register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Alan Collett

Rising above self interest: Population sustainability and the Ponzi demography

Managing Director, Go Matilda Visas - www.gomatilda.com

Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534; Registered Tax Agent (Australia)

Chartered Accountant (UK, and Australia)

T - 023 81 66 11 55 (UK) or 03 9935 2929 (Australia)

E - alan.collett@gomatilda.com and acollett@bdhtax.com

I have tried to take quite a pragmatic view of this whole process from day one as I felt that it was the only way to keep my sanity. In light of all the changes it has become more important for me to be able to achieve this.

As much as I would personally like to see the "Big Australia" concept as policy as it gives me a much greater chance of having my application approved I must also admit to having concerns on the stress the country would be placed under in the coming decades especially if I, and my family, are living there.

The issue for me seems to be that there are genuine concerns around the levels of sustainable infrastructure for large population growth with a government, both state and federal, who are either unwilling or unable to keep pace in terms of development.

While limited emigration may not be the thing I/we want hear as potential immigrants, as long as they are genuine concerns and not political lobbying for the sake of the upcoming election then I am inclined to say that I would have to support it. I certainly would be inclined to if it was the UK's policy and so can't be a hypocrite by being opposed just because it suits my personal goals.

My beef with the current position is that it has been completely unfair on the people who made applications under the old rules in good faith. They have been given no real transitional arrangements which would allow them to achieve their goals which were applied for in good faith at the time. I have made my points regarding this for accountants in other threads and would like to see a situation where those in the system before the changes are given a chance to see it through albeit with some possible restrictions similar to my previous posts.

For what its worth although I have state sponsorship for WA I am waiting to lodge with DIAC until the WA SMP has been released. If the above was done then it would probably delay my application until they had all been sorted.

Opinions are like ar**eholes, everybody has one and generally full of s**t. Including me.

Absolutely, Si.

Many of the problems are an indictment of Australia's State and Federal Governments, and in particular betray an inability to plan beyond the electoral cycle.

The chickens are now coming home to roost politically ... unfortunately those who applied to migrate in good faith are picking up the consequences.

Best regards.

Managing Director, Go Matilda Visas - www.gomatilda.com

Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534; Registered Tax Agent (Australia)

Chartered Accountant (UK, and Australia)

T - 023 81 66 11 55 (UK) or 03 9935 2929 (Australia)

E - alan.collett@gomatilda.com and acollett@bdhtax.com

Absolutely, Si.

Many of the problems are an indictment of Australia's State and Federal Governments, and in particular betray an inability to plan beyond the electoral cycle.

The chickens are now coming home to roost politically ... unfortunately those who applied to migrate in good faith are picking up the consequences.

Best regards.

The stumbling block is that the politicians will never admit the error (not a trait limited to politicians) but will simply make their next profound u turn a political statement.

One of my strategies as an FC is to ensure that my team know that if they make a mistake they come to me. We rectify it and its not a problem. If the MD has to be the one who points the error out to me then that is when I have an issue with mistakes. Especially if they knew they had made it as it looks as if I am not in control of my team. A bit of a comparison to the Oz government and immigration at the moment really. Mistakes are what develop us into the true professional as we can learn what not to do. It takes courage to admit a mistake. If you are willing to put your hand up when you do make them then you are more likely to be believed when you say its not your fault. A pity politicians aren't of the same opinion.

By the way, keep up the great work. A lot of us on here benefit from your advice even though we may not post much.

Si

Opinions are like ar**eholes, everybody has one and generally full of s**t. Including me.