You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

swifty99

citizenship by descent question

Just a quick question about citizenship by descent, i have been granted it as my dad was an australian citizen at the time of my birth, just wanted to know when i have been a citizen in australia for 2 years or more would my son then be able to apply for citizenship by descent or is it only if i was a citizen at the time of his birth (he is 18) will be 21 when he wants to move to australia.

Thanks

So you were not born in Australia but your dad was right......

To hold citizenship by descent it only goes for 1 generation. So if you have Citizenship by descent it cannot be passed on to your children.

My children all have citizenship by descent..but because we now live in Australia if they go on to have kids here in Australia then they would be Australian Citizens in their own right. But if my children go back to the UK and then have kids in the UK..those children would be UK citizens only.

Hope this makes sense.

Sue

Sue (44) Steve (51) Scott (17) Bradley (9) Sophie (5)

Jake - Little Ozzie Angel:angel_happy_face_ha

Spouse visa (PR) granted 17.4.09. In Secret Harbour 29.4.09..loving it!!!!!

yes that makes sense thank you so he wil have to look at family visa when he comes out

So you were not born in Australia but your dad was right......

To hold citizenship by descent it only goes for 1 generation. So if you have Citizenship by descent it cannot be passed on to your children.

My children all have citizenship by descent..but because we now live in Australia if they go on to have kids here in Australia then they would be Australian Citizens in their own right. But if my children go back to the UK and then have kids in the UK..those children would be UK citizens only.

Hope this makes sense.

Sue

Not quite right actually. If your kids have lived here for more than 2 years then go back to UK and have their kids, they can apply for Citizenship by descent too. I checked this out because my son is living in UK and any kids he has are going to be born there.