Other Family visas: Cutbacks and Delays

hello i am new here.. im from adelaide applied LLR 05/2011 i dont know when is my queue date. last month my agent contacted me asking for some documents( birth certificate and australian citizenship certifiate of my parents and my sister) any idea how ling should i wait? Is it 10yrs for the final process? ive been in australia for 7yrs now and i dont know if i can wait for another 10yrs!!!

ive been in australia for 7yrs now and i dont know if i can wait for another 10yrs!!!

Hi Kris,

It's really hard to say how long it will take for your application to be processed. I've been waiting for 3 years and I expect to wait for another 6 months or so for my application to be finalized.

A group of expert panel made a few recommendations last year to improve the waiting time of family reunion visas (which also includes remaining relative). However, it's upto IMMI to implement these changes.

Hi,

According to the DIAC website, "Applications for Remaining Relative or Aged Dependent Relative visas with a queue date up to 30 June 2011 are now being considered for final processing."

I wanted to find out whether this means that because applications from June 2011 are already being considered for final processing, that there are already places available for up to that queue date.

My sister’s application was given a queue date of 30 November 2010, so I’m unsure of how long it will still be before our application is finalised.

It would be great appreciated if anyone can clarify this for me.

Many thanks for help!

Hi west, I guess they are still processing the applications with queue dates up to 30/6/2011 at this stage. It is unsure whether they will keep moving for the remainder of this financial year. In the worst case, if all the places are used up, DIAC may put a halt on the whole process and wait until the new places are available from 1/07/2013. My gut feeling is that your sister's case will be processed in the 2013/14 year, but nothing is for sure. Good luck.

Thanks! Velasco ... Much appreciated.

Hi west, sorry I misread your queue date as 30/11/2011. My impression was that the applications with queue dates up to 31/12/2010 were processed in November 2012, which means your sister's case should be finalised a few months ago. If you haven't received any notice from DIAC, you should give them a call to find out.

Thank you for reply lazybones1987.. when did you apply your LLR? so you have a CO? and im just wondering how should i know about my queue date? should i ask my agent about my queue date?

Hi Kris,

Yes, I have a CO. TBH, it doesn't matter when you have applied, if you have a case officer or what your queue date is. This is what I've learned in my wait so far. There is no particular order to how IMMI processes the applications. I have come across quite a number of people who have obtained their visas, even though they lodged their application much later than I did. This whole concept of "queuing" is a farce. E.g., West's sisters' case.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic here, but those are the facts and they are quite depressing (at least for me). A lot of talk has been made about the condition of family visas and I sincerely hope that IMMI implements those changes for the good.

To answer your question (finally), the usual trend is to apply a CO when they have performed the initial assessment and they think that your application will be processed soon (read 12-24 months). Once a CO is appointed, he/she will then advise you of your queue date.

Hi Velasco,

I forgot to mention my sister's application was lodged off shore. Not sure if that is supposed to make a difference though. We contact embassy recently, they told us they are constrained by Government Planning levels they are not yet in a position to process my sister's application as there are still other applications that have an earlier queue date, but they be assured that as soon as places become available, they will be contacted us for continued processing.

I'm not sure what to do now then. I don't want to pester them and leave a bad impression.

Has any with the queue date after 30/11/2010 already had their case finalised?

Many thanks!

hello everyone!:) ive just receieved a letter from my agent and asking for my medical/police check. is it a good sign? Or just a standard procedure?

Are you applying onshore or offshore? When did you lodge your application? Have you been given a queue date and assigned a CO?

It is standard procedure to ask for medicals/police check after you've lodged your application onshore. They might also ask you to take another test before they grant your visa.

how about you lazybones1987? did u had you police check/medicalthat requested from your CO?
I was asked for it, but not by my CO, but by someone else who initially assessed the application.

They will probably perform the initial assessment on your case and give you a queue date once you have completed your checks. Keep us posted.

A few independent committees have suggested IMMI to increase the number of family visas, this includes remaining relative visas as well. Until then, we'll just have to wait patiently.

Thank you for your response, lazybones1987. Hm, I will try to regain my patience :)

My sister's application has been assessed by a CO and he has given her a queue date of 13th Mar 2013. He had not asked for Meds and PCC as yet. Any idea what comes next ?

The next comes the long wait for the case officer to make contact again. They are currently processing applications with a queue date of June 2010.

Just looking at a post above.. I've been placed in the queue today but was asked to attend my medical two weeks ago and send police checks. My understanding talking on the phone with the case officer was that this meant it was nearing completion but reading this site leads me to believe i've got a long wait now i'm in the queue. I applied september 2011. Don't the medical forms expire and police checks only last like six months. Any ideas? Thanks.

Just looking at a post above.. I've been placed in the queue today but was asked to attend my medical two weeks ago and send police checks.

If you've applied onshore, it's standard procedure for you to undergo police and medical checks before they put you in a queue (there's no point in assigning someone to a queue if they are going to fail their medicals/police checks). What queue date have you been given? Assigning a queue date is one step closer to completion, but that final step is currently a long way away.