Citizenship Enquiry

hoorayhenry

Hello

I've got a bit of a convoluted question and home someone can help me!.........

I arrived in Oz mid-July 2008 on a GSM, permanent residency visa. I am hoping to apply for citizenship, which I believe I can do in 4 years time, i.e. mid-July 2012.

I am hoping to go travelling outside of Oz sometime in 2011. I haven't made definite plans yet because I am wondering if there is a limit as to how many days/months I can be away from Australia before it starts to affect my application for citizenship.

Do I have to remain in Australia for the whole four years or will I be able to go on my long trip?

Any advice / help would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks

HH

Guest NeilanGemz

I have no answer for you matey but was wondering about the whole citizenship situ myself. Its four years before you can apply then? I thought previously that it was only 2? Like I say I really don't know much about it :-)

Just had a read, you have to have been lawfully resident (temporary or permanent) for four years, of which at least 12months has to be as permanent resident. During that time, you cannot be outside australia for more than 12months of which no more than 90 days during the year preceeding your citizenship application.

So it looks like you could go for 90 days, provided that's the only holiday you take in the 12 months before your citizenship application.

Guest coogeebeach

Any time abroad will not count towards your 4 years of residence. So if you spend 3 months outside of Australia within those 4 years you would not be able to apply in July 2012 but October 2012.

Any time abroad will not count towards your 4 years of residence. So if you spend 3 months outside of Australia within those 4 years you would not be able to apply in July 2012 but October 2012.

No, that's not correct. If you read the rules, they state:

• have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying, including one year as a permanent resident, and

• not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, in the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year before applying.

So, as the above says, being away for as long as a year doesn't increase the time required from 4 years to 5. The only way the time increases is if the time away is longer than 3 months AND is in the year immediately before applying OR if it is longer than 12 months at any time during the 4 years.

• 1 month later...

I think the interpretation is otherwise. The rule is as below and now i am confused after reading you message.

I quote from the immi website

• You must not have been absent from Australia for more than 1 year during the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year immediately before applying.

I think it means that, cumulatively you are allowed to be out of Australia for one year in the four years b4 applying. However, i am not confident... I have put another post on this side and will update this when i get more clarity. I hope i am wrong ( wishful thinking ) :unsure: