employers, when to tell?

Guest wild thing

Guest wild thing

We've got our visa, been on our validation trip, renting our house out, and have booked our one way flight tickets, for Oct 30th, one thing, when to tell work?

Both me and OH are self employed, at any time our work can be cut or terminated with little no notice. So likewise we could wait until oct 15 or so, and say O BTW, wont be here from november!

However we will of course need refrences from said emplyers, who wont give us one of those without plenty of warning.

So whereabouts is the compromise, I'd like to tell the world now, and just hope that our work wont be cut, as they'll need us as long as poss, OH thinks late sept at earliest.

This makes life a little awkward as we have freinds who work at the same place, so cant tell them either in case something slips, and our work gets cut.

BTW, work knows this is coming as have had to already ask for refrences etc for the visa

I agree with Shreen give one month's notice at least that way you are not likely to jeopordise your references and if they already did references for you visa then they have an idea it is coming sometime anyway!We are in a similar situation and hape to go to Perth in October - OH has a job and paid kids school to secure places in October but still not sold house hoping to rent it out asap and once rented will hand in my notice - my only problem is I have to give 3 months notice - I am just hoping things happen soon and my employers will look kindly on me as I don't want to risk my reference!Good luck with whatever you decideSue

We've got our visa, been on our validation trip, renting our house out, and have booked our one way flight tickets, for Oct 30th, one thing, when to tell work?

Both me and OH are self employed, at any time our work can be cut or terminated with little no notice. So likewise we could wait until oct 15 or so, and say O BTW, wont be here from november!

However we will of course need refrences from said emplyers, who wont give us one of those without plenty of warning.

So whereabouts is the compromise, I'd like to tell the world now, and just hope that our work wont be cut, as they'll need us as long as poss, OH thinks late sept at earliest.

This makes life a little awkward as we have freinds who work at the same place, so cant tell them either in case something slips, and our work gets cut.

BTW, work knows this is coming as have had to already ask for refrences etc for the visa

Only you know your employer so you'll be in the best position to judge how they might react.

From my own perspective, I was up-front with my employer from the word go. I was glad I had been as when the timetable began to unravel near my departure date, my employer was very sympathetic and willing to accommodate my fluid plans. But another employer might have taken a different approach.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Guest Midlanders

I would give them a months notice.... I think that all employers have to provide a reference on request but the content of them can obviously be really positive or just state your position, salary and lenght of service and cannot say anything negative within such references. ie was unpunctual etc etc.

But like the previous responces have said, give them the common courtesy, but also see what your contract states...... it may say the notice period required.

Best wishes for your move and your new life

Judy & Darren

Archived