Shipping Quotes for 20ft container - reasonable??

Shaz36

Hi,

I got 3 shipping companies to quote for a 20ft container, sole use, and got 3 very similar prices:

Crown-£4170 (includes AQIS fee, around $440)

Doree Bonner - £4100 (included 8wks free storage)

PSS - $4050

I was expecting prices of around £3600 based on other posters quotes. Does this sound reasonable, and how do you get them down if you dont have a cheap quote to play them off with? I ruled out PSS, and its between Crown and DB, would prefer DB. They said they had lots of 'other' offers, like putting $200 into your account if you open it with their recommended bank, pick up from the airport, half day orientation around Brisbane, and more to be confirmed. I would prefer money off the shipping though!

Crown said they couldnt come down on the shipping price but could offer something on the insurance.

Any haggling advice gratefully appreciated!

Shaz

I had a quote from Atlantis Overseas Removals International Removals | Shipping to Spain | Australia | New Zealand | Portugal | Overseas Removals and recieved it via email and the price was good but I didn't fancy using them but I used their quote to get John Mason to drop their price.

Maybe worth a try

Found these cheaper for insurance also

http://www.insure-your-move.com/

Howard

Hope you dont mind me asking Shaz but where are you basedin the UK and where are you off to in OZ, I only ask because my quite came through from Crown today and it is £4,840.00 for a 20 foot container ....

sole use, and got 3 very similar priceI am just wondering because we are only in a small two bed terrace, and it is not even as if we have that many breakable items to be packed either as we are only a family of 4.

I hope you could either PM me so I can go back to them and find out how come our prices are so differeint for pretty much the same sort of space.

Thanks

Hi,

I got 3 shipping companies to quote for a 20ft container, sole use, and got 3 very similar prices:

Crown-£4170 (includes AQIS fee, around $440)

Doree Bonner - £4100 (included 8wks free storage)

PSS - $4050

I was expecting prices of around £3600 based on other posters quotes. Does this sound reasonable, and how do you get them down if you dont have a cheap quote to play them off with? I ruled out PSS, and its between Crown and DB, would prefer DB. They said they had lots of 'other' offers, like putting $200 into your account if you open it with their recommended bank, pick up from the airport, half day orientation around Brisbane, and more to be confirmed. I would prefer money off the shipping though!

Crown said they couldnt come down on the shipping price but could offer something on the insurance.

Any haggling advice gratefully appreciated!

Shaz

It's based on an estimate of the cubic feet your goods will take up in the container.

We used Anglo-Pacific, the quote was about 4000 or something like that, and the packers were fantastic - always polite, worked with us really well, and not a single thing broke in transit as they'd packed so well.

Thanks JJ,

943 cubic feet net 1x20ft sole use container Quarantine Inspection Fee

This is all that they sent us with the price - is there any chance you remember what your Cubic feet was or if Shaz36 if you could give me an idea of yours. really I just wanted to know so that I can go back to them and try and get the price down a bit.

It's based on an estimate of the cubic feet your goods will take up in the container.

We used Anglo-Pacific, the quote was about 4000 or something like that, and the packers were fantastic - always polite, worked with us really well, and not a single thing broke in transit as they'd packed so well.

Guest Michael Rimmer

We managed to get crown down to £4,100 (with an additional reduction in their insurance - although still double insureyourmove.com...)

We did have another quote from Excess International Removers (who were cheaper but do use sub contractors and don't include the AQIS fee) and then I asked crown to come down to this quote. They didn't manage it but did get close.

Our initial cubic feet was 750 and the 20 foot container holds 1,000 so I was told so we had some space which we have now filled.

We are going from Leeds to Brisbane at the end of August. The container should arrive in Brisbane on 14th October with a bit of luck.

Thanks Michael Rimmer -

Did they charge you more for filling the container up then because if we have free space they did say it would cost more to fill... I just dont know how the prices can differ so much we are surrey based and moving to Sydney £800 =- difference .

We managed to get crown down to £4,100 (with an additional reduction in their insurance - although still double insureyourmove.com...)

We did have another quote from Excess International Removers (who were cheaper but do use sub contractors and don't include the AQIS fee) and then I asked crown to come down to this quote. They didn't manage it but did get close.

Our initial cubic feet was 750 and the 20 foot container holds 1,000 so I was told so we had some space which we have now filled.

We are going from Leeds to Brisbane at the end of August. The container should arrive in Brisbane on 14th October with a bit of luck.

Guest Michael Rimmer

No, not paying anymore, as I am apying for the qwhole container so would take issue with that cbms.

Our initial quote was £4,600 so there is room for them to come down.

I think you need to get another quote and then once you have proof then they will come down.

Negotiate hard!

We got John Mason down to £3480 for a sole use 20ft, no limit on cubic usage. Be careful because unless you negotiate the cubic usage they will charge you if they go over when they come to pack it!!!!

Don't know what they are like yet, our container set sail on Tuesday.

Melanie x

Thanks Melanie ... we have had them out and had a price so I guess it is time see how good my negotiation skills are.

Hi CBMS,

My quotes were for 950 cubic feet, and I've just checked with DB and there would be no additional charge if I fill it, it takes 1050 cubic feet.

Crown based it on around 850 cubic feet, and there would be an additional charge if I fill it, although I would have sole use of it, and they say it incurs extra charge for the labour and packing materials, so they could give me a cheaper quote if I reduce my cubic feet usage. I dont think I will go with them because of that. Their quote included the AQIS fee, DB did not, but are prepared to look at the price again to compete.

I am going from Glasgow - Brisbane.

I cant see me being able to get either of them down to Melanie's quote of £3480 so may just get John Mason out to see what they come in at. I know Daniel (bring me sunshine) got Crown down to around that, so cant see why they are £4100 for me! He lived about 10miles away from me, but was going to Adelaide. Must've been a better haggler.

Guest annemarie and brian

we are using john mason on recomendation and that we managed to get them down to 3500 for 20ft container everyone else was 4000 and above which was

dorree bonner

pss

anglo pacific

we are using john mason on recomendation and that we managed to get them down to 3500 for 20ft container everyone else was 4000 and above which was

dorree bonner

pss

anglo pacific

Hi annemarie and brian -

Did John Mason include the AQIS into your price or will you have to pay this afterwards?

Negotiate hard!

We got John Mason down to £3480 for a sole use 20ft, no limit on cubic usage. Be careful because unless you negotiate the cubic usage they will charge you if they go over when they come to pack it!!!!

Don't know what they are like yet, our container set sail on Tuesday.

Melanie x

We've just had our container delivered - we went with John Mason! Highly recommend them - they were fantastic from start to finish. Wridgways were excellent too!!

I had a quote from Atlantis Overseas Removals International Removals | Shipping to Spain | Australia | New Zealand | Portugal | Overseas Removals and recieved it via email and the price was good but I didn't fancy using them but I used their quote to get John Mason to drop their price.

Maybe worth a try

Found these cheaper for insurance also

Removals Insurance | International Removals Insurance | from Insure Your Move

Howard

Out of interest what has made you not fancy using them?

I've just had them round to quote and haven't even received the quote yet, but had decided within a couple of minutes of him stepping through the door that I didn't want to use them.

(have also since having them round discovered some friends of ours used them and had alot of problems and they needed to make a claim and had problems with them, in fact think its still ongoing nearly 18 months later!)

I'd had PSS round before them and he was really nice and gave me loads of good info so I await his quote with interest.

He est around 670 c ft ish and said price would go down if less than that and would go up if more. He's also going to quote on 20ft reefer (800 c ft) and a 40ft shared.

Got Anglo, Doree and Allied Pickford coming too....

Out of interest what has made you not fancy using them?

I've just had them round to quote and haven't even received the quote yet, but had decided within a couple of minutes of him stepping through the door that I didn't want to use them.

(have also since having them round discovered some friends of ours used them and had alot of problems and they needed to make a claim and had problems with them, in fact think its still ongoing nearly 18 months later!)

I'd had PSS round before them and he was really nice and gave me loads of good info so I await his quote with interest.

He est around 670 c ft ish and said price would go down if less than that and would go up if more. He's also going to quote on 20ft reefer (800 c ft) and a 40ft shared.

Got Anglo, Doree and Allied Pickford coming too....

Hi Charmed,

Which part of Halifax are you from and when are you off to Australia? I am also fom Halifax and we are off to Melbourne on the 4th of October :biggrin:

Hi kp9juice,

I'll post how I get on, got a quote on the way from John Mason so will try haggling after I get that, but I wonder if their costs have gone up, as Crown quoted me £4100 but another person, from Paisley, got them down to around £3600. Quite a difference,and they werent prepared to reduce it.

We got 3 out to survey, and quotes came in at between 800-950 cubic feet needed, therefore priced for sole use of a 20ft container. One would charge extra if we go over the 800 cubic ft even though no-one else is using the container as it incurs additional work and packaging materials, but the other 2 said the price was whether we filled it or not.

Guest Shane&Lynn

Hi Shaz, we are in the process of getting 3 quotes. john mason are the first to come back and they have quoted £3600 for a 20 foot container from Manchester to the Gold coast. still waiting for the others.

Shane

We've just had our container delivered - we went with John Mason! Highly recommend them - they were fantastic from start to finish. Wridgways were excellent too!!

Hi Myrtle -I was wondernig how long did it take for you to get your stuff from the time they cleared your house to delivering it to you at your new place? I was alos wondering how you managed with getting accomodation over there? was it pretty straight forward securing a rental? hope you dontmind the questions feel free to pm me any additional info Iknow it might be going off the subject a little bit on this thread.

Hi Myrtle -I was wondernig how long did it take for you to get your stuff from the time they cleared your house to delivering it to you at your new place? I was alos wondering how you managed with getting accomodation over there? was it pretty straight forward securing a rental? hope you dontmind the questions feel free to pm me any additional info Iknow it might be going off the subject a little bit on this thread.

No prob - will respond here (hope no-one else minds) as it may help others too :wink:. It took 7 weeks and 2 days door to door! Packers were in on 9th and 10th June and the container sailed on the 15th June. The container arrived at the docks on 22nd July and was available for delivery in Brissy from 28th July. we booked it to arrive on 30th July. We found it tricky to book accommodation as we wanted to be near the city but not in an apartment. We had an original budget of $400-$500 a week but found we were way off track for what we wanted. We found most of the properties that interested us on Stayz! Feel free to Pm me if you want any specific info on anything else. :biggrin:

Archived