Help - Air conditioning in Vic!!

Guest sunnyday

Guest sunnyday

Do you feel its neccesary to have air conditioning to cope with the summer or can/do you live without it? Would you say its unbearable to be without it? Enquiring minds NEED to know.

:wubclub:

Guest stockies
Do you feel its neccesary to have air conditioning to cope with the summer or can/do you live without it? Would you say its unbearable to be without it? Enquiring minds NEED to know.

Hi Sunnyday.......Sorry dont live in Vic but we do live in QLD and I havnt used the Aircon and it gets well humid here, not sure how humid Vic gets. Hopefully someone will come along soon. All I know is , that its expensive to run.

Claire. xx

Guest trophy

We live in Mordialloc in a weatherboard (wooden shed thing) and you will find you will need some sort of cooling, fans, refridge or evaporative. refrigde is best but can be expensive, evap will cope most days unless it gets 40+ then it does struggle but with fans it is bearable.Enjoy the warmth

Guest gary12

YES!!!! We moved into our home last November, we were going to hold out until the end of summer (needed to save) but lets just say after my husband telling me one to many times that his office was lovely and cool we had evap cooling installed. We found it has worked perfectly for us. If it gets very humid we are told it won't work as well but we don't get the humidity like they have in QLD so not a problem. To be honest when it hit 40+ the air con unit we also have struggled to cope.

It cools the house to a temperature where you are able to sleep. It is awful when it hits 40, you feel you are going to keel over just taking the bin out so if you have nothing in the house that means you can escape it, it is so draining.

Failing that cold water bottles stored in the fridge, damp sheets also stored in the fridge (even had to chuck the beer out!) can help.

I notice you are looking for a rental, make sure you get one with a good heating system, it's cold in winter trust me you won't feel it this year but next ....

Regards

Michelle

Hi Sunny

Even the portable box airconditioners are good, they use up a lot of power though, not the most economical, but they give you one room where it is cool at least. Otherwise sometimes you just can't breathe if the heat goes on for days at a time. I had a ceiling fan installed in my bedroom which helps a lot, but in my main room I have a split system (heating and cooling - a Mitsubishi inverter wall unit).

Hope you are settling in okay:smile:

We have it and I think its needed if anyone is going to be home all day, if you work then you may get by without it.

When we know its going to be hot, we close all the curtains and blinds which are block out, keep all windows shut and that way we find that we do not have to put the aircon on until late in the day.

We have refrigerated two units which we put in over the summer and take out for the rest of the year.

If you have evaporative you have to have a window or door open a bit.

If you elect to have double story you will need aircon as the top of the house gets very very warm.

We finally got it after living here 35 years- until then we used portable fans. The weather seems to be a bit warmer now though and when you get 40C + - you need it. You would switch it on probably about 6 weeks per year. We got reverse cycle so you can use it for heating in Winter too. The Good Guys shops have some bargains usually, we found.

we have evaporative cooling, and although admittedly Monbulk doesnt get as warm as in the city, when it does hit 40+ it struggles a bit to keep the house cool, luckily we are sheltered by gums in the arvo, so it just about suffices.

I prefer evaporative over airco, because I feel airco is too extreme, from hot to cold, and evaporative is a maximum difference of 10 degrees with the ambient temperature.

Archived