Attention Onshore Nurses (in VIC)

Jeffster

Received this today:

"Please find this information forwarded to you on behalf of the Western Suburbs Legal Service Inc.

There is expected a large group of approximately 200 (hopefully) international students who have completed a Bachelor of Nursing degree protesting on the steps of Parliament House on Wednesday, 11 August 2010 at approximately 1pm.

The reason they are protesting is because the new Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia has introduced new requirements as of 1 July 2010 which require all students who have not completed their secondary schooling in English to sit an IELTS test and achieve minimum 7.0 in all components, in one sitting, prior to registration. Students were not given notification of this requirement in advance or prior to completion of their degrees.

Students completed around the time this new requirement was introduced.

Visas expire approx 30 August 2010. Disastrous situation for the students as their only option at this stage, if they want to register, is to go on a tourist visa (no work rights) and prepare for the test and sit it. Or, potentially go on another student visa. This change is Australia wide and will affect international students studying nursing in each state.

Guest sunnyday

Isn't that absolutley ridiculous!! It's bad enough that it has to be completed by nurses that have passed diplomas and degrees in the English Language but even worse when these students have completed there degrees on Oz soil, there must be an individual responsible for these crazy decisions and they should be called to account, I hope it happens but I won't hold my breath!

the ielts test has become the benchmark to assess people competencies across Australia and that is so wrong. How can an English test designed for entry into a university course be given priority over other factors such as competence and experience? It should be the other way around. Patients are looking for a competent, skillful, and experienced nurses. The lack of language proficiency can be compensated via on job-training or intensive english classes through elicos. Language is not really an issue here. the latest policy applied retrospectively as usual is part of an attempt to cut the number of migrants in a election year. That is shameful...

The migration institute of Australia and other organizations have suggested the end of the single rule regarding the ielts test requirements. They pointed out that due to the subjectivity of the test, the current methodology of assessment is counter-effective and be complemented with an alternative. However, all recommendations were disregarded ( Why? )

here's the link of the MIA recommendation: http://mia.org.au/media/File/1_2009_03_DP_English_Language_Competency_Levels_2.pdf

Received this today:

"Please find this information forwarded to you on behalf of the Western Suburbs Legal Service Inc.

There is expected a large group of approximately 200 (hopefully) international students who have completed a Bachelor of Nursing degree protesting on the steps of Parliament House on Wednesday, 11 August 2010 at approximately 1pm.

The reason they are protesting is because the new Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia has introduced new requirements as of 1 July 2010 which require all students who have not completed their secondary schooling in English to sit an IELTS test and achieve minimum 7.0 in all components, in one sitting, prior to registration. Students were not given notification of this requirement in advance or prior to completion of their degrees.

Students completed around the time this new requirement was introduced.

Visas expire approx 30 August 2010. Disastrous situation for the students as their only option at this stage, if they want to register, is to go on a tourist visa (no work rights) and prepare for the test and sit it. Or, potentially go on another student visa. This change is Australia wide and will affect international students studying nursing in each state.

That's what you can expect from this Minister. I saw this news on some of the Indian news channels yesterday. That's the impact. So, I think instead of posting to Ombudsman and writing to Minister will not do anything. So I would request all the applicants who are in Australia and are effected by these continuous changes should raise their voices by protests like this. And it's an election time and it will be sounded very loudly across Australia and other parts of world through media.

Guest Mary Cockerill

What a horrible situation these nurses are now in. If they are passing the nursing degrees surely that would indicate that they have the required English proficiency. Perhaps it would be better that future overseas students should be required to sit and pass the IELTS examinations before they undertake their respective courses. I do think that it is very unfair to make these changes retrospectively. I get the idea that most of the assessing bodies may introduce this requirement over time. This is painful for everyone. grrrrr.

The migration institute of Australia and other organizations have suggested the end of the single rule regarding the ielts test requirements. They pointed out that due to the subjectivity of the test, the current methodology of assessment is counter-effective and be complemented with an alternative. However, all recommendations were disregarded ( Why? )

here's the link of the MIA recommendation: http://mia.org.au/media/File/1_2009_03_DP_English_Language_Competency_Levels_2.pdf

Ignoring MIA and MARA is a common thing, they warned the Government of the looming PR crisis 4 years ago and were ignored.

Pulled an interesting thing from that docment:

"It is these Direct Entry English and Pathway programs that have been under increasing scrutiny by those critical of the current English language levels of some overseas students and those seeking to change from student to permanent migration visas. One of the most vocal critics has been Professor Bob Birrell, a Monash University researcher, who has recently completed a study of the English language level of international students educated at Australian universities who have applied for skilled migration visas, including those applying as accountants. His research revealed that in 2006/07, of the 8130 foreign accountants granted Australian visas, the majority studied their degrees at Australian tertiary institutions. Only 38% of these were able to score level 5.0 or higher on the IELTS General Training Module after graduation."

Graduated "Accountants" are seriously beginning to pi$$ me off.

Guest Gollywobbler
Ignoring MIA and MARA is a common thing, they warned the Government of the looming PR crisis 4 years ago and were ignored.

Pulled an interesting thing from that docment:

"It is these Direct Entry English and Pathway programs that have been under increasing scrutiny by those critical of the current English language levels of some overseas students and those seeking to change from student to permanent migration visas. One of the most vocal critics has been Professor Bob Birrell, a Monash University researcher, who has recently completed a study of the English language level of international students educated at Australian universities who have applied for skilled migration visas, including those applying as accountants. His research revealed that in 2006/07, of the 8130 foreign accountants granted Australian visas, the majority studied their degrees at Australian tertiary institutions. Only 38% of these were able to score level 5.0 or higher on the IELTS General Training Module after graduation."

Graduated "Accountants" are seriously beginning to pi$$ me off.

Hi Jeffster

Thanks very much for the information above.

Personally, my view is that Birrell has revealed just what a racket the International Education sector has become in Australia, with Packer Jr's empire running a separate racket of its own with the IELTS. Officially the Aussie Government does not approve of rackets that are designed to rort money out of people. In practice they provide the core funding for the universities and they insist on the IELTS....

Cheers

Gill

As a patient I hope that all those nurses can pass the test, if they cannot then personally I would be very unhappy. Communication is so important in health matters. Deaf and elderly people find it hard enough to understand people.

If the students are worried then I am worried as they should not be worried about their competency and I wonder what the heck are our universities doing.

Its not just a ticket to Aus

As a patient I hope that all those nurses can pass the test, if they cannot then personally I would be very unhappy. Communication is so important in health matters. Deaf and elderly people find it hard enough to understand people.

If the students are worried then I am worried as they should not be worried about their competency and I wonder what the heck are our universities doing.

Its not just a ticket to Aus

Petals,

The nursing course is a very demanding one. Apart from the usual academic jazz (lectures, exams, assignments, etc), student nurses have to pass numerous clinical placements (few weeks every semester - unpaid), clinical hurdles and have to demonstrate practical skills in a simulated environment.

The clinical placements are allotted by the university and students often have no choice over the facility. If the hospitals are far, they have to travel for hours and work evening/night/weekend shifts.

Again with the immigration, the process is a bit hard for nurses due to the registration requirements. Nurses CANNOT apply for any onshore visa UNLESS they have received their nursing registration and applied for the skills assessment. The registration process itself is taking forever these days (due to the new national board from 1st July).

A few questions for you:

• Do you really think that if a nurse cannot pronounce your name properly, or has an accent, or makes a few grammatical mistakes, that he/she is not competent to take care of yourself?

• Do you really think that passing an English test will make a nurse competent?

• Do you really think that hospitals would employ them if they are that incompetent?

I agree that communication is important in healthcare - but would you prefer a nurse with language difficulties or no nurse at all?

These are the skills that are required in regional Victoria: Regional Skilled Migration Coordinators - Live in Victoria

Click on any area and I'm sure that you'll find nurses at top of the critical shortage list. We are talking about people's lives here and in my opinion that is far more important than a bloody English exam!

As some of the students already have a job offer, employers must have judged them to be competent enough to practice as a nurse . In deciding to impose an English test for registration, the new members of the board have shown to a bunch of incompetent politicians not acting in the interest of the nursing sector. Their actions significantly undermine the purpose of the migration program. they need to be replaced.

Guest Noodle

Without meaning to upset anyone! In the UK if you are a mature student and wish to study Higher Education you are required to sit your Math, English and Science GCSE before you can do the Access to Higher Education Course (Equivalent to A Levels). You are then interviewed for University (Nursing, Teaching, Lawyer etc...), if your results are good enough then you get a place.

Maybe if all immigrants were to take, and have to pass, an English test of some sort, then I would be able to be understood in A&E and not get sent home to my local Doctor to diagnose!!!

However, I do not feel it is fair to accept people as students and not request the IELTS test is done until after the their course has finished.

Best wishes to all and the best of luck. x

• 1 year later...

Archived