have noticed that the mail was acknowledged by the Australian High Commission in India (application filed from Australia by agent to India :biggrin:. Wondering if the processing will be done by them ? I think both your answers are similar in the sense that a queue date will be given if the application is 'straightforward' and processed and then when visas becomes available, you will get your visa. I wonder what is the status right now of how many visas have been granted for this year so far ?

Hopefull all will get their visas quickly.

Good luck !!

Hi everyone,

As a possible solution to the capping and queuing times we are facing I am considering trying to find employment the next time I visit my family in November. I am unsure though if a) this is possible under the terms of the LRR visa application and if it is possible to acquire sponsiroship whilst visiting Oz.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Matt

Hi Derrick34

You can visit your family here during your application is being processed but you have to be in your country when your visa grant consideration is due.

You are just the visitor and not allowed to work lawfully or remain in AUS long-term stays!!

Details on IMMI's site:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/questions-answers.htm

Cheers

Dan

Hi both,

I have noticed that the mail was acknowledged by the Australian High Commission in India (application filed from Australia by agent to India :biggrin:. Wondering if the processing will be done by them ? I think both your answers are similar in the sense that a queue date will be given if the application is 'straightforward' and processed and then when visas becomes available, you will get your visa. I wonder what is the status right now of how many visas have been granted for this year so far ?

Hopefull all will get their visas quickly.

Good luck !!

Hi Ozzieland

Here's link on IMMI that shows 2011 - 2012 Immigration planning program and some of FAQs about Family stream where we are going on! Hope that would help you! :)

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply.

My question reates to whether it is possible to aqcuire a sponsored working 457 visa while my LRR is being processed. I.e. finding an employer who is wiling to sponsor me?

MAny thanks

Hi Derrick34

You can visit your family here during your application is being processed but you have to be in your country when your visa grant consideration is due.

You are just the visitor and not allowed to work lawfully or remain in AUS long-term stays!!

Details on IMMI's site:

Cheers

Dan

Hi Lazybones1987

You still be able to travel oversea anytime if you want during your application is being processed by Bridging visa B that allows you could re-entry to AUS lawfully!! Once you leave AUS, your Bridging visa A is ceased and you have to have that to return!

Before you are going to travel, see your nearest IMMI's office to be granted Bridging visa B with fee about 95 AUD and no more 3 months for your traveling period!!!

Enjoy your travel!!! :biggrin:

Cheers

Dan

Thanks for the info Dan!

• 4 weeks later...
The much saddest news that we got from IMMI today that be a nightmare!!! They have updated the new timeframes push our hopes are more and more faded. Let check it out:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/other-family-visa-queue.htm

Good luck on all of you

Cheers

The rules seem to be changing all the time. It is getting harder to remain positive!! I am lucky in that my application was in before 26/4/10 but we just can't predict whether the rules will change again before I get to the top of the queue.

Thanks for the link though. Fingers crossed for all

Just to update everyone, I got a mail from someone in immi stating that they are currently "assessing" applications lodged in 2009 & before, so it might be a while before they get to other applications.

Thanks for your update, lazybones1987, because there are just 150 visa places in this financial year 2011 - 2012, so it's not sure we ( 2010 guys ) will be assessed with queue day pre 26 April 2010!! Maybe later on!!! :(

Thanks for your update, lazybones1987, because there are just 150 visa places in this financial year 2011 - 2012, so it's not sure we ( 2010 guys ) will be assessed with queue day pre 26 April 2010!! Maybe later on!!! :(

Yeah, my hunch is that they will give out visas for applications lodged in 2009 during this year. Unless and until there is a last minute grant of visas, we probably won't be getting our visas until the next financial year.

Thanks for the update Daniel... This is very sad news :(

I am an on-shore applicant therefore am in a lucky position however I am wondering about the technicalities of being LRR in 10 years time.... it seems to be a long time!!! If I was to meet a nice Aussie bloke (I am holding out hope that there might be one out there somewhere...!!!) and settle down, am I still eligible for this visa?

Thanks

Cx

Thanks for the update Daniel... This is very sad news :(

I am an on-shore applicant therefore am in a lucky position however I am wondering about the technicalities of being LRR in 10 years time.... it seems to be a long time!!! If I was to meet a nice Aussie bloke (I am holding out hope that there might be one out there somewhere...!!!) and settle down, am I still eligible for this visa?

Thanks

Cx

No you wouldn't be eligible for LRR, but you might be eligible for the Partner visa in that case...

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Derrick34

Details on IMMI's site:

Cheers

Dan

I see from the above link that there is a mention of a temporary visa that may be suitable for me so that I can move to Australia whilst awaiting my LRR visa grant. Can anyone shed some further light on it for me please. How long does it last? Can you work on it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I see from the above link that there is a mention of a temporary visa that may be suitable for me so that I can move to Australia whilst awaiting my LRR visa grant. Can anyone shed some further light on it for me please. How long does it last? Can you work on it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi perthbound60

You could be able to be granted a visitor visa to arrive to Aus while your application is on process. Its term can vary and depend on particular cases, there's not accurate period you can be here ( normally 3 - 6 months I think ). See your nearest AUS embassy or consulate general in your country to get more details. Unfortunately, you are not allowed to work here lawfully with visitor visa.

Cheers

Dan Phan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi guys

Raise our LRR topic slightly!!!

Just update, anyone has been heard about your application from IMMI???? Good or bad news either!!!! :D

Sigh, no updates whatsoever. It's turning out to be a really really long wait. I keep checking immi's website every week to see if they put up some new information.

Should we be worried by this statement:

Remaining Relative and Aged Dependent Relative visa applications lodged before 1 July 2011 but which have not yet been assessed and queued can expect to wait up to 10 ½ years for a visa (from 1 July 2011).

Also, I think I have mentioned it before that I received an email from an officer at immi who mentioned that they are currently processing applications lodged in 2008-2009.

• 2 weeks later...
Sigh, no updates whatsoever. It's turning out to be a really really long wait. I keep checking immi's website every week to see if they put up some new information.

Should we be worried by this statement:

Also, I think I have mentioned it before that I received an email from an officer at immi who mentioned that they are currently processing applications lodged in 2008-2009.

Thats surprising given the fact that the LRR visa rules changed in 2010 and before that, most visas were processed within 2-3 months !! Did not even dream that they had a backlog !

Thats surprising given the fact that the LRR visa rules changed in 2010 and before that, most visas were processed within 2-3 months !! Did not even dream that they had a backlog !

Hi, this is my first post, heres my situation,

Visa type: 115 last remaining relative (offshore)

Date lodged: 21/10/2010 in Auckland NZ though now being processed in London

CO assigned: 11/11/2010

Im aware of the changes that have been made to the processing times and the delays expected, i decided to call my CO last night to see if i could get a better idea of the waiting times, i was informed that applicants from 2009 are currently at the top of the list (of my CO anyway).

As i see it there has been a backlog for sometime now, the recent dramatic reduction in allocations for the other family stream and the increase in allocations for the skilled stream is why the waiting period for LRR's has increased so much.

There doesn't seem to be a timeline for the LRR visa, maybe its time to start one so we can all get some perspective on the realistic timeframes?

I remain optimistic however that due to the 10 year waiting period for new applicants in the other family stream, the number of people applying for this visa type will drop off and the queue will slowly start to move a little faster!

Guest HuwanBisente

Hi guys! I actually read all 15 pages of this thread and I nearly cried reading at the posts. I just want to share my story and ask some questions. Here it is,

Marche 25, 2011: I applied a carer visa offshore (116) and my official lodgment date is March 25, 2011.

March 31, 2011: Two weeks after, I received acknowledgment letter and they asked me to bring some additional documents, such as police checks, medical, etc. I completed all of them before the deadline they set which is 28 days.They also stated in their letter that the current average processing time for a carer visa 116 is 8 months. Also, I remember the lady telling me that she is my case officer but I'm not quite sure.

August 11, 2011: They contacted me and told me that I need to bring further documents to be able for them to assess my application. They did a little phone interview asking me some basic things about my family and my sponsor. They also stated in their email that the average processing time for a carer visa 116 is now 12 months from the date of lodgment.

Now (November 16, 2011): I emailed the immigration on what's the status of my application prior to seeing this thread. I do not know yet about capping and queuing and all I know is that I can get my visa in March 25, 2012, since they told me 12 months. When I read this thread, I can't believe what I'm reading. Some of you guys need to wait almost 11 years just to get a visa. Some of you were advised 4,5,6 years. As for me, I couldn't afford any more years of wait. My family is expecting me to be there before Christmas but I guess it wouldn't happen. Can I have some sort of advice from you guys. What do you think my current visa status is? Do I also have to wait long years for my visa to be granted? If yes, then, can I apply for another type of visa. Some businessman wanted for me to apply a 457 business visa but I told him I have a pending visa application. What do you think guys? I haven't heard a reply from them yet but I'm too anxious. It's really not an option for me to wait longer than March 2012 for my visa. I really need that visa now or never. *crossed fingers*. I hope someone would reply to my inquiry.

What do you think guys? I haven't heard a reply from them yet but I'm too anxious. It's really not an option for me to wait longer than March 2012 for my visa. I really need that visa now or never. *crossed fingers*. I hope someone would reply to my inquiry.

My advice to you would be to talk to an immigration lawyer. When I applied for a LRR visa, the waiting period was 8-12 months. It has been nearly 2 years since I lodged my application and IMMI have now advised me that it could take upto 10 years for a decision.

I have just received some bad news from my girl friend of 5 years. She hasn't seen me in more than 2 years. We were planning to get married as soon as I get my LRR visa. She has waited for 2 whole years and now she can't wait for any longer. If I don't get married to her in another 6 months, it's all over.

I'm devastated. I feel like I have wasted my life applying for this visa. I seriously don't know what to do.