6 months limit?

Guest jigish

Guest jigish

Hello guys,

I am confused about this 6 months limit on onshore students. After completion of studies, if i want to get my studies assessed from ACS, should it be within 6 moths from completion date or I can do it whenever I want to?

Thanks

Guest archetype

It should be within 6 months of completion date of course. The completion date would be written on your Statement of Academic Completion.

The link below specifies the requirements.

Its not 6 months but 18 months for Group C. http://www.acs.org.au/assessment/docs/Current_PIMGuidelines.pdf

In page 6, section 2.4.6 it says:

There is no requirement for work experience for Group C applicants who apply within

completion of the degree but within 18 months of course completion.

Otherwise I think you need to lodge under Group A showing 2 years of work experience in the nominated field.

Guest jigish

Its not 6 months but 18 months for Group C. http://www.acs.org.au/assessment/docs/Current_PIMGuidelines.pdf

Otherwise I think you need to lodge under Group A showing 2 years of work experience in the nominated field.

Is this updated guidelines, because I thought it was 6 months?

Is this updated guidelines, because I thought it was 6 months?

Sorry I think that was out of date.

This is current one off their main skilll assessment web page.

http://www.acs.org.au/assessment/docs/PASAGuidelinesforApplicants.doc

It says:

Applicants are assessed in this group when the Application for Skills Assessment submitted to the ACS indicates that the applicant is seeking recent work experience exemption under the DIAC provisions currently in place for applicants who meet the Australian study requirement.

So if you have done a degree in IT in Australia, you obviously met the study requirement hence can have recent work experience exemption. If I am right its better news as there is no time limit. So in theory if I had finished my degree in 1980 and can still apply under group C with no work experience.

Hope any agent can verify it for us.

Sorry I think that was out of date.

This is current one off their main skilll assessment web page.

http://www.acs.org.au/assessment/docs/PASAGuidelinesforApplicants.doc

It says:

So if you have done a degree in IT in Australia, you obviously met the study requirement hence can have recent work experience exemption. If I am right its better news as there is no time limit. So in theory if I had finished my degree in 1980 and can still apply under group C with no work experience.

Hope any agent can verify it for us.

woow...that's promising now!!! I thought it was 6 months...but now it's 18 months, yet I would not be able to apply since I completed my degree in July 2008, but if USer NAme as you say we could find out from any of our agents about the above you stated then we may all benefit from it!! (ACS PASA)

CAT (4), 885 applied 2008 AUG, ICT - Recent graduate NEC, IELTS 8.0, NAATI qualified, Currently employed as a ICT Project Officer

woow...that's promising now!!! I thought it was 6 months...but now it's 18 months, yet I would not be able to apply since I completed my degree in July 2008, but if USer NAme as you say we could find out from any of our agents about the above you stated then we may all benefit from it!! (ACS PASA)

CAT (4), 885 applied 2008 AUG, ICT - Recent graduate NEC, IELTS 8.0, NAATI qualified, Currently employed as a ICT Project Officer

It was 18 in the outdated pdf. There is no time limit for group C as per that word document.

It was 18 in the outdated pdf. There is no time limit for group C as per that word document.

Lets wait until one of the agents comment....

Jigish,

I take that you want to apply for onshore GSM visa (485/885) on the basis of ACS skills assessment with work experience waiver?

If so, you will need to apply for 485/885/886 within 6 months of course completion and must have applied for ACS before that (for 485) and have successful skills assessment (for 885/886).

Hi Jag,

Does that imply that we can still get assessed under Group C with no work experience?

I know it was 18 months since graduation but looks like they got rid of that too.

Sincerely hope that one of our agents comment on this!

Yes, you can get assessed under Group C with no work experience.

Also read below from the latest PASA Guidelines:

GROUP C (suitable)

Applicants are assessed in this group when the Application for Skills Assessment submitted to the ACS indicates that the applicant is seeking recent work experience exemption under the DIAC provisions currently in place for applicants who meet the Australian study requirement.

Applicants must provide evidence that they have an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Bachelor (undergraduate) degree or Graduate Diploma or higher degree level qualification with a major in ICT in a highly relevant field to the nominated occupation.

References for IT Professional work experience may also be included in the PASA Application if applicants wish to have their professional IT experience taken into consideration.

If applicable, the length of study in Australia and the time limit for submitting an application for an Onshore Overseas Student General - Skilled Migration (GSM) visa are not components of the PASA (Pre-Application Skills Assessment) and are not assessed by the ACS. These requirements are set and assessed by DIAC.

Yes, you can get assessed under Group C with no work experience.

Also read below from the latest PASA Guidelines:

GROUP C (suitable)

Applicants must provide evidence that they have an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Bachelor (undergraduate) degree or Graduate Diploma or higher degree level qualification with a major in ICT in a highly relevant field to the nominated occupation.

References for IT Professional work experience may also be included in the PASA Application if applicants wish to have their professional IT experience taken into consideration.

If applicable, the length of study in Australia and the time limit for submitting an application for an Onshore Overseas Student General - Skilled Migration (GSM) visa are not components of the PASA (Pre-Application Skills Assessment) and are not assessed by the ACS. These requirements are set and assessed by DIAC.

Any New Zealanders applying for PR after completion of their university studies in OZ ?

I am one of of those. Just finished my studies last month and will be applying for PR. Which visa is right for me? So far, 175 visa looks like my best option. Could an agent confirm that that's the right one. Since i am not an international student.

A bit confused atm.

Kind regards,

Thomas

Sincerely hope that one of our agents comment on this!

So yeah can get assessed under group C without the need to show work experience.

For those of us for whom ENS is still a good country mile out of scope, best option is lodging another 885/886 while 485 is still active.

Processing time is 18 months from date of lodgement for CAT3.

Why would you bother? As New Zealand citizen you can live and work here as long as you like. A NZ citizen is like PR in Australia by default.

That is true, but i don't want to feel like a tourist with a work permit ;-). I pay taxes and therefore must be entitled to everything !!!! This includes things such as being able to vote. Since you can't vote without being an Australian citizen... That is my rationale behind it.

PASA guidelines for applicants suitable for Group C states:

"Applicants are assessed in this group when the Application for Skills Assessment submitted to the ACS indicates that the applicant is seeking recent work experience exemption under the DIAC provisions currently in place for applicants who meet the Australian study requirement"

Note the text in bold...

1) Recent work experience exemption:

you do not need to meet the work experience requirement if you meet the Australian

study requirement less than 6 months before lodging your visa application. Refer to http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf page 8

2) Australian study requirement

• be registered on CRICOS as being a total of at least 92 weeks

duration;

• be completed in no less than 16 calendar months

• have been undertaken while in Australia; and

• have had all instruction conducted in English.

Refer to http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf (page 6)

Thus there is a 6 month limit I believe....

The document date is 23rd February 2009. Surely it must be outdated ....

PASA guidelines for applicants suitable for Group C states:

"Applicants are assessed in this group when the Application for Skills Assessment submitted to the ACS indicates that the applicant is seeking recent work experience exemption under the DIAC provisions currently in place for applicants who meet the Australian study requirement"

Note the text in bold...

1) Recent work experience exemption:

you do not need to meet the work experience requirement if you meet the

Australian

study requirement less than 6 months before lodging your visa application. Refer to http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf page 8

2) Australian study requirement

• be registered on CRICOS as being a total of at least 92 weeks

duration;

• be completed in no less than 16 calendar months

• have been undertaken while in Australia; and

• have had all instruction conducted in English.

Refer to http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf (page 6)

Thus there is a 6 month limit I believe....

That 6 month is for applying for visa. It is different from applying from PASA.

People get mixed up with the requirements of 885/886 with PASA application. The 6 month is for 885/886 only unless you have a 485 visa. In that case you may lodge your PR any time in the duration of your 485.

For group C you can lodge PASA any time provided you met the Australia Study Requirement. You have to meet the study requirement anyway to lodge the visa. Makes no sense applying for skill assessment without meeting the study requirement because even if you get positive assessment, you wont be able to lodge visa.

The document date is 23rd February 2009. Surely it must be outdated ....

Yes, it is. Here is the lastest one: http://www.acs.org.au/assessment/docs/PASAGuidelinesforApplicants.doc

People get mixed up with the requirements of 885/886 with PASA application. The 6 month is for 885/886 only unless you have a 485 visa. In that case you may lodge your PR any time in the duration of your 485.

For group C you can lodge PASA any time provided you met the Australia Study Requirement. You have to meet the study requirement anyway to lodge the visa. Makes no sense applying for skill assessment without meeting the study requirement because even if you get positive assessment, you wont be able to lodge visa.

Yes, it is. Here is the lastest one: http://www.acs.org.au/assessment/docs/PASAGuidelinesforApplicants.doc

So this means for people who graduated in 2008, we cannot apply for 885/886, but we could lodge a PASA and probably go for State Sponsorship when they are published..... good for the ones who has not 2+ work exp. but has met the study req.

Am I correct?

Ahh i c.. so even if you meet the Austalia Study Requirements and lodge ur PASA under group C with a resulting positive assessment you cannot lodge an onshore/offshore visa (885/886/175/176/485) if you completed the course (that you used to meet the Australia Study Requirements) more than 6 months ago.

Thus the net effect is that if you completed the course more than 6 months ago you cannot lodge a visa without work experience...

So this means for people who graduated in 2008, we cannot apply for 885/886, but we could lodge a PASA and probably go for State Sponsorship when they are published..... good for the ones who has not 2+ work exp. but has met the study req.

Am I correct?

Yes. If you have 485 however you can relodge you PR. If that's expired or never lodged then state sponsorship and ENS might be the only way to go.

Ahh i c.. so even if you meet the Austalia Study Requirements and lodge ur PASA under group C with a resulting positive assessment you cannot lodge an onshore/offshore visa (885/886/175/176/485) if you completed the course (that you used to meet the Australia Study Requirements) more than 6 months ago.

Thus the net effect is that if you completed the course more than 6 months ago you cannot lodge a visa without work experience...

Yes and that's where TR comes in handy so you have this flexibility.

Yes and that's where TR comes in handy so you have this flexibility.

that's like punishing those of us who had enough points to lodge the 885 directly without having to go through the TR route .... :Randy-git:

Hopefully they would correct this anomaly soon, surely they can't be any dumber you would think !

Archived