The DIAC refund the VAC for invalid applications and ceased applications.

wrussell

Guest Gollywobbler
is it possible for new elected party could change decisions on international relating issues like migration made/implemented by previous govt

Hi Electrical Guy

For most things, yes. A new Government can reverse some of the measures introduced by the outgoing Government if the new Government so wishes. A lot of this is going on in the UK at the moment. The old Government was busily trying to create a massive Nanny State, with their own officials trying to direct every single trivial little aspect of somebody's private life. The new Government is busily undoing some of the absurd legislation that was passed in pursuit of an arguably absurd aim.

I am not sure about S39 of the Migration Act 1958, though. S39 itself speaks of the Minister making a specification about the Caps in a Notice and this Notice seems to be irrevocable according to the words on the face of S39. However I do not know what is meant by the idea of an irrevocable Notice, so I don't know whether the Gillard Government's actions under S39 could be reversed by a future Abbott Government if Abbott's team win the General Election.

Also, even if Abboitt's Lot do win and even if, technically, they would be able to reverse the S39 process, would they want to reverse it, I wonder? I don't know. I think one just has to wait and see who wins the Election and then what happens afterwards.

Cheers

Gill

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in democracy it is well known if ruling party makes big and favorable decisions in their last breath have huge concern only to defeat rivals or a system that could create a mess in future for them.that is why they had wait for long time to play this checkmate.so in case of labor defeat, they have already designed a auto run virus for abbot's future software

Guest Tanner

Be very careful what you wish for. The Opposition has long been drumming up drastic cuts in immigration as one of their key election promises, at one stage they even mentioned something as ridiculous as only 50,000 intake per year (which I strongly doubt if that is ever achievable).

Chris Evans is currently still more generous in comparison.

• 2 weeks later...
Be very careful what you wish for. The Opposition has long been drumming up drastic cuts in immigration as one of their key election promises, at one stage they even mentioned something as ridiculous as only 50,000 intake per year (which I strongly doubt if that is ever achievable).

Chris Evans is currently still more generous in comparison.

but it seems abott is considering cut to more immigrants by boats as main election agenda and in favor of skilled migration that we have shown interested

but it seems abott is considering cut to more immigrants by boats as main election agenda and in favor of skilled migration that we have shown interested

Hi Electrical Guy,

You are spot on with your comment. My relatives are here in the UK on holiday and they have been telling me that Abbot wants to stop the immigration of boat people, not the skilled migration that everyone thinks. Most everyday Australians want to see an end to the boats turning up every week and see skilled people coming to the country where they can help the economy, not burden it.

Cheers,

John

Abbott has said that he wants to cut Net Overseas Migration (NOM) to 170,000. NOM includes students, 457 visa holders, long term tourists, business visa holders as well as all of the usual sponsored and unsponsored skilled migration categories.

Now, when you consider that he has said that he is in favour of students continue to contribute as they have been to Australia's very significant and important education export market; that he is in favour of skilled immigration at current or increased levels; that he believes that family reunion immigration is important and that, while he wants to stop the boat people, he believes that Australia's overall humanitarian immigration should remain unchanged or should even increase, it's incredibly difficult to see where he would make his cuts. I have no idea what he will do with immigration numbers and I doubt if Abbott has either.

As onshore applicant he my concern lies in how the immigration cuts fits in with current backlog of international students from 2008 who are rotting in cat4.

Further more he supported government's clampdown of visa factories as he said so in one of those RSL forums in Queensland. I wholeheartedly agree to getting rid of those colleges, but question is will Abbott be as retrospective as Labor with regards to immigration policies.

but it will be still difficult to predict about the way the implement of refund policy by either party.may be abott have different opinion( may be better) if praised by power

Hey guys ,

I do not understand one thing and that who is holding the office of Immigration Minister right now now.?If I am not wrong Chris Evans is still acting as Immigration Minister. Because Priority Processing and refund letters to the Pre September applicants is still functioning.So it means these policies belong to Minster Evans.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Electrical Guy

I don't know the answer to your question but I had reason to phone David Wilden this morning. He is DIAC'e Regional Director for Europe, based at Oz House in London.

Whilst I had Mr Wilden on the phone, I asked him about the Election and what is likely to happen. What he told me might well be common knowledge in Oz but just in case you have not heard it, Mt Wilden told me as follows:

1. If Julia Gillard forms the next Government, she is likely to reshuffle her cabinet because new PMs almost always do so. She might well move Senator Evans and Mr Wilden reckons that Evans would welcome this. He says that he does not think that Evans is particularly interested in Immigration and that he is sick of being "beaten up" about the irregular maritime arrivals.

Mr Wilden reckoned that Evans would welcome a move if somebody else can be persuaded to take over the Immigration portfolio, though Mr Wilden did not mention any names so I do not know whether Ms Gillard would have anyone in mind. It might be that Mr Wilden simply didn't mention any names because I am unlikely to have heard of the pollie(s) concerned.

He said that in this sort of situation, the only pollie who would probably not be reshuffled is Wayne Swan, the Treasurer.

2. If Abbott forms the next Government instead, the rumour is that he would bring back either Philip Ruddock or Kevin Andrews. Both of them have been the Minister for Immi before. Presumably they are interested in the subject. Ruddock was the Minister for Immi before I started to take an interest in migration to Oz so I don't know anything about him.

Kevin Andrews was the Minister for Immi for 6 or 8 months in 2007. It was not for long and I don't recall Mr Andrews uttering a squeak during that time. His immediate predecessor was Amanda Vanstone, who was a noisy woman, I recall!

Kevin Andrews was the Minister in the months before 1st September 2007 so technically, he was in charge of the new programme of skilled immigration that started on 1st September 2007. I suspect that Mr Andrews was not the architect of the changes. I suspect that DIAC devised them and that he simply rubber-stamped them but I do not know for sure.

I also remember that a front-bench MP called Andrew Robb was also something to do with Immigration. I think he might have been the Deputy Minister for Immi or something similar, either under Amanda Vanstone or under Kevin Andrews. Andrew Robb seems to be around still - I recall his name during the weekend that has just ended.

Then I asked Mr Wilden about Andrew Metcalfe, the current boss of DIAC. To my astonishment Mr Wilden said that Andrew Metcalfe is only 52. I am very surprised by that because I thought he was around 62, from the photos of him and watching him on TV!

According to Mr Wilden, the boss of DIAC usually only gets the job for 5 years and then somebody else takes over. Seemingly Mr Metcalfe got the job in 2005, on a 5 year contract, so he was not moved/changed when Labor won in 2007. However he has now completed his 5 years and David Wilden thinks that DIAC is likely to get a new boss pretty soon. If Evans is being "beaten up" about the boat people, I suspect that Mr Metcalfe has been well & truly thrashed about them, so he might be quite glad to move out of DIAC.

Next I asked Mr Wilden how long it is likely to take before a new Government is formed? He said probably the end of next week or sometime early in September. He said that the postal votes do not have to be counted until 31st August. Oz House in London received over 13,000 postal votes, all voting for different people in diferent constituencies or States. He said that the votes received in London have all been sorted and sent to Australia.

However he mentioned the marginal seats. He said that the results of the votes cast in Oz only amount to a majority of about 200 in some of the marginal seats. With those seats, they will wait for the postal votes to arrive from all over the world and then they will do re-counts in the relevant seats. Where the majority is tiny, adding the postal votes and then recounting might alter the outcome.

He then explained that the Greens now control the Senate. I said I had heard that but what about the house of Reps? That seems to depend on 3 or 4 Independents only? Mr Wilden said that at the moment, the balance of power in the Reps seems to rest with about 5 MPs.

You might already know all of this but I am repeating it just in case you do not know everything that I was told.

Cheers

Gill

hi vb, tell us who poor one get this suicide letter recently

As I had noticed no one has got the letter in few weeks. But today I got a call from some guys that his agent is saying that he should download the form from DIAC website and send it to department for refund. But he is saying that he does not want to do so as he does not receive any refund notification from DIAC.

I think above post by Gilly has some very useful points like Chris Evans is not going to return now. So it means his policies will also be terminated. But the question here is then why are they still continuing with the priority processing. They should stop all the processing. And wait for the new Government to take in.

Guest Mongobear

Good morning to the UK and the rest of the world. Just wanted to confirm what Gill said regarding our beloved Chris. I heard similar rumours from a very reliable source. It's pretty sure Mr. Sinister not going to be the next Immi-minister in case Labor forms the new govt.. Instead he'll be climbing up the ladder to fill another more senior position. Keep your fingers crossed ladies !

Good morning to the UK and the rest of the world. Just wanted to confirm what Gill said regarding our beloved Chris. I heard similar rumours from a very reliable source. It's pretty sure Mr. Sinister not going to be the next Immi-minister in case Labor forms the new govt.. Instead he'll be climbing up the ladder to fill another more senior position. Keep your fingers crossed ladies !

Sinister is the simplest word to describe the b*****d. I have some choice indian swear words I wish to use on him and i do wish to meet him in the side alley of a bar after having a few drinks for breaking his t***h in. :mad:

Sinister is the simplest word to describe the b*****d. I have some choice indian swear words I wish to use on him and i do wish to meet him in the side alley of a bar after having a few drinks for breaking his t***h in. :mad:

hi rahul

god bless u ur wishes soon ....this is what all pre sept capped applicants could pray for:hug:

Abbott has said that he wants to cut Net Overseas Migration (NOM) to 170,000. NOM includes students, 457 visa holders, long term tourists, business visa holders as well as all of the usual sponsored and unsponsored skilled migration categories.

Now, when you consider that he has said that he is in favour of students continue to contribute as they have been to Australia's very significant and important education export market; that he is in favour of skilled immigration at current or increased levels; that he believes that family reunion immigration is important and that, while he wants to stop the boat people, he believes that Australia's overall humanitarian immigration should remain unchanged or should even increase, it's incredibly difficult to see where he would make his cuts. I have no idea what he will do with immigration numbers and I doubt if Abbott has either.

I doubt Abbott needs to make any cuts to bring the Net Overseas Migration level to 170,000. The tightening of the international education sector is already drastically reducing the number of students coming here to study. In fact NOM is predicted to fall to 175,000 in the 2010-2011 period

Less migration will slow growth in population

Guest Gollywobbler
I doubt Abbott needs to make any cuts to bring the Net Overseas Migration level to 170,000. The tightening of the international education sector is already drastically reducing the number of students coming here to study. In fact NOM is predicted to fall to 175,000 in the 2010-2011 period

Less migration will slow growth in population

Hi Skyrocket

I agree with you.

If it were up to me, the NOM figure would not include anybody who does not have a right to remain in Australia indefinitely, either because of Citizenship or a visa permitting PR. I think it is very confusing not to treat all the holders of temporary visas as visitors and therefore irrelevant to the long term population figures.

I also suspect a huge amount of political spin on both sides about this issue. It seems to me that Abbott has promised the voters that he intends to "cut" the NOM - he was never going to 'cut' it. He was really only always going to re-define the term NOM, I suspect.

Evans in the Labor camp seems to think that savaging - and making a complete pig's ear of - both the Skilled and the Family Streams of visas will fool the voters into thinking that he means that he intends to do something about the irregular maritime arrivals - which seems to be the voters' only real concern.

As for International Students, it looks to me like Howard's lot got away with a deliberate con-trick. "Offer them an "education" - albeit a lousy one - but promise them PR in exchange and they will buy our International Education in droves. It is a deliberate, cynical, shabby trick to play on the prospective Students but we'll make a fortune out of it, cobber, so make hay while the sun shines."

I don't think that the idea of a deceptive Government is a new one, unfortunately. If it were new it would be possible to do something about it.

My personal view. though, is that Labor and Evans have lost the plot. My own instinct is to get rid of them and let Abbott lead the show - with the Independents to keep him firmly in line.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Skyrocket

I agree with you.

If it were up to me, the NOM figure would not include anybody who does not have a right to remain in Australia indefinitely, either because of Citizenship or a visa permitting PR. I think it is very confusing not to treat all the holders of temporary visas as visitors and therefore irrelevant to the long term population figures.

I also suspect a huge amount of political spin on both sides about this issue. It seems to me that Abbott has promised the voters that he intends to "cut" the NOM - he was never going to 'cut' it. He was really only always going to re-define the term NOM, I suspect.

Evans in the Labor camp seems to think that savaging - and making a complete pig's ear of - both the Skilled and the Family Streams of visas will fool the voters into thinking that he means that he intends to do something about the irregular maritime arrivals - which seems to be the voters' only real concern.

As for International Students, it looks to me like Howard's lot got away with a deliberate con-trick. "Offer them an "education" - albeit a lousy one - but promise them PR in exchange and they will buy our International Education in droves. It is a deliberate, cynical, shabby trick to play on the prospective Students but we'll make a fortune out of it, cobber, so make hay while the sun shines."

I don't think that the idea of a deceptive Government is a new one, unfortunately. If it were new it would be possible to do something about it.

My personal view. though, is that Labor and Evans have lost the plot. My own instinct is to get rid of them and let Abbott lead the show - with the Independents to keep him firmly in line.

Cheers

Gill

Well,

I do not know whether I would be able to express my feeling into words here or not. But Gilly is surely able to do so. I always like this lady...

Surely, Labor and Evans has misunderstood the total thing. Well, If I could analyze it correctly, not a single immigrant has voted for labor, whose family relative has suffered due to the policies of Evans and party. My brother has opted for Liberals.

I think liberals supported by independents is the perfect Government in place.

Hi Skyrocket

I agree with you.

Cheers

Gill

Yes Gill... just extending on you last point. If a govt is eventually formed after this election result it would be a minority govt. Since neither Labour nor the coalition have the mandatory 76 seats for a majority. Forcing any legislation through parliament will thus get a lot more difficult since either of the parties would need the support of the independents. The next immigration minister would think twice before bringing in any dubious legislation.

Back to student numbers, those from India are already down 40% .. and will continue to fall further IMO

Students shun Australia; visa applications dip 40% this yr - CNBC-TV18 -

Guest JK2510

Have just read an article on sky news about the Ozzie elections/hung parliament and they remarked it could take several weeks before a government is formed,whoever it maybe.

So perhaps several weeks of no SMPS?!

Well,

I do not know whether I would be able to express my feeling into words here or not. But Gilly is surely able to do so. I always like this lady...

Surely, Labor and Evans has misunderstood the total thing. Well, If I could analyze it correctly, not a single immigrant has voted for labor, whose family relative has suffered due to the policies of Evans and party. My brother has opted for Liberals.

Can't wait for 'liberals supported by independents is the perfect Government '..................... My only wish is to see Labor getting flushed down the drain!!

CAT (4), 885 applied 2008 AUG, ICT - Recent graduate NEC, IELTS 8.0, NAATI qualified, Currently employed as a ICT Project Officer

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Electrical Guy

I think that Peter Mares should be the first of call if and when Australia decides which group should govern the country and the governing party has grown used to holding the reins. None of the MPS can say anything about the recent Cap & Cease idea whilst the outcome of the Election remains undecided. At the moment, none of them are interested in anything anyway apart from whether their own Party will form the new Government.

I think that Peter Mares might be disposed to investigate the whole thing once he can get soundbites from DIAC and the new Minister for Immi.

I also think that a duo of Mark Webster and Christopher Levingston should both be interviewed on behalf of those of us on the the opposing side of the debate.

In the short term, though, my own suspicion is that Peter Mares might be investigating whether or not it is constitutionally permissible for 3 men - Messrs Oakeshott, Katter and Windsor - to hold the democratic, parliamentary process to ransom in the way that they seem to be doing.

I suspect that the Queen would allow the Aussies another week or two to sort themselves out but that if the current nonsense still shows no sign of a resolution by about Monday 13th September, the Queen might well advise Quentin Bryce to insist on another General Election and be done with it.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Well,

Hi VB

My own, personal feeling is that Julia Gillard has committed political suicide. It seems to me that she is merely taking an inconveniently long time to die.

I agree with you that anybody whose loved one is seeking either Skilled or Family Stream visas is unlikely to have voted for Labor, but I doubt that that group's disaffection for Labor has involved enough people to cause a hung parliament or - more properly imho - a cliff hanging parliament.

The political knives seem to have been sharpened and to be stabbing Gillard all over the place. Queensland seems to have shown its disgust at her for the way she treated Krudd. Whether or not he deserved a bloodless coup, a completely shambolic Election result was certainly not part of Labor's game plan at the time of the coup.

With hindsight, I suspect Labor would have been wiser to accept an Election defeat under Krudd and then to go into Opposition until they have sorted out their own internal battles - elsewhere, out of the limelight. As it is, Labor seems to be showing me that they are incapable of running a strong, stable, united Government at the present time.

I'm 100% behind Tony Abbott's refusal to get involved with negotiating with the trio of Independents who seem to think that they can seize power for themselves alone. Whatever the Australian people did vote for, they definitely did not vote for that idea, so I reckon that Abbott is right to tell the three of them to go and take a walk round the park.

At the moment, Mr Wilkie is the only Independent who has my own respect - he is being genuinely independent. The other 3 seem to me to be trying to decide whose bed to get into. If I were Julia Gillard, I would not have given into the 3 of them at all, far less do that as quickly as she did.

So I suspect that her judgement is flawed. Abbott seems to me to be much stronger and more sure-footed. (I suspect that he has stronger, cleverer, more experienced and wiser advisors, as well.)

None of them are bothered about immigration, however. Not even slightly. I think they have to do their own house-keeping in Canberra before there will be any chance of them doing anything about the Immigration programme as well.

Cheers

Gill

Archived