Racing bike prices in Oz.

Guest sophie n mike

Guest sophie n mike

Anyone out there into cycling?

I don't know whether to buy a new bike in the uk and have it shipped out there when we come in a few months or wait.

What are prices like for a middle of the range road bike? I don't need a carbon fibre frame just yet but a few mod cons wouldn't go a miss. I'd probably be spending about a grand in england. Also what are the main brands out there??

Sophie.

It was a few years ago but my oh had one built for him and it cost about $3500.00. In Melbourne there are a lot of places you could buy a good bike. Also there are those that fit them. OH had it fitted by one lot and built by the Bicycle superstore. Got the colour etc most important:laugh:

OH tends to think bikes in Uk are expensive he is always moaning about the prices in his mags.

Guest chris955

A good mate here bought one when he was in London a year or so ago because he saved something like $1200 by buying it there. I didn't even know you could spend $1200 on a pushbike let alone save that much. :laugh:

Bikes do not come cheap if into serious cycling. However a lot of people buy top of the range bikes all the gear and then give it up so Trading Post is a good place to start if you want to pick up a good second hand bike with all the trimmings.

Both my son and oh are cyclists and oh used to belong to the Southern Vet which is very good club to join for anyone interested racing. Audax is also very good for those wanting the long distance challenge. Alpine classic is a good ride for those that like to climb in Bright in January each year.