All Vehicle - Mechanics Thread

Guest Noodle

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tony4052
WA state sponsorship granted today! woot woot!

now for the big one!

That's great news. Hopefully ours will be on it's way soon.

Has anyone else had there's back yet?

Guest Tony4052

Received our WA State Sponsorship back today and its been granted.... yehhhh

Now to get on with the main visa before they change the rules again!!!!

Guest jojaks

Wow , all this time on here and i didnt know this thread existed ,

Hi everyone !!!!!

We have just about got to the end of the road ,

Vetassses done ,

SS for SA sorted

Application gone in

Meds done and finalised

Police checks Done and gone

Form 80s filled out and sent

Now just waiting patiently for the proverbial rubber stamp.

So , if there is anything you need to know i will do my best to help out .

And good luck to you all

Guest Tony4052
Wow , all this time on here and i didnt know this thread existed ,

Hi everyone !!!!!

We have just about got to the end of the road ,

Vetassses done ,

SS for SA sorted

Application gone in

Meds done and finalised

Police checks Done and gone

Form 80s filled out and sent

Now just waiting patiently for the proverbial rubber stamp.

So , if there is anything you need to know i will do my best to help out .

And good luck to you all

jojaks

Thanks for the offer of advice.... just a few questions from me :wink:

On the General Skilled Migration Application did you put your Vetassess Certificate III in Automotive Technology down as an Australian qualification? As this entitles you to an extra 5 points.

Is there anything else I should be getting on with concurrently? I have almost finished the General Skilled Migration Application.

Fingers crossed for everyone else out there waiting for good news...

Hi, has anyone else managed to get sponsorship for temp visa? I've sent a message for techs on the move! Hoping to move to oz asap!

Guest jojaks
jojaks

On the General Skilled Migration Application did you put your Vetassess Certificate III in Automotive Technology down as an Australian qualification? As this entitles you to an extra 5 points.

To be honest mate , we used an agent ........................... i decided it was the best route to take.

As for the Vetasses , well i would think so yeah , The qualification you get if you pass that is an Australian qualification. I replaces the Uk ones you have.( I personaly have City and Guilds levels 1,2 and 3 plus national crafts and it sufficiant to replace them so im told)

So if you have it then put it down. it may be worth asking one the Agent bods on here , Theres a few but the name Alan Collet keeps popping up alot.

Hope that helps (a bit anyhow lol)

Hi, has anyone else managed to get sponsorship for temp visa? I've sent a message for techs on the move! Hoping to move to oz asap!

Hey esme, we contacted ************ (company starred out for threatening the forum

My hubby was Audi but Audi in WA do not sponsor what so ever after being stung quite badly and we have heard that since we arrived from techs already over here.

I think it really depends if the garage have sponsored before and had good or bad experiences by the sounds of it whether they will be prepared to do it.

If they do sponsor then I don't think it matters if you put it in your opening letter, however we didn't initially put it in.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Dawn

Guest jackfrew
Hey esme, we contacted ******* (company starred out for threatening the forum)

My hubby was Audi but Audi in WA do not sponsor what so ever after being stung quite badly and we have heard that since we arrived from techs already over here.

I think it really depends if the garage have sponsored before and had good or bad experiences by the sounds of it whether they will be prepared to do it.

If they do sponsor then I don't think it matters if you put it in your opening letter, however we didn't initially put it in.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

Just a quick thing, think you need to update your location, still Manchester Lol. :wubclub:

Hey Sharon! Haha! I access pio on my phone now until I get my computer sorted out! (on my to do list!) and I've not been on for ages, so I've not seen my status. Will have to log in and update it all! 

How are you and your plans coming along?

I'm absolutely loving it here and I still can't believe how lucky we are to be here and that we actually live here and it's our home! Need to pinch myself! 

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Dawn x

Esme, I forgot to mention that there is no shortage of good mechanic jobs out here. Basically if you can get your permanent visa then you can have your pick of jobs!

We have really fallen on our feet with a great garage and great service manager, but if your not as lucky you could be tied into the garage with no easy way out.

Good luck

Does anybody know if Uk Tv's and Nintendo Wii work in Australia,as we are going to live in Canberra? Do Uk Quad band mobile phones work over in OZ, as we have been told they will,you just need a new sim card? I have heard about Foxtel,how much is that $$$$ per month?

Thanks

Steve,Wendy+Georgia :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Sorry,just realised I have posted this in the wrong section? Doh!! I have reposted this in Househould (I think) Lol

Guest Hassan Benaich

hi there,

can anyone please advice if I can apply for immigration, I'm in automotivefield, Service advisor, it is not on SOL

Guest loujiggy

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help?

My OH has 16 years experience as a motor mechanic but no qualifications...I see that he can get his experience converted to a AQF 3. We live in Wiltshire in the UK has anyone else had experience of using a company to assess experience ? If so what company or college did you use to do the practicle.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Louise:arghh:

Guest perth42

Hi Lou I suggest you spk to an agent asap. You'll need to get statements of service/training together and then if your hubby passes the paper-based evidence he will go forward to the vetassess practical. If your hubby passes this he'll be issued with an aussie qualification level III which you'll need for the application I guess - my hubby did a yts and only had quals for level 1&2...

Good luck.

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help?

My OH has 16 years experience as a motor mechanic but no qualifications...I see that he can get his experience converted to a AQF 3. We live in Wiltshire in the UK has anyone else had experience of using a company to assess experience ? If so what company or college did you use to do the practicle.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Louise:arghh:

Vetassess is the way to go,take a look at the website and you can even give them a call (don't forget the time difference)! They were great with me! I am a Light Vehicle Mechanic,I Have also worked on Trucks for many years in the past. You have to do a Paper Based Assessment 1st and if that's OK, you go on to do a Practical Test.

It is costly at around £1000, as I seem to remember (I passed mine in May 2010) and then we applied for our Visa.

You will need proof of so many years of your work history,etc and other documents!

Can't remember off hand,but I did it all online (except of course the practical test). If you get an Agent that can be quite costly,from what people have told me.

Check my information is correct,as they change the rules,etc quite often?

Hope this helps?

We did almost everything ourselves online and we now have our 176 SS Visa's to live and work in Canberra.

Guest slain

hi all,my 1st post

going to go back to my mechanic roots, something I haven't done full time since 21. I am going to the Gold Coast and the TAFE @ Ashmore this July for a 2 year course.

I have still kept a slight hand in mechanic repairing my own cars so not lost sight alltogether.

It was the only way I could stand a chance to get to Australia and possibley a costly one but needs must and all that.

Just waiting on the final nod for the student visa hopefully within the next few weeks everything is on hold as I want to sell my cars and need to give a months notice at work which is cutting it fine.

Anyone else doing the course that comes on here.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest raynornina

Hi, My partner Kevin has got to take the vetassess for motor mechanic .

could anyone who has done this please give us more information on what they require for the practicle part of the exam. what should he exspect?

many thanks nina

Hi, My partner Kevin has got to take the vetassess for motor mechanic .

could anyone who has done this please give us more information on what they require for the practicle part of the exam. what should he exspect?

many thanks nina

Hi,I did my Vetassess Practical in May 2010 and it wasn't so bad. We now have our 176 SS Visa (Canberra). :biggrin:

It is 1 day in a College Garage/Workshop (I don't know where you are from)? We are from Blackpool. It was myself and 3 other Mechanics (should have been 5 mechanics) but 1 didn't turn up. We just had to do the normal day to day stuff. The cars were quite old ones (Rover 25 , Mondeo, Vectra,etc)

1) Remove+Refit a Cambelt

2) Remove+Refit a Drive Shaft

3) Check Battery Condition,etc

4) Some Electrical/Fault Finding

5) Check/Measure Brake Disc+Pad Wear + Condition

We had a private chat with the examiner (each person had a 1 to 1 with him) just general questions and he wasn't trying to catch you out or anything, just wanted to know if you know what you are talking about.

We had Auto data and a Printer,so you can print off stuff (timing marks and electrical component locations,etc) which is really handy. You also have to wright some stuff down on plain paper (basically explaining what you are doing on each task and what other things/faults you might check for in the particular area). Example When doing the timing belt, you would look at the condition of the water pump, tensioners and pulley.etc (depending on what vehicle it is).

We had a break in the morning, then lunch, then a break in the afternoon. You are not rushed, but you do have to finish all the tasks you have been given!! My tip would be, as in our case, pick a car you are familiar with and if like my day, you stay on the same vehicle all day?

Hope this helps, it might be different if they have changed anything, as like I say it was 12 months since I did it?

Good Luck and if you need anymore info,just ask?

Guest spanners

hey not really sure if peolpe are still replying to this post but, i have not long done vetasses. had to go down to london for it. i walked into the first room where everyone was waiting to get put into their different trades and i have never seen so many worried faces. i was one of them, i had work myself up so much that i really did think i was going to be sick. but once we got started i couldn't believe how simple and straight forward everything was. and in the end i quite enjoyed it. the wait for the results really is the worst bit about it, but the paperwork you get back was more professional than my actual apprenticeship papers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bscott1983

hi everyone...

Ive got my visa and tickets are booked for the 11th july on the New Airbus!!!!!! start new job on the 1st August.

Started process on the 14th January 2011 and visa granted 27th May 2011..... crazy!!!

good luck everyone!!!:biggrin:

Guest Tony4052
hi everyone...

Ive got my visa and tickets are booked for the 11th july on the New Airbus!!!!!! start new job on the 1st August.

Started process on the 14th January 2011 and visa granted 27th May 2011..... crazy!!!

good luck everyone!!!:biggrin:

Question time :wink:

Where are you going?

How did you get the job?

Well done. We have our meds a week Monday and just waiting for our Police checks to come back. :jiggy:

Archived