Other Family visas: Cutbacks and Delays

Oh Gill!..........you are so funny.....you make me laugh out loud and really cheer me up when I am feeling low and getting fed up with all the waiting....lets hope whoever wins the election shows a little kindness towards everyone waiting for news about their visas.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: thanks for the offer of Eric but I think I will pass this time :biggrin:.

You are right, there is probably no point trying to rush my parents if its not going to make much difference and things could change anyway following the results of the election.

Its just so hard trying to be patient !!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all, I applied for a Remaining Relative Visa through London in April & emailed my CO the other day for an update. He advised that the processing time has been considerably extended & I would not hear further for another 7 months at least.

Having read this thread again tonight I am now greatly concerned that the wait could be years rather than the months suggested & with my whole family being in Oz this seems a nightmare.

Does anyone else have any further thoughts? Thanks:sad:

Hi all, I applied for a Remaining Relative Visa through London in April & emailed my CO the other day for an update. He advised that the processing time has been considerably extended & I would not hear further for another 7 months at least.

Having read this thread again tonight I am now greatly concerned that the wait could be years rather than the months suggested & with my whole family being in Oz this seems a nightmare.

Hi,

Did you apply for the offshore visa then? The reason for asking is that I am planning to apply for the offshore last remaining relative visa via London in December this year and am obviously very interested to hear how people are getting on. The news from your CO doesnt sound too positive - a wait of 7 months isnt too bad but its the "at least" comment that worries me.

Please let us know if you do hear anything else about likely timescales as it may affect my decision to apply.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Perthbound

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Did you read the first couple of pages of this thread in which the numbers were discussed at some length? If not, I suggest reading the whole of the thread because it is too tiring for anyone else to have to repeat and condense the information that has already been posted.

How old are you, hon? Have you ever had a Working Holiday visa for Oz?

The guy in London obviously hopes that things will settle down enough for them to be able to process your visa application by 30th June 2011 (the final day of the 2010-2011 Migration Programme Year.)

I would agree with the chap in London that he really can't speculate beyond the end of June 2011. The new Government will publish the 2011-2012 Budget in mid-May 2011, which will contain whatever numbers Minister Bowen decides should be in the Migration programme planning levels for the 2011-2012 Financial Year, which starts on 1st July 2011.

It is too soon to say what the new Minister might decide to do about Remaining Rellies and Aged Dependent Rellies. 250 for both visas is nowhere near sufficient for sanity. It would blow the processing times out to 4 or 5 years and a backlog would develop that is similar to the backlog for non-contributory Parent and Aged Parent visas. Hopefully Bowen will show a bit of common-sense but nobody has seen him in action with the Immigration portfolio as yet.

Cheers

Gill

Thanks so much for your reply Gill. Afraid I'm a bit on the mature side for a Working Hols Visa & did have one back in the 90s.

I think it seems to be just a case of waiting & keeping my fingers crossed that there will still be enough Visas available by the time mine reaches the top of the pile. Just frustrating as meds, pcs & bond/sponsor all in place & I thought it was just a formality that it would be signed off & didn't appreciate the politics behind it.

Think I just need to try & get on with life here in the meantime til the rubber stamping is done.

Thanks again

P.S. Frizzy will update on here once I hear further.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I've just been reading through all the posts regarding last remaing relative visa's and wonder if anyone has heard anything since the election. have the rules been altered at all?

we are still waiting for a case officer, but want to claim our son as remaing relative. We are in a similar situation to Frizzy whose parents have just been granted a cpv...........and I was wondering what decision frizzy decided to make.........are you going to apply offshore or go ahead and apply onshore?

to be honest that is what we are thinking of doing, our daughter would be sponsoring him as she has a permanent resident visa. We are really looking forward to being with our daughter son in law and grandchildren again but don't want to leave our son behind.

Cheers Cakey

Hi,

How strange, I was just about to post here to see if anyone else had any updates!

My parents left a couple of weeks ago for Sydney and I am finding it very hard at the moment knowing that they are all out there together and miss them terribly. However I have decided to apply offshore as I currently have a very well paid job which I enjoy and am not yet prepared to give that up until I have PR visa in hand.

I am literally in the process of getting my application together with the aim of submitting it in the next couple of weeks, Police Checks pending.

I too would love to hear from anyone else who has applied post election and whether there has are any real life examples of potential new timescales etc.

Once I have submitted my application I will post back to let everyone know :biggrin:

Hi Frizzy, I was also part of the original thread after putting my application in at London in April. I haven't heard any further news from my CO since the dreaded email advising that I was unlikely to hear any more news for quite a while.

Would also be really grateful of any positive news anyone may have. Thanks

Hi,

From memory, this visa used to take about 6 months from London so it will be interesting to see how long yours takes.

Have you pressed your CO for an indication of "likely" timescales?

I am curious to know if they are actually processing any of these applications at the moment or if they are all on hold. Also it would be good to know the actual annual visa allocation for this type of visa and how many they have in the "Pot". At least then we could estimate the timescales and decide if we are prepared to wait that long before handing over our cash!!

Good luck and keep us posted with any updates - I will do the same when I receive the CO e-mail.

Hi Frizzy, I was also part of the original thread after putting my application in at London in April. I haven't heard any further news from my CO since the dreaded email advising that I was unlikely to hear any more news for quite a while.

Would also be really grateful of any positive news anyone may have. Thanks

I feel sure that the processing time for the LRR visa is going to blow out to 2+ years in the next few months - there are simply too few visas available for the increasing number of eligible applicants.

As such advice would have to be to lodge an application as soon as one is eligible.

Good luck to all affected.

We have had a LRR application that was lodged in London last November. Without going into details, we have had to push hard to secure visa grant in the current allocation of visas.

So, in answer to your question: yes, quite possibly - but not definitely.

If you receive any communication from a case officer requesting (say) meds and penal certificates I recommend that you progress them as soon as possible. There are now significant number constraints in this visa category.

Families affected might wish to make representations through their local Members of the Federal Parliament.

Best regards.

Hi all, As promised just wanted to update you regarding my recent correspondence with my CO on timescales. I've been advised that this year's allocation of LRR visas has been used up & I would now not hear furthe until the new financial year being July 11 at the earliest.

So upsetting with my family being over there & I thought me & the kids would be there for Xmas but guess its just a waiting game.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

A quick update from me; my application was posted on the 4th December 2010 for an offshore LRR visa, front loaded with police checks only.

As soon as I hear anything, I will post back.

ALL my family are now in Oz and like the last post, not sure if I can wait the 2 years BUT you have to be in it to win it - hence the application...

Being positive, maybe they will increase the quota next year :biggrin: o.k very unlikely but we have to hope.

• 2 weeks later...

All,

A quick update. My offshore LRR visa application has been acknowledged and the e-mail they have sent states that currently these visa's are taking 12 months to process (for non complicated cases).

I am not sure if this is just a standard line they use or if it really does reflect the current situation but thought I would share with you all.

Have a lovely Xmas and New Year everyone! :biggrin:

All,

A quick update. My offshore LRR visa application has been acknowledged and the e-mail they have sent states that currently these visa's are taking 12 months to process (for non complicated cases).

I am not sure if this is just a standard line they use or if it really does reflect the current situation but thought I would share with you all.

Have a lovely Xmas and New Year everyone! :biggrin:

Thanks for the update Frizzy. It would be great if they can stick to the time line they have mentioned. But then again, they wouldn't normally tell you if it is getting delayed.

Hi All

A quick update from me :)

My LRR visa application has been in since November 2009. I contacted my case officer last week to ask for an update on the visa and to ask for advise on getting travel rights as I have a new job and I may need to travel to our offices in NZ at short notice...

The response wasn't hugely positive...

"Your application is still being processed though I cannot advise of when it

will be finalised.

Re your query on Bridging visa B, it is possible to apply for such visa

which is valid for one year instead of just for few months. Please ensure

to provide any relevant information in the application form (Form 1006)

when you apply for Bridging visa B."

I may be reading a little too much between the lines but I am thinking that this means I could be in for another 12 month wait!

I'll keep you all updated if I hear anything else...

Cx

Hi,

Thanks for the update SleepyWombat - can I just ask if your visa is offshore or onshore? The reason for asking is that there was always a processsing time difference between the two with the offshore visa via London usually being processed much quicker than the onshore one.

Anyway, fingers crossed for everyone and I will keep you updated.

They have asked me for a few extra pieces of information to evidence that I am single i.e council tax bill, mortgage statement, utility bill statement etc so need to now get that together and send off. When I send off I will ask my case officer what the chances are of getting a visa next year, current applications vs quota etc and let you know the response

Hi Sleepywombat,

I have been reading your posts to Frizzy and wonder if I can ask you a couple of questions please? Did you go out to Australia on a visitors visa and then apply onshore for the last remaining relative visa? Are you allowed to work while waiting for the visa? We would like our son to accompany us when we go out after receiving the cpv but if he's not allowed to work it will be a long time to support himself just on his savings. I would be really grateful for any advice you can give me.

Cheers Cakey

Guest TheStig
Hi All

A quick update from me :)

My LRR visa application has been in since November 2009. I contacted my case officer last week to ask for an update on the visa and to ask for advise on getting travel rights as I have a new job and I may need to travel to our offices in NZ at short notice...

The response wasn't hugely positive...

"Your application is still being processed though I cannot advise of when it

will be finalised.

Re your query on Bridging visa B, it is possible to apply for such visa

which is valid for one year instead of just for few months. Please ensure

to provide any relevant information in the application form (Form 1006)

when you apply for Bridging visa B."

I may be reading a little too much between the lines but I am thinking that this means I could be in for another 12 month wait!

I'll keep you all updated if I hear anything else...

Cx

Nah mate, your CO is trying to help you out here. BVB are usually valid for 3 months but since your job requires you to travel frequently on short notices, they are giving you a 12 month BVB for facilitate this. However during this 12 months, if your visa is finalised, you will be given a pre-grant requiring you to be onshore before it can be officially granted.