All Vehicle - Mechanics Thread

Guest Noodle

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

hi rowneee and LIbbysmummy - i was hoping you could give me some advice... my husband has been offered a job to work for blacks group in chinchilla... we have considered moving to oz since first there in 2007 and then again in 2011.... it seems to be a great opportunity and a reputable company to work for.... could either of you give us some info on the working for blacks and how you found the move? thanks

hi rowneee and LIbbysmummy - i was hoping you could give me some advice... my husband has been offered a job to work for blacks group in chinchilla... we have considered moving to oz since first there in 2007 and then again in 2011.... it seems to be a great opportunity and a reputable company to work for.... could either of you give us some info on the working for blacks and how you found the move?

hi rowneee thanks for your info, how are you finding dealing with blacks regarding visa.... not sure if its just them or an oz thing but doesnt seem to be any urgency on getting people across - my hubby was orginally offered a post back in April, but turned it turn due to location, but then they offered him another position and again it seems to be dragged out. are you excited about the move? where are you moving from in the UK? have you family going with you are is it just you going out? thanks

the actual visa side of it is nothing to do with blacks, it was all sorted my the migration agent they set up and yesterday my visa was granted. its gonna take more time the more people are on the visa, im going on my own so it was relatively quick (around 4 weeks) from when paperwork was complete. as far as being excited goes i dont think id be doing it if i wasnt, im from manchester so the chance to escape the weather is exciting on its own

thats great your visa was granted, im sure you cant wait now to get flights etc sorted and get out to your new life. :) did you get your location confirmed yet? you going to roma? are blacks getting you sorted with place to stay for a bit? when you think you will be making the move, did you need to wait on your visa to be approved before getting date to go? (Sorry for all the questions im just interested as its the same employer you are going out to work for) thanks

thats great your visa was granted, im sure you cant wait now to get flights etc sorted and get out to your new life. :) did you get your location confirmed yet? you going to roma? are blacks getting you sorted with place to stay for a bit? when you think you will be making the move, did you need to wait on your visa to be approved before getting date to go? (Sorry for all the questions im just interested as its the same employer you are going out to work for) thanks

The location it states in my contract is Roma although I think they can be flexible if you want to move due to the fact they have 7 sites but I assume I'll have to wait until I get there to find out. From what it said in the original documents and from what I was told at the interview is that accommodation will be provided for the first month which is more than enough time to find a rental, when I came over in 2010 I stayed in a backpackers for a week and was living in an apartment within a week. I'm looking at booking a flight for around the 17th, there are various airlines that offer discount flights and baggage up to 45kg for people on migrant visas(Quantas and Emirates definitely do) and I'll be getting a call tomorrow to discuss this and will report back with a price once I have one. The sensible thing to do is wait until the visa comes before sorting a date as obviously they won't let you in the country without it. Had an email from the guy from the recruitment company yesterday, last few days of winter...26 degrees, im so so soooo sad to be leaving england

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi megmor

I am not working in the mechanic industry at the moment but thinking about going back into it do you need to have any qualifications recognised to work as a mechanic here ? I have city and guilds level 3 light vehicle, national craft too and help would be great thanks

I am living south of perth and been here 9 months

walk on the beach

Hi my husbAnd is a pro tech for Toyota and an mot tester. He wants to know what it's like working as a mechanic in oz. Working hours, working environment, the venomous wildlife. Generally the differences between being a mechanic in oz compared to uk. I'm trying to convince my husband to make the move. ThAnks in advance ?

Hi my husbAnd is a pro tech for Toyota and an mot tester. He wants to know what it's like working as a mechanic in oz. Working hours, working environment, the venomous wildlife. Generally the differences between being a mechanic in oz compared to uk. I'm trying to convince my husband to make the move. ThAnks in advance 

Hi T22row

I don't know if this will help, as we haven't moved yet, but if your husband is seriously looking to make the move, we have had a fantastic experience with techs on the move. Check them out on their website.

Thanks team ab. We have had a quick look at their site and vacancies. Did you use them? If so what do they do for you do they help you with the process from start to finish ie starting your visa application etc fab news your moving to Melbourne are you going as a mechanic?

Thanks team ab. We have had a quick look at their site and vacancies. Did you use them? If so what do they do for you do they help you with the process from start to finish ie starting your visa application etc fab news your moving to Melbourne are you going as a mechanic?

Hi. Yes, we used them and couldn't speak highly enough of them. They've helped us with EVERYTHING from the silliest questions right through to visa application (they are MARA registered). First step was a chat over Skype about opportunities and the differences between working and living in Australia compared to the UK. This chat is without any pressure whatsoever. How much it will cost you completely depends on what costs the new employer is willing to cover, but my new employer has covered most. I'm going over as a Master Technician in December. Hope this helps. If we can help further, just ask. Wishing you all the best

That's great. After reading processes etc it's left us a little confused. If you get a job offer from an employer do you need to have a vetasses? My husband is on the team 21 with Toyota and is a pro technician and mot tester. Do you need an itels test if your pure British? Sorry these sound like silly questions lol but with someone whose doing it I would be grateful of any info you have

That's great. After reading processes etc it's left us a little confused. If you get a job offer from an employer do you need to have a vetasses? My husband is on the team 21 with Toyota and is a pro technician and mot tester. Do you need an itels test if your pure British? Sorry these sound like silly questions lol but with someone whose doing it I would be grateful of any info you have

Yes, it's all very confusing when you first start out in the journey! I can only go on our own experience, but, for the 457 visa, all I needed was my master technician certificate. Didn't need to do the skills assessment or the language tests. We spent a lot of time reading threads on expat forums, but, in all honesty, everyone finds their own route so it's not a one-size-fits-all. My advice would be to contact techs on the move and just have a chat with them about current opportunities they have. They won't put any pressure on you and are definitely not into the 'hard sell'. I should mention that I'm not affiliated to them in any way, just a very happy 'customer'.

One last silly question my husband has got it into his head issues with the venomous friends. Putting your hand into an engine over here what's the worst that can happen a common house snake a rat? He's panicking about the things that bite and kill after much research I can honestly say I can't find something that says a mechanic has been killed due to this what's your thoughts? Also when you had your chat with techs on the move what did you find the differences were with working in the uk compared to what your going to? Conditions of the garage life etc. Sorry about all the questions just trying to convince my husband that the few little niggles he has there is nothing to worry about. Thanks team ab you're being a great help with all your advice

One last silly question my husband has got it into his head issues with the venomous friends. Putting your hand into an engine over here what's the worst that can happen a common house snake a rat? He's panicking about the things that bite and kill after much research I can honestly say I can't find something that says a mechanic has been killed due to this what's your thoughts? Also when you had your chat with techs on the move what did you find the differences were with working in the uk compared to what your going to? Conditions of the garage life etc. Sorry about all the questions just trying to convince my husband that the few little niggles he has there is nothing to worry about. Thanks team ab you're being a great help with all your advice

Hi T22row

We didn't see the question about beasties coming! :wink: As we've said, we're not actually over there yet, but, from what we've been told, there should be nothing for you to worry about in the cities. As for working differences. Much like the UK, there are state of the art workshops and some that are not so state of the art. The dealership I'm going to has just spent $$$$ completely modernising the workshop there and, from what I've seen, it looks absolutely fantastic. A standard working week is 38 hours a week in the trade out there and, certainly we're I'm going, there is no expectation that overtime will be worked although additional hours are there if I want them. This is different to where I am now in that working overtime is expected. A lot will depend on where your husband finds a job, the size of the dealership etc so I can only tell you what I know of where I'm going to in Melbourne. Other posters on here may say different based on their own experiences. Gavin at techs on the move would be able to give your husband really good overall info and, in our experience, will be happy to speak to you about any queries/concerns you have too. Hope this helps :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

Archived