Any nurse here or in uk awaiting AHPRA registration? I applied with QNC...

Guest annieross

Guest annieross

Hey all,

I have been in oz since april, I also applied for my reg with QNC in april. I was due to start work 3 weeks ago. NMC in UK were so late and tardy in sending my verification I lost out on being granted reg with QNC by one day! Now AHPRA (formed 1st july) do not have the processes in place to assess overseas trained nurse's applications at the moment. so I cant work, I dont know when I will be able to and I can't get any sense out of AHPRA! Thinking there most be some people in the same boat?

Annie:wacko:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest SunshineSmile
Hey all,

I have been in oz since april, I also applied for my reg with QNC in april. I was due to start work 3 weeks ago. NMC in UK were so late and tardy in sending my verification I lost out on being granted reg with QNC by one day! Now AHPRA (formed 1st july) do not have the processes in place to assess overseas trained nurse's applications at the moment. so I cant work, I dont know when I will be able to and I can't get any sense out of AHPRA! Thinking there most be some people in the same boat?

Annie:wacko:

Hi Annie..

Im not in the same boat but was almost.. and now im nowhere! I too had my registration ready to go late April to QNC and was advised not to send it off due to the impending changeover and best to wait til 1st July. Still holding on to it because as far as i can see, they are not processing any overseas applications.. thats certainly the word.. and no one seems to be getting any answers from AHPRA..

I think this is certainly becoming a serious issue.. it certainly is for you!!! Is there anyone out there that can actually physically visit the office to seek clarity?

It is surely totally unacceptable to say they do not have the processes to assess overseas applications? :shocked: What about all the other health care professions now under AHPRA.. Doctors, pharmacists, physios etc.. how are they fairing out applying for their registrations?

Anyone else getting seriously concerned???

Maybe we should try to take issue with this Annie and see how many other nurses on PIO are in the same boat???

Could we seek someone to approach AHPRA in a professional capacity to clarify the situation.. maybe a migration lawyer???

Guest soozie

A friend of mine is currently getting his reg sorted out - he initially got his skills assessed by anmc and then applied for reg with the vic board. as the new ielts requirement came in mid application his vic reg application got sent back to him from vic and he was told to apply to ahpra, submitting everything together, and is now waiting for his ielts exam (failed his first exam). ahpra told him it could take up to 8 weeks to sort out his reg once he has submitted his ielts result, and his is also awaiting ae employment police check (he has already been offered a job and they are being very understanding, and are more than happy to wait as they know it will take an age to get sorted out.)

It does seem a very half cocked organisation ... typical of aus beaurocracy by all accounts ... but he has found his vic employer understanding and willing to wait. they even said most nurse recruiters - be they agencies or hospitals - are finding the new ahpra very slow and frustrating and delaying them getting new staff started.

hope you get sorted soon ... it must be so frustrating (not to mention expensive!) to be so close and yet so far!

:wubclub:

Guest SunshineSmile
A friend of mine is currently getting his reg sorted out - he initially got his skills assessed by anmc and then applied for reg with the vic board. as the new ielts requirement came in mid application his vic reg application got sent back to him from vic and he was told to apply to ahpra, submitting everything together, and is now waiting for his ielts exam (failed his first exam). ahpra told him it could take up to 8 weeks to sort out his reg once he has submitted his ielts result, and his is also awaiting ae employment police check (he has already been offered a job and they are being very understanding, and are more than happy to wait as they know it will take an age to get sorted out.)

It does seem a very half cocked organisation ... typical of aus beaurocracy by all accounts ... but he has found his vic employer understanding and willing to wait. they even said most nurse recruiters - be they agencies or hospitals - are finding the new ahpra very slow and frustrating and delaying them getting new staff started.

hope you get sorted soon ... it must be so frustrating (not to mention expensive!) to be so close and yet so far!

:wubclub:

That actually sounds promising Soozie!!! (shows how desperate we have all become)

At least they are actually processing, which up to now it certainly did not look to be the case.

Have taken much heart from that Soozie.. thanks! 8 weeks is not so long to wait when you have everything else in place and at least as you say the Australian nursing job market seems to understand the situation..

Im sure Annie will be pleased to read that post too :biggrin:

Hi everyone,

I am also waiting for my registration (applied to register for Victoria) and sent my paperwork about 6, maybe 7 weeks ago now.

I have tried contacting AHPRA several times to see if they have at least recieved my application, and to just make sure that they have everything they need so I can if necessary send anything else they may need. However, with a phonebill of £22 I am still none the wiser as whoever I have spoken to says that they don't deal with my enquiry or have supposedly checked the system and nothing comes up with my name. Most of the people I have spoken to have been extremely rude or plain unhelpful on the phone too. I have even left a message on someones answer phone pleading them to get back to me, but still not heard anything!

I am supposed to start my new job at the Alfred, Melbourne on 8 November so getting quite worried now that I can't start work until I have got my registration. We leave the UK on 4 October. It is very frustrating as well as worrying for various reasons.

I hope that AHPRA get their act together soon!

Guest chihiro

I applied with QNC on the 10th of June, got my application transferred but didn't receive any letter. I went to their office to get the info. They told me there that they were dealing with the aussie nurses first and will go for the overseas one after that.

That was 2 weeks ago so I think I will go back to their office tomorrow to see if they haven't forgotten me ...

Guest annieross

its definately a very stressful situation! I now have the hospital trying to contact them, the nurse manager is trying to make a formal complaint on my behalf. they should have processed outstanding applications by now or at least started to! I called again today and I was told, by someone who really didnt know what they were doing and wouldnt help any further, that my application was being assessed and they would write to me if they needed any additional info. I said I need to know what info they might need! I have sent everything and begged her to tell put me through to someone else. She just kept repeating the same thing. I hope we all have some luck soon! I know that Aussie RNs and EENs ahve also had problems but they seem to be getting thier reg's now.

Thanks for your replies! Some things are so backward here!

Annie xx:spinny:

Guest annieross

forgot to say I'm trying to get the Queensland Nurses Union to look into it all for me but they dont think they can do much.

Guest annieross

and by the way, they have released something today that says if you had your schooling and nurse ed in english no ielts needed anymore. there goes the money and time i spent on that!

Guest itsSHIRLEY

Hi i applied to QNC before the changes and was registered to QNC. when the changeover occured i did not get anything in writing to say i was registered, however if i look up my registration number on AHPRA it is registered on the new nursing registration website. I am thinking that this is all that is needed.

Guest annieross

yes thats all that is needed if you were actually registered with the QNC before the change over. I am definately not!x

It is so good to hear other people are in the same boat as me with regards to the APRHA. They are bloody usless. I also heard that they were yet to start overseas nurses application as they hadn't got guidelines in place yet. So no overseas regs have been done since the 1st july.

I submitted all my info mid May, but got it sent back twice as they had apparently been incorrectly certified, the last lot had to be sent to the APRHA and the Victoria board promised they had transferred my application to them. I have since phoned and emailed 3 or 4 times i have had one response which didnt answer my question but told me applications are done in chronological order. I am supposed to be travelling on a sponsorship visa, so i have no idea when i will get to OZ.

I continue to check the register daily in the hope i may just appear on it. I hope we all hear some good news soon.

Guest SunshineSmile
It is so good to hear other people are in the same boat as me with regards to the APRHA. They are bloody usless. I also heard that they were yet to start overseas nurses application as they hadn't got guidelines in place yet. So no overseas regs have been done since the 1st july.

I submitted all my info mid May, but got it sent back twice as they had apparently been incorrectly certified, the last lot had to be sent to the APRHA and the Victoria board promised they had transferred my application to them. I have since phoned and emailed 3 or 4 times i have had one response which didnt answer my question but told me applications are done in chronological order. I am supposed to be travelling on a sponsorship visa, so i have no idea when i will get to OZ.

I continue to check the register daily in the hope i may just appear on it. I hope we all hear some good news soon.

Doesnt there seem to be lots of conflicting information about exactly what AHPRA are doing for the registration and assessment fee that is sent to them by us overseas hopefuls?.. this is particularly difficult for anyone on a sponsorship!

It would be great to keep this thread alive so we can all swap notes and keep up to date with goings on at APHRA ( or should i say lack there-of :biglaugh:)

Perhaps we should put together a spot prize for the first amongst us to be registered with APHRA???!!! :twitcy:

Guest annieross

what a good idea! ill definately update on here as soon as I hear from AHPRA.

They have to sort it out soon, they just have to!

Guest Irvingsago

:mad:Hi I applied to AHPRA too sent everything 10/7/10 and STILL waiting to hear about my application too- not a word from them. Phoning weekly and they seem to have my name & contact details but can't tell me anything else! "A case officer will call you back"- yeah right. I've heard it all. I've emailed and phoned countless times. Apparently if they've debited your credit card for fee it's being processed: well they haven't debited my card! What's going on? I need my registration as have to be in Oz by 24/12 and can't go till its thro as can't work. Absolute nightmare. Some lady in Adelaide said I've not to worry as she's sure I'll have it by December! If my visa expires they can shove it. I knew this would happen but found out too late to apply before deadline.

Good luck to one & all!

Guest annieross

under national law, applications received by AHPRA have to be processed in 90 days from when they received them. you will definately get your reg before dec! as soon as they lift the stop on overseas assessments for reg they will clear the back log (I hope as I applied in april!) and then get on to the new ones. So next time you talk to them tell them you are aware that they have to process yours in 90 days!

Guest chihiro

went to the AHPRA office in Brisbane today, got the news that they don't have the regulations for overseas nurses yet. They don't know what they will ask us for the moment.

They told me to check the website because as soon as the regulations are out they will post there...

And of course no time frame....

:mad:Hi I applied to AHPRA too sent everything 10/7/10 and STILL waiting to hear about my application too- not a word from them. Phoning weekly and they seem to have my name & contact details but can't tell me anything else! "A case officer will call you back"- yeah right. I've heard it all. I've emailed and phoned countless times. Apparently if they've debited your credit card for fee it's being processed: well they haven't debited my card! What's going on? I need my registration as have to be in Oz by 24/12 and can't go till its thro as can't work. Absolute nightmare. Some lady in Adelaide said I've not to worry as she's sure I'll have it by December! If my visa expires they can shove it. I knew this would happen but found out too late to apply before deadline.

Good luck to one & all!

The state of Victoria took my money in june, but still no joy ............ I was hoping to be in oz by end of sept. I hope you get your registration soon so you can be in oz for xmas.

I hope everyone will continue to update their progress, so i dont feel like the only one going through the hell thats is getting nurse registration.

Guest SunshineSmile
under national law, applications received by AHPRA have to be processed in 90 days from when they received them. you will definately get your reg before dec! as soon as they lift the stop on overseas assessments for reg they will clear the back log (I hope as I applied in april!) and then get on to the new ones. So next time you talk to them tell them you are aware that they have to process yours in 90 days!

Yes Annie i noticed that too.. 90 days isnt the worst timeframe to be waiting but how are they enforced to stick to that i wonder??? :policeman:

Im choosing to be positive here and im going to say that they are not answering emails or phonecalls about overseas nurse enquiries because as another poster states they dont have the guidelines to process us all yet... and because they are busy sorting out their own nurses first (understandably).. so, at least that means they are actually busy people.. which means hopefully they will get thru their own registrations quickly and therefore do the same with ours when they start them.. :twitcy:

Guest Andie33

hi all

i applied to QNC in April and since then have had similar, they posted all the application docs back to me asking for more information, which i promptly posted back. Then more, then posted back, i think i;ve been really stupid I should have held onto it all again and sent it to ANMC instead as was planning on registration first. Sent numerous online requests for where do i send the last piece of info too and did they get a letter my employer sent etc etc? but no go, dont really want to start again with all the docs and certifying as the notary i was using is a pain in the arse...but still.

by the way has anyone seen the new criteria for certification? i was reading on the APHRA website today that it has to be notary or JP or other australia trained person, solicitors no longer appear for overseas....(another bummer for me and reason why i dont want to start again ;-(

good to know we are all the same tho :rolleyes:

i should have applied years ago, I have a 17month old and want to get there before he;s 5!!! ;-(

Andie x

Guest isabel

Hi everyone,

Here is one more in the same boat! sharing the same feelings of frustration and anger as you guys :arghh:

Waiting, waiting and waiting...I am so sick and tired of AHPRA :no:

Isabel

Guest SunshineSmile

Hi guys .. bumping up and also can anyone tell me exactly who can notorise your documents.. i cant find the info on the APHRA website and just read another poster here said you cant use a solicitor anymore.. and we dont have JP's here in Ireland!!!!:arghh: yet more obstacles.. what a FARCE :twitcy:

Guest annieross

i dont know how they could say no to solicitors to be honest! i think there is a fact sheet about it on AHPRA website though.

The queensland nurses union forwarded me a reply they received from AHPRA re my case, it said they were trying to clarify the requirements for overseas nurses still but it was from the manager of the nursing board and so i am hoping they have been given a kick up the arse to sort out this discrimating mess!

Guest SunshineSmile
i dont know how they could say no to solicitors to be honest! i think there is a fact sheet about it on AHPRA website though.

The queensland nurses union forwarded me a reply they received from AHPRA re my case, it said they were trying to clarify the requirements for overseas nurses still but it was from the manager of the nursing board and so i am hoping they have been given a kick up the arse to sort out this discrimating mess!

:arghh: I cant understand why they are clarifying requirements for overseas nurses??? how is it that they have a form to fill out especially for us overseas nurses and then they say they havent decided on the requirements to practise???????????????????

Why should our requirements to practise be any different from Australian nurses.. or am i picking this up all wrong? confused.com :wacko: and id say im not the only one!!!

I must say Annie it does sound promising that the Nurses Union got a reply from the manager of the nurses board.. there must surely be some concern on their behalf about the daily growing pile of applications from overseas nurses? One would hope so!!!

Im all for the kick up the arse tactic ! :wink:

Archived