and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest gaz157

visiting and maybe working in OZ

Guest gaz157

hi

i am thinking about visiting or maybe working in oz , in 1990 i was convicted of shoplifting, and was fined £100 with no prison sentence. it was my first and only offence. i have got a police certificate that has no live trace on it . will this effect me obtaining a visa ?

Guest steve the spark
hi

i am thinking about visiting or maybe working in oz , in 1990 i was convicted of shoplifting, and was fined £100 with no prison sentence. it was my first and only offence. i have got a police certificate that has no live trace on it . will this effect me obtaining a visa ?

no it wont as a rule of thumb it only custodial sentances that get looked at

but ironically 200 hundred years ago that would have got you a free ticket here :biglaugh:

Guest gaz157

hi thanks for your responce i asked the same question to info@visasforaustralia.co.uk. i got this reply Hi Garry

Thanks for your enquiry. You will need to declare your conviction on any visa application and will be required to provide further information. You can apply for a copy of your police clearance certificate which will show the details of the offence. You will also be required to present a personal statement of events leading up to and including the offence.

Based on the information you have given, we would not expect a visa application to be refused. However, we cannot make any guarantees as all visas are issued at the discretion of the Australian government.

Best regards

Emma

so havent got a clue which info is correct

Hi Gary,

Emma is quite correct. You will have to declare the offence.

If you come here for a holiday you will have to use the 676 visa and not the 976 ETA visa.

The PCC which says 'No live trace' is also telling everyone that there are one or more convictions which have been 'stepped down' in accordance with UK law.

You will have to make a submission explaining the facts but you should not be affected by s501 of the Migration Act. To have s501 come into play there usually has to be a custodial sentence in excess of twelve months or else a pattern of offences, unless the offence(s) involve violence or drugs.

Les Mighalls BDS LLB(Hons) LDS FACLM, MARA Reg. No. 0639714

Migration Assistance Australia

www.migrationassistance.com.au