Joondalup, Any opinions?

Guest Ricardo8

Guest Ricardo8

Hi all, me and my g/f are trying to narrow down suburbs for when we get out to Perth in Oct/Nov. We have been looking at Joondalup. Anybody been there or got any tails to tell. I am 28 my g/f 26. We want to be near places for work and ideally near a nice beach. Would this be the place.

Any thoughts as always much appreciated.:biggrin:

joondalup is proberly 10 /15 min drive from whitfords beach , mullaloo beach , oceanreef or illuka beach and 20/25 mins drive to quinns beach , there is a large shopping centre at whitfords and joondalup.

the train stataion and bus station are in joondalup,there are some nice walks near the lake , also a lot of town houses and appartments that may also suit you , its central you can get on the freeway very easily from there etc , not exactly sure what you want to know

As above. Good connections to the Mitchell Freeway into Perth (a bit slow in the morning but not in an M25 way!) and right beside the bus / train station. Trains are regular and offer a good service but will be busier during peak times (like anywhere).

There is a bus service 460 (? haven't been on it for a while) that runs from Joondalup to Ocean Reef so that would get you to the beach if you don't want to drive.

Not sure if you are "party animals" going on your ages but Joondalup might be a bit on the quiet side for you although it is near the Edith Cowan University so there will be a reasonable amount of student types around you. You may want to consider being closer into the city if nightlife is important but Joondalup has a cinema - most suburbs do.

There's an excellent patisserie that I can highly recommend if that sways it for you!

Guest Ricardo8

Thanks for the input so far guys! We are basically looking for an area central to most things to use as a kind of base. Employment ultimately will decide where we settle permanently but for the first 6 months or so somewhere where we can get about easily and like I say is reasonably central is what we are after. ( The beach is my thing, an added bonus)

Its hard picking from here in the UK but Joondalup does seem like a nice place to start out.

Plus with the excellent patisserie too might just be perfect.( Cheers ABZ123).

As for partying etc not to fussed, prefer just a few decent bars/restaurants etc.

I don't suppose anyone knows of any decent football or should I say soccer teams in this area. Play to a fairly good standard here in UK and would be keen to carry on.

Thanks again!!!:wink:

hi ricardo, we have alos been looking into this place to move to maybe start of next year. and have heard it is nice form someone i know lives in tapping.

as for football i have spoke to a fella who manages a good football side there called joondalup fc. i will try and forward you his contact on here.

cheers

chris

Thanks for the input so far guys! We are basically looking for an area central to most things to use as a kind of base. Employment ultimately will decide where we settle permanently but for the first 6 months or so somewhere where we can get about easily and like I say is reasonably central is what we are after. ( The beach is my thing, an added bonus)

Its hard picking from here in the UK but Joondalup does seem like a nice place to start out.

As for partying etc not to fussed, prefer just a few decent bars/restaurants etc.

I don't suppose anyone knows of any decent football or should I say soccer teams in this area. Play to a fairly good standard here in UK and would be keen to carry on.

that mans name is bilby on here if you want to contact him REF; football.

hello pal , what line of work are you in , this may make a difference if it be nor or sor ...as the main engineering is sor ....with money paying more .....you will get on a good team sor ask Peanut ......if you a good player .......he is the guy to ask about football clubs here .........Joondaloop is just full of poms tho ....so if you want the Aussie life style ...stay away from there , we rented there when we first moved here , but it was like being in the uk , hence why they call it llittle England.......your choice tho pal ...me i wouls rather keep myself to myself surrounded by italians , chinese ,Australians , the odd uk person and anyone else that knows me.......

hello pal , what line of work are you in , this may make a difference if it be nor or sor ...as the main engineering is sor ....with money paying more .....you will get on a good team sor ask Peanut ......if you a good player .......he is the guy to ask about football clubs here .........Joondaloop is just full of poms tho ....so if you want the Aussie life style ...stay away from there , we rented there when we first moved here , but it was like being in the uk , hence why they call it llittle England.......your choice tho pal ...me i wouls rather keep myself to myself surrounded by italians , chinese ,Australians , the odd uk person and anyone else that knows me.......

Joondalup as a suburb isn't that Pommy to be honest. ECU and Tafe are in Joondalup and as a result there is a far bigger ethnic mix these days. Central to everywhere, good transport links and a modern centre. I agree if Engineering is your thing then closer to Henderson & Kwinana will sway it but if the OP is more of a professional type then Joondalup will suit him well as good train links to City.

Also Joondalup Arena close buy with lots of sporting teams. I also believe ECU have a team. Heathridge FC is close too.

Joondalup as a suburb isn't that Pommy to be honest. ECU and Tafe are in Joondalup and as a result there is a far bigger ethnic mix these days. Central to everywhere, good transport links and a modern centre. I agree if Engineering is your thing then closer to Henderson & Kwinana will sway it but if the OP is more of a professional type then Joondalup will suit him well as good train links to City.

Also Joondalup Arena close buy with lots of sporting teams. I also believe ECU have a team. Heathridge FC is close too.

:laugh:........its full of them..........so whats the nationality around lakeside in your eyes ..............:laugh:..........full English and all around them parts .......

my hubby is an engineer hes worked in the city , osbourne park ,hes in belmont now there is also a lot in malaga and some in wangara , but hes never had to work south of the river except for some construction sites hes had to visit , to be honest there are a fair few poms any where on the coast north to south , not as many in the hills etc , there are poms in the northern suburbs there is also a lot of south africans and for every pom i know here i know twenty aussies , my kids are aussie , hubby is aussie and all his family are aussies going back to the 1800s [ about time they had some decent british blood injected into their linage!!!!!

there is a whole mixture here stirling has a lot of macedonians ,the swan has lots of yugoslavs , bellevue and bayswater has lots of poles , vic park has lots of vienamese etc and amongst them all are lots of aussies

:laugh:........its full of them..........so whats the nationality around lakeside in your eyes ..............:laugh:..........full English and all around them parts .......

full of them !!!!your one and so am i lol we are both poms and nick you have got to love poms other wise neither one :wink: of us would be on here would we ?

full of them !!!!your one and so am i lol we are both poms and nick you have got to love poms other wise neither one :wink: of us would be on here would we ?

Morcilin . do love myself and you but i dont wanna be surrounded by them as i may as ive stayed in then uk .....and its the pitts

Guest Ricardo8

Thanks again for all the input everyone. Thanks to for the football connections. Think we are going to head to Joondalup after careful consideration. Even though there may be a fair few poms around we figure it may be easier to make friends and get help and advise whilst we settle. Once settled might have to find another area where there are not so many of us around:wink:

Many thanks again and good luck with all your adventures!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest York91

Joondalup is a good place to start off.

We moved to Currambine originally before we started moving back and forth which is the next suburb along from joondalup.

It's an ideal place to live for transport, as there is a train and bus station. For work it takes about 30 mins to get into the city on the train; the traffic is a nightmare on a morning!!

Nightlife on friday nights is busy, there are 2 night clubs and an English pub (Soverign arms) and a couple of other taverns.

Its good for sports. Theres Joondalup Arena where you can do pretty much any sport and swimming. Jooondalup Lake and Neil Hawkins Park, where you see lots of wildlife (usually Kangaroos).

Its got a really good shopping centre, they extended it in 2008 and has got many shops to look at!

And its really close to beaches: Mullalloo, Hillarys, Ocean Reef, Quinns Rocks...

my hubby is an engineer hes worked in the city , osbourne park ,hes in belmont now there is also a lot in malaga and some in wangara , but hes never had to work south of the river except for some construction sites hes had to visit , to be honest there are a fair few poms any where on the coast north to south , not as many in the hills etc , there are poms in the northern suburbs there is also a lot of south africans and for every pom i know here i know twenty aussies , my kids are aussie , hubby is aussie and all his family are aussies going back to the 1800s [ about time they had some decent british blood injected into their linage!!!!!

there is a whole mixture here stirling has a lot of macedonians ,the swan has lots of yugoslavs , bellevue and bayswater has lots of poles , vic park has lots of vienamese etc and amongst them all are lots of aussies

Hello , my son and family lived in Joondalup for 15 years ... I visited 7 times ... great place to live ... I saw a lot of places in the area when I was there but really liked Joondalup best ... it seemed to have everything you needed ... but with excellent train service ... so clean ... uncrowded and frequent ... large sports arena ... Old Bailey Pub ! ... Neil Hawkins Park a must ... the wild birds feed out of your hands and there is a flotilla of pelicans on Joondalup Lake ... good beaches in easy reach ... highly recommended is Two Rocks Beach ...

Beware - there are no nice pubs, bars or restaurants in Joondalup. There are pubs and restaurants but they are not 'nice'! If you really want that you should look nearer the city - Leederville, Mount Lawley etc.

Archived