$1 Million for anyone who can stop immigration

tcillc

i demand details!

Here you go:

Dick Smith's million dollars for the planet

Reporter: Bryan Seymour

Broadcast Date: August 05, 2010

You may have noticed how quick Julia Gillard was to back-track on Kevin Rudd's 'Big Australia' vision. The Prime Minister now promotes the idea of a 'sustainable Australia'. But what is sustainable?

Businessman Dick Smith has a few ideas but wants more, and is prepared to pay $1 million to anyone who can come up with the answers.

"It's incredible because I've done very well out of Australia but I see terrible problems coming for future generations," Smith said.

"This is the most important thing I've ever done in my life."

"I need a Ghandi, I need a Churchill, someone who's going to be a real leader, not go on like our pathetic politicians at the moment do."

"We double our population every 30 years that means we're going to have over 100 million at the end of the century when our grandchildren will be alive. It's utterly ridiculous."

Mr Smith has made a documentary on population due to air on television next Thursday.

He's also created the Wilberforce award, named after the British politician, William Wilberforce, who campaigned against slavery 200 years ago. So how do those interested make an application for their chance at $1 million?

"How do you apply, well in fact there is no application form. What I am looking for is a young person who has got enough get up and to go out and start communicating around the world the fact that we have to have prosperity without growth. I want young people to go on the internet, Youtube, Myspace, Facebook whatever you call it, twittering, blogs, maybe start a Wilberforce political party or even a new religion," Smith said.

"What we've got to do is bring immigration down from about 280,000 a year to about 70,000. That's still very high per capita by world standards but its the best way to go."

"Even though all of my wealthy mates, people like John Singleton, say 'Oh Dick we can keep growing, we can make more money', when I say to them 'But what happens when we have a billion people in Australia or ten billion', they all admit, 'Oh yes Dick, one day we have to stop growing'," Smith said.

"I suddenly realised, especially having grandchildren, I only hope they are not going to say in 50 or 60 years time look that Dick Smith was supposed to be a person of influence, why didn't he do anything."

Mr Smith's plan is not without it's critics. One of those is advertising legend and long-time friend, John Singleton.

"I just think its a tragedy that someone of Dick Smith's stature should sink to this, unintentionally I believe, but still, sink to this," Singleton said.

"I bet there's that many conditions apply, if I know Dick, no-one's gunna get the million dollars… there'll be so many conditions I wouldn't bother entering."

"I think its just another Dick Smith publicity stunt and unlike most of 'em, which I find funny, I find this really dangerous."

"Dick's a terrific bloke, he's done some wonderful things but he's a shameless self-promoter, normally with something to gain. In this case I think he's suffering from relevance deprivation and he just wants to be popular."

Singleton does agree however, that our cities are bursting at the seems.

"All our major cities are backward, there's no foresight about. There's just poll-driven politics that show it's popular to hate refugees, it's popular to hate immigration, so everyone is in a race to the gutter," Singleton said.

Tony Burke, the federal Minister for Sustainable Population, believes our population growth needs to be slowed.

"We do need to take a breath, we do need to be able to slow down in many parts of Australia and that's why Julia Gillard decided that the proper title of my job ought to be 'sustainable population' because that's what we need to drive for," Burke said.

Mr Smith is not convinced the current government is willing to go far enough.

"I don't think there is any commitment from this government or politicians of this age to do anything, I believe its going to be a new generation of young politicians," Smith said.

The national press club today hosted a debate on population. A year after our first story on the population problem first aired, it seems the entire population is talking about it.

"Seventy to 90 per cent of people watching are against immigration, against population growth, therefore if I was running for office I'd get no votes and Dick would get 90 per cent. But unpopular issues have to be taken on for moral grounds," Singleton said.

"He just wants to be Australian of the year again, at the cost of how many lives and how many opportunities is irrelevant to Dick and I don't think he means that, I just think that's the end result of what he's doing."

'''Dick Smith's Population Puzzle will air on Thursday, August 13.

Source: Dick Smith's million dollars for the planet - Today Tonight

Dick's campaign website:

Dick Smith Population

Guest rachbarlow

All we have to do is create some ridiculous immigration system that will drive people MAD, and end up being so fed up they loose interest and go to NZ instead! Oh sorry that already exists........back to the drawing board! :wacko:

Maybe the former PM was in on this and was up for the challange??!!:daydreaming:

Here you go:

"All our major cities are backward, there's no foresight about. There's just poll-driven politics that show it's popular to hate refugees, it's popular to hate immigration, so everyone is in a race to the gutter," Singleton said.

"Seventy to 90 per cent of people watching are against immigration, against population growth, therefore if I was running for office I'd get no votes and Dick would get 90 per cent. But unpopular issues have to be taken on for moral grounds," Singleton said.

Source: Dick Smith's million dollars for the planet - Today Tonight

Dick's campaign website:

Dick Smith Population

That's because the Australians rely on what the tv tells them to think. Their opinion is tailored and then inserted into their skulls and that's what they would believe. All the media sources, and Singleton only confirms that in his first quote, says that immigration is bad and the word "invasion" is often used. If the tv set or newspaper tells you what the majority thinks (regardless if it is true or not) then you will definitely start thinking likewise. That's what the lack of individual opinion (which is an alien concept in Australia) does.

Another thing that joke of a subject is doing is encouraging people to be racists and it tells them not be ashamed to confess their racist views.

I used to want to be an Australian. Now, it just sickens me the way people in here think. They only reason my hubby and I are staying and waiting for a verdict on our application is because we are still looking for ways to go someone else.

The whole world's population is growing and they are arrogant enough to believe that it does not concern their country. What's that special about them. Besides, the over-exaggerated figures (1 billion) that dick gives are ridiculous.

Guest CrossforGood
Dick Smith (an Australian entrepreneur) offering $1 Million for anyone who can stop immigration to Oz.

Now showing on Channel 7's Today Tonight.

If I had chance , I would ask this DICK: where do u import those products from? Not from different countries? ! Whom do you sell them to for money? Do not tell me all is just about australia. No immigration ?! You will eat dirt rather than splash your money for nothing just to show your ignorance and snobishness.

I am sure you as a dick never tastes what dirt is like. Go to usa to have a look how people treat dick like you.

if most find what you say, no one will step in your dick shop to give u money to splash, as u are less than beggar.

Guest proud2beaussie

Ok guys look I appreciate that this issue has the potential to spark some intense debate and feelings but please lets keep the language clean,I don't want to have to edit posts or close the thread.

Express your views as strongly as you wish but making disparaging remarks about Mr Smths christian name is uncalled for.

Guest guest37336

If Dick Smith wants to bring about change, then do it your bloody self. Offering a million dollars is tantamount to admonishing himself of any responsibility. Get off you own arse Dick and do something. Walk away from all the companies you run and sacrifice YOUR TIME AND RESOURCES to bring about change.

The ONLY reason for being in such a position is that you have made millions from your business, and good luck to you mate, if you graft you deserve whatever comes your way, but don't sit there and pontificate, do it YOURSELF. I think you might find things a little more difficult in such circumstances.

Cheers Tony

Ok guys look I appreciate that this issue has the potential to spark some intense debate and feelings but please lets keep the language clean,I don't want to have to edit posts or close the thread.

Express your views as strongly as you wish but making disparaging remarks about Mr Smths christian name is uncalled for.

I'm sorry to tell you this : You should not be proud to be aussie:sad:

Guest Makvlad

What a silly way to waste money. Wouldn't it be much more economically effective if he spends this money for education and science development in Australia?

This guy seems like a complete ****. All he is doing is giving it the big " I AM "

Imagine flaunting money about like that. He obviously has a few issues with people trying to migrate to better their lives, so the best thing he could do is shut his big mouth and as he can obviously afford it, he can take his $1 million, roll it into a nice long tube, open his mouth while looking at the moon and get someone to shove it right up his Ass.

Well named Dick.

Guest Makvlad

I cannot agree with you. Then we would blame on people of many nationalities - from China to Iraq. Please , stay apart from extrapolation.

Guest proud2beaussie

Why? Just because we have a minister for immigration that makes bad decisions does not mean that every Australian supports his actions and does not mean that we agree with Mr Smith,I'm a very proud Australian citizen and I always will be,I'm not proud of the current immigration minister or of Dick Smith but I am proud of the people who gave their lives to ensure that we live in a society where people are free to express their views,it's called democracy and whether or not I agree with either Senator Evans or Dick Smith or Tony Abbott or anyone else does not mean that I support censoring their right to express their views.

Guest proud2beaussie

Ok guys one last appeal to keep the lid on the language,I have asked politely but it seems that some people didn't read that post.

Let's keep the language clean and decent or the thread gets closed.

Guest guest37336

Best plan of action.

To all those migrants, Pom, Chinese, Yugoslavia, South African, the list is endless who all BOUGHT Mr Smiths goods to go back to one of his stores and demand a refund.

I'm sure if it wasn't for the many hundreds of thousands of migrants that purchased Mr Smiths goods he would not be in the position he is now. His empire was in a small way built upon the backs of many migrants, didn't see him turning away business when a 'migrant' wanted to purchase something from his store.

Engage brain Mr Smith before opening your mouth.

Cheers Tony:wink:

Ok guys one last appeal to keep the lid on the language,I have asked politely but it seems that some people didn't read that post.

Let's keep the language clean and decent or the thread gets closed.

I'm sorry to lose my control .I know we can’t generalize my statement to all Australia but I haven’t heard any good news from over 6 months. Changes follow changes ....and all the changes converge toward: WE DON’T WANT YOU .If they do so why they keep us applying and wasting our money and time and keep us sticked to dreams that would never come true!!!!

Guest proud2beaussie

I think we are in danger of making this thing bigger than it deserves to be,the link was from a story on Today Tonight which strangely seems to be promoting a program which will be broadcast on the ABC next week,Channel 7 normally doesn't promote programs on the ABC so I reckon it's a case of the program needing a bit of publicity because it's been overshadowed by the election campaign so Mr Smith's agent got on the phone to Channel 7 and asked for a bit of a favour.

It'd promoting a tv program,Mr Smith is a consumate promoter and businessman but he's not acknowledged as an expert on population or immigration so I doubt that many people will pay much attention to his rumblings frankly.

Neither should we here on PIO.

Guest proud2beaussie
I'm sorry to lose my control .I know we can’t generalize my statement to all Australia but I haven’t heard any good news from over 6 months. Changes follow changes ....and all the changes converge toward: WE DON’T WANT YOU .If they do so why they keep us applying and wasting our money and time and keep us sticked to dreams that would never come true!!!!

No need to apologise,my comments were not directed at any particular poster.

I think we are in danger of making this thing bigger than it deserves to be,the link was from a story on Today Tonight which strangely seems to be promoting a program which will be broadcast on the ABC next week,Channel 7 normally doesn't promote programs on the ABC so I reckon it's a case of the program needing a bit of publicity because it's been overshadowed by the election campaign so Mr Smith's agent got on the phone to Channel 7 and asked for a bit of a favour.

It'd promoting a tv program,Mr Smith is a consumate promoter and businessman but he's not acknowledged as an expert on population or immigration so I doubt that many people will pay much attention to his rumblings frankly.

Neither should we here on PIO.

As you know I have apologised in a private message to you about my little outburts, but if this guy gets his message across to other Australians and pollutes their minds, then for one I will be making the british media aware of the ramblings from this guy and secondly, if this results in Australians thinking the worse of migrants from around the world , then I suppose looking for another country will be, if not already, be an appealing option. I certainly will not be made out to be the cause of a problem which has been going on for years before I decided to migrate. It's people like this guy who because of their wealth reckon they have the right to bad mouth others.

Regards,

John

Archived