All Vehicle - Mechanics Thread

Guest Noodle

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tony4052

Anyone else seen this?....There are three options for your skills and knowledge to be assessed now. The two new options are:

Technical interview - This is a detailed face to face interview conducted in your country. It will also involve written responses to questions. If we are not able to collect sufficient evidence during the interview to show you have the required skills and knowledge you may need to attend a practical assessment. Allow approximately half a day.

You may view / book / book & pay with credit card online by clicking upon 'Technical Interview Schedule' button.

Technical interview via web conferencing - This is a technical interview conducted over the web with an Australian assessor. You will need to attend one of our supervised venues. If we are not able to collect sufficient evidence during the interview to show you have the required skills and knowledge you may need to attend a practical assessment. Allow approximately 2 hours.

contact VETASSESS to arrange booking and payment.

I wish I had seen these before I booked the practical assessment and I assume they will be cheaper than the £1k we have all paid...

Anyone else seen this?....There are three options for your skills and knowledge to be assessed now. The two new options are:

Technical interview - This is a detailed face to face interview conducted in your country. It will also involve written responses to questions. If we are not able to collect sufficient evidence during the interview to show you have the required skills and knowledge you may need to attend a practical assessment. Allow approximately half a day.

You may view / book / book & pay with credit card online by clicking upon 'Technical Interview Schedule' button.

Technical interview via web conferencing - This is a technical interview conducted over the web with an Australian assessor. You will need to attend one of our supervised venues. If we are not able to collect sufficient evidence during the interview to show you have the required skills and knowledge you may need to attend a practical assessment. Allow approximately 2 hours.

contact VETASSESS to arrange booking and payment.

I wish I had seen these before I booked the practical assessment and I assume they will be cheaper than the £1k we have all paid...

I thought vetasses had stopped doing the skills test and you had to go through TRA? or maybe i've read it wrong!

Hold on one minute!!

You mean to say that after reading through 23 pages of stuff and getting all worried about tests, interviews and other gubbins, i might not have to take a practical??

Tell me more about this IMI member thingy (i want to go to NSW) and the fact that if i can convince an assessor that i am practically competent in a simple interview, i dont have to do a practical?

Please tell me more!

Guest SteNRach

Sorry,have'nt been online for a few days and think you guys may not get this in time. Hubby travelling down Monday and staying quite close to college. He's taking his own multi meter but no other tools. Will be coming home Tuesday after Assessment and will probably sleep for two days solid as doubt he'll sleep much on Monday night!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

well we did it, we completed our practicals, just got to wait for the results, nice to finally put face's to names.

for anyone out there this is how our day went,

HEAVY MECHANICS practical

arrived at college of north west london (looked like this was the first time vetassess used this venue, so layout was a little hap hazard) around 7.30

8.00 kick off, passport and ID check (take second photo ID with you i'e drivers licence)

around 8 of us on the day.

around an hour or so of health and saftey, booklet to fill in but assessor give you the answers!

morning of carrying out various tests on mock up systems (i.e a rear axle, a air brake system on a large board, some batteries and starters on a bench.

lunch

afternoon of more tests, another booklet to fill out (this time more mechanical minded questions) again assessor will go though answers at the end of the day.

finished around 4.30 (assessor seemed to be in a hurry to finish)

i was very stressed before and during the day to be honest there was no need, all very basic stuff, sometime too basic and you over looked the obvious.

assessor was VERY helpful and all but told you the answers ( the impression i got was all he is looking for is for you to show you are a mechanic and not a fraud)

advice - brush up on stuff you dont do day to day, stuff you did at college and mirometers. learn a little about petrol engines mainly emissons and CATS (we got asked a few questions on that, WHY i dont know.)

im sure the other guys that where there on the day will fill in any gaps i've left.

Hey all, just come across this mechanics thread and wondered if anyone could help some advise on the situation me and my partner are currently in and what to do next.

Basically, we are going to apply for a working holiday visa, looking at going out to auz in february 2012. he has been a mechanic since he was 16 (now 23), he started off working in places like quickfit and man on wheels and is now working at main dealer mazda where he completed an apprentiship with them and has been working with them three years.

after buying flights and applying for a visa what shall we do to look for mechanic jobs for him? we dont really know where we want to live as havent been to auz before but would like to travel around for a bit to see where we would like to settle down. as for me i am graduating university with a double honours degree in criminology and social policy in july and would like to try and get into the police over in auz, but maybe something else will catch my eye while im over there you never know :biggrin:

any advice would be much appreciated

thankyouuuu :cute:

Guest perth42
yes we are, hoping to head to perth, so WA state sponsor.

it sounds like everyone's going for state sponsorship these days!

Lol! It seems if your over 30 you have no choice but ss route. Wa have been quite swift in processing (although never swift enough when your waiting!) the applications - well they do charge $200. Good luck with your application. Have you any idea of where you want to settle?

Hey all, just come across this mechanics thread and wondered if anyone could help some advise on the situation me and my partner are currently in and what to do next.

Basically, we are going to apply for a working holiday visa, looking at going out to auz in february 2012. he has been a mechanic since he was 16 (now 23), he started off working in places like quickfit and man on wheels and is now working at main dealer mazda where he completed an apprentiship with them and has been working with them three years.

after buying flights and applying for a visa what shall we do to look for mechanic jobs for him? we dont really know where we want to live as havent been to auz before but would like to travel around for a bit to see where we would like to settle down. as for me i am graduating university with a double honours degree in criminology and social policy in july and would like to try and get into the police over in auz, but maybe something else will catch my eye while im over there you never know :biggrin:

any advice would be much appreciated

thankyouuuu :cute:

not really too sure how to help you here, your boyfriend has the qualifications and experience needed but not to sure if how empolyable he will be with you only going there for a year. but im sure if he impressess his employer enough there maybe a good chance for future employment and/or sponsorship! there are very desperate for mechanics all over oz, jobs sites like SEEK are very good, wether you will be honest about how long your gonna be in auz is up to you really. A lot of employers use agencies for job adverts so maybe you could start getting is CV out there.

anyhow best of luck.

anywhere you fancy really, i myself are heading to PERTH WA (fingers crossed), syndey sounds expensive, try adelade, melbourne its all up to you, everyone needs a car in oz ! throw a dart at a map of oz and head there ! your young with no strings be adventurous!

Guest SteNRach
practical assessment PASSED woot woot!!!!!

Congrats Ric, Ste also has a PASS WOOOPIDEEE WOOOP!!!! :biggrin:

Congrats Ric, Ste also has a PASS WOOOPIDEEE WOOOP!!!! :biggrin:

Hi Guys, Well done Steve.

Like I said in my text message! Fantastic news!!

Now get moving on that Visa Application, before they change the rules again!!

Bye for now and good luck.

Steve,Wendy+Georgia :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Just thought I would keep all you mechanics out there up dated on how the job is going out in OZ. Hubby has now been working for VW in Wangara Perth for about 4 weeks and he is loving it.

He says that the way of working is so laid back and it's certainly not the high pressure of a main dealer in the UK.

He says that everyone is really friendly and that it's been easy to settle in. The standard of mechanics seems to be low in comparison to the UK but the ozzy techs are willing to learn and certainly don't see any threats from new blood from europe.

The 457 sponsorship which we went with was a hard decision because we were unsure how it would pan out and if we would end up being stuck in a job that he hated and unable to get out of, but so far so good. The service manager who arranged it all has been great in getting Rob settled and making sure that it's going well for everyone.

Not sure if our experiences are the norm, but right from the start we got a good feeling from the service manager and the way he went about sponsoring us, so maybe you have to go with a gut feeling. :yes:

Good luck to everyone and I hope that it works out for everyone keep all your experiences posted.

Dawn x :wubclub:

Archived