Criminal background indicated on VISA

Guest Mag

Dear all

About to apply for a working holiday visa.

Have a minor offence in the past >5 years ago and was sentenced to pay a fine (not prison).

If granted a VISA and I choose to go to Australia and apply for a job, is there any way that the employer can find out my criminal background?

For example when he/she's checking my visa in VEVO (online visa verification)

Does he/she only get info that the I'm entitled to work in Australia or does she get "all" the info i.e criminal background etc.

I will be 100 % honest when applying for the VISA, that's why I'm wondering.

Many thanks and best regards

Guest coogeebeach
Dear all

Have a minor offence in the past >5 years ago and was sentenced to pay a fine (not prison).

If granted a VISA and I choose to go to Australia and apply for a job, is there any way that the employer can find out my criminal background?

Does he/she only get info that the I'm entitled to work in Australia or does she get "all" the info i.e criminal background etc.

VEVE show details like your passport number, visa subclass, grant and expiry date, travel permit and conditions attached to your visa. I´m pretty sure it does not give any details about criminal records that you have disclosed to DIAC.

Dear all

No they will not disclose any of your information to any 3rd party as this is breach of the Data protection act. I had drink driving on my application and I was sponsored by my employer.

Dear Coogee and Stewe

Many thanks for your replies

Another questions. If granted a VISA (before going) can the immigration staff at the airport still refuse you to enter Australia when at the airport?

Even though I fulfil the main conditions, valid ticket home, valid Visa, enough funds in my account etc.

Best regards

An immigration officer can still refuse you entry but would need a good reason to do so. If you have a valid visa, have been honest in your application and your circumstances have not radically altered since your application then it is difficult to see what the reason would be.

So don't worry.

Archived