All Vehicle - Mechanics Thread

Guest Noodle

Guest Noodle

Dear All, thought I would start this thread for all Vehicle Mechanics out there. Could we all share our experiences and pass on information such as Vetassess theory and practical, wages in different states (and areas within states), if work is available and where, lingo variations whilst at work etc.

I will bombard my OH tonight with questions re. Vetassess and then post, any information will be great for us all I am sure.

Thanks Ley x :chatterbox::yes:

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Noodle

VETASSESS THEORY

 Bought A4 (large) ring-binder, dividers and what seemed like hundreds of clear sleeves!

 Followed on-line instructions to the enth… (PDF Booklet relating to Vetassess Trade Code)

 The on-line instructions were pretty specific but no particular order was given. We argued, and argued and yes, argued about what was best after hours of putting it together.

 From what we can remember (as your file is not returned and it was a while ago)scanned and certified by Magistrates at the local courts –

o SECTION ONE

o Personals, such as requested passport photographs (signed and dated)

o Birth Certificate

o Contracts of Employment

o VOSA MOT card, ATA Card etc (trade cards)

o Wage Slips and P60s

o SECTION TWO (cross referenced)

o Job Cards (customer details completely blanked out)

o Photographs of specific jobs relating to job cards (with him working on job)

o 3 to 4 jobs for each section of ability (show variations of your ability).

o SECTION THREE

o C.V.

o References

o Any supporting documentation relating to you at work (i.e. news letters), photo of you outside your workplace etc.)

o SECTION FOUR

o School names, addresses, dates and qualifications

o Personal references

o Personal Achievements

Basically, OH has said give and show as much info as possible. He is not one to blow his own trumpet and felt it was a little OTT but worth it when he got the go ahead for the theory.

If I have missed anything, please feel free to add/share your experiences. The more the merrier.

Thanks Ley x

Guest ebstar

Hi, it's nice to hear from others looking in the same line of work.

Vetassess paperbased may 09,practical oct 09,457 sponsor feb 10,ielts jun10,175 lodged aug10

Guest Noodle

VETASSESS PRACTICAL

Off he went on a rainy day (Manchester!) with a hot flask off coffee, rather large packed lunch with a couple of chocolate bars for energy, a huge hug and a good luck kiss. Neither of us had slept a wink all night.

The venue was Accrington Trade College in April 2009, a college used by local people for trade courses. He arrived well before 9am and reported to the reception desk where, he was redirected to a room to meet up with the assessors and other candidates. They were all given a talk on health and safety whilst being there and the low down for the day and name tags after showing documentation of proof of identity.

They were then taken into the workshop and told to pick a car (and by all accounts they were seriously old bangers). He was asked to do a specific job on the car and asked question relating to job whilst working on it. For example – whilst doing a break job he was asked break related questions. Once the job was completed he was asked to do another job and so on until lunch.

After lunch, the same as before, asked to do specific jobs and asked questions. He was then asked random questions (electrics etc.). Confession – we had a discussion a few weeks before the practical and decided he would brush up on a few things he knew he did not do day to day and it helped massively. He STRONGLY recommends this as it would be a waste of money to have to re-sit something you know in reality but just do not relate to all the time.

When completed what was required he had a chance to chat with the assessors about anything in a relaxed group atmosphere.

The day ended earlier than expected, it was very relaxed.

Guest Noodle

Thanks Firebladebally (Fire - in future for short), couldn't keep up with the chat room last night, apart from the fishing bit which I know nothing about!!! says it all really... Can't wait for some info whilst your there, wherever there may take you?

We just need some more mechanics to come forward with there experiences at this end and Aus. info. (light vehicle, heavy vehicle, motorbike etc.)

Ley x

Guest Noodle

All mechanics - post your details and were your heading to, you never know someone in Aus. may respond with some info for you.

Hi all, im new to the site and very interested in moving permanently to aus but it seems a difficult and long process,I have loads of questions so if anyone can answer i or 2 would be great i have no idea which is the best option to pay an agency or just apply to the aus gov site myself, i have done the Department of Immigration & Citizenship points and it predicted i would get 125 points with my partner. My history is after school done 10 day apprenticeship at garage 4 years at college 2 years city & guilds mechanics and 2 years auto electrics then worked at 2 other garages then got a job with a big breakdown organisation fixing cars at the roadside as a patrol and have been there over 10 years. i am confused as i have seen on another thread with someone with 10 years in the trade but no apprenticeship this seems to be a big thing to the aus qualification,i have only done 10 days as a kid. Another question should i go 175 or 176 visa and after applying who tells you when to do an tra and police and health check, and has any mechanics succeeded out there? is it a good trade and well paid? as it seems people disappear off this site as soon as they get the visa,which is understandable. very scary as i have never been so this visa application along with travel rent etc could cost me a deposit on a house in the UK,really dont want to come back with tail between my legs,but at the same time really fed up in the UK whether lifestlye work crime cramped cost etc etc you know what im on about thats why were all here lol

appreciate you reading my situation good luck.

Hi Rams, to be honest i have not really looked into a permenant visa, i am going on a working holiday and seeing how things go, try putting MECHANIC QUALIFICATIONS in the search box and see what it brings up, or you could ring a migration specalist and see what they have to say, you should not have to pay anythiny, just tell them you would like to know your option and hopefully they will set you straight. FAiling that start your own thread about it, hope you find the answers you are looking for, good luck !

Guest Sunshinefreedom
Hi all, im new to the site and very interested in moving permanently to aus but it seems a difficult and long process,I have loads of questions so if anyone can answer i or 2 would be great i have no idea which is the best option to pay an agency or just apply to the aus gov site myself, i have done the Department of Immigration & Citizenship points and it predicted i would get 125 points with my partner. My history is after school done 10 day apprenticeship at garage 4 years at college 2 years city & guilds mechanics and 2 years auto electrics then worked at 2 other garages then got a job with a big breakdown organisation fixing cars at the roadside as a patrol and have been there over 10 years. i am confused as i have seen on another thread with someone with 10 years in the trade but no apprenticeship this seems to be a big thing to the aus qualification,i have only done 10 days as a kid. Another question should i go 175 or 176 visa and after applying who tells you when to do an tra and police and health check, and has any mechanics succeeded out there? is it a good trade and well paid? as it seems people disappear off this site as soon as they get the visa,which is understandable. very scary as i have never been so this visa application along with travel rent etc could cost me a deposit on a house in the UK,really dont want to come back with tail between my legs,but at the same time really fed up in the UK whether lifestlye work crime cramped cost etc etc you know what im on about thats why were all here lol

appreciate you reading my situation good luck.

Hi Rams, What qualification level did you get from City and Guilds and what qualification did you get from your four years at college and 2 years auto electrics? A 10 day apprenticeship will not qualify you but if your City and Guilds and College work were related to the field and to a high enough level it is likely that these will be suitable. My OH is a diesel mechanic and used to assess City and Guilds in the UK, so while we are not experts we may be able to help if you can send a couple more details.

Guest lutonmatt

hi all

i am nearly the same as ram

am looking into coming over but with so much stuff to look at on the net just confusses me

i am a single 26 yr old mechanic and mot tester have nvq lv 3 in mechanics did 3 years at college

i have been looking on teh seek.com.au website and seen some good jobs around rockhampton area and some nice places to rent

one thing that i wonder about is teh points now i should get 115or 120 points but want to know if you can add more then one job ie mechanic and diesel mechanic

i have been working at the same place since i left school well while i was still there so have been in teh job for 11 years and can do just about anything

if i can add more then one job then getting 120 points is easy

if i do make my mind up i will be moving for good

another thing for me is time how long it all takes ect

Guest Sunshinefreedom
hi all

i am nearly the same as ram

am looking into coming over but with so much stuff to look at on the net just confusses me

i am a single 26 yr old mechanic and mot tester have nvq lv 3 in mechanics did 3 years at college

i have been looking on teh seek.com.au website and seen some good jobs around rockhampton area and some nice places to rent

one thing that i wonder about is teh points now i should get 115or 120 points but want to know if you can add more then one job ie mechanic and diesel mechanic

i have been working at the same place since i left school well while i was still there so have been in teh job for 11 years and can do just about anything

if i can add more then one job then getting 120 points is easy

if i do make my mind up i will be moving for good

another thing for me is time how long it all takes ect

Hi Lutonmatt,

An NVQ3 is deemed to be an apprenticeship in the UK. The Department of Immigration (see immi.gov.au) state that an apprenticeship is considered to be equivalent to a diploma in Australia. This is particularly relevant if you are looking at getting an RSMS visa (subclass 119 if offshore or 857 onshore) this is a permanent residency visa.

I don't know about other visas but an RSMS requires you to be sponsored by an employer. You say you are 26 and single- have you been over to Aus on a Working Holiday Visa? If not then in your situation I would be heading out on a working holiday visa and putting out some feelers to try and secure sponsorship while you are out here. An 857 visa should be processed in around 5 months from lodgement, but do look at all the requirements as a sponsoring employer needs to have advertised a vacancy prior to recruiting you ie it needs to be a genuine vacancy, you need to be the most suitable applicant and it need to be in a regional area (anywhere except capital cities or the Gold Coast). You can of course apply for sponsorship from the UK but we tried (OH is a diesel mechanic) and found that there were no takers, much easier when you are here.

Hope this helps, just ask if I can help any more :)

Guest lutonmatt

thanks for that

someone else i spoke to yesterday said go out there on a working visa

but i have only the money to do it once

i have never been to oz but all my mates and customers that have done it said i will love it cos its me lol they say i look the part long blonde hair surfer dude looking lol

i have thought about getting a sponser as i know a few people that work in the trade ect

but you say i could not to it on the gold coast is rockhamptom on the gold coast sorry still learning it all

so if i wanted to move to somewere around rockhampton area i would not be able to get sponsered

Guest lutonmatt
Hi Lutonmatt,

An NVQ3 is deemed to be an apprenticeship in the UK. The Department of Immigration (see immi.gov.au) state that an apprenticeship is considered to be equivalent to a diploma in Australia. This is particularly relevant if you are looking at getting an RSMS visa (subclass 119 if offshore or 857 onshore) this is a permanent residency visa.

I don't know about other visas but an RSMS requires you to be sponsored by an employer. You say you are 26 and single- have you been over to Aus on a Working Holiday Visa? If not then in your situation I would be heading out on a working holiday visa and putting out some feelers to try and secure sponsorship while you are out here. An 857 visa should be processed in around 5 months from lodgement, but do look at all the requirements as a sponsoring employer needs to have advertised a vacancy prior to recruiting you ie it needs to be a genuine vacancy, you need to be the most suitable applicant and it need to be in a regional area (anywhere except capital cities or the Gold Coast). You can of course apply for sponsorship from the UK but we tried (OH is a diesel mechanic) and found that there were no takers, much easier when you are here.

Hope this helps, just ask if I can help any more :)

did you go over just on your OH's points or did you have some as well

as i have just been doing a bit more reading

and i can only get 115 points by my self

so would have to find a g/f that would want to do the move before i applyed for my 175 visa

Guest TheHollies

Hi, we are heading over to WA in 7 weeks time, currently sending cv's off to various places hoping to secure work before we arrive, hubby is fully qualified with experience in a dealership and with the AA.

Good luck to every1!! :biggrin:

thanks for that

someone else i spoke to yesterday said go out there on a working visa

but i have only the money to do it once

i have never been to oz but all my mates and customers that have done it said i will love it cos its me lol they say i look the part long blonde hair surfer dude looking lol

i have thought about getting a sponser as i know a few people that work in the trade ect

but you say i could not to it on the gold coast is rockhamptom on the gold coast sorry still learning it all

so if i wanted to move to somewere around rockhampton area i would not be able to get sponsered

Hello all

We are currently on a 457 visa got here 2 weeks ago i start work monday in Rockhampton.

You will find it hard to get sponsorship in the cities and gold coast as i did when applying.

Its becoming hard to get sponsored i we were looking for over a year before i got offered sponsorship we come over here in march and i lined up interviews before we arrived.

I am a main dealer mechanic and was offered alot of jobs but they wouldn't sponsor me untili completed a 3 month trial and having a small family was unable to to do so on a work holiday visa. I'm under 30

I had 1 interview with a dealer in Rockhampton which a travelled for 7 hours by car from brisbane to attend an interview and here we are.

My advice to you lutonmatt is if you have no ties to the UK then come over on a work holiday visa you will find work no problem. Where ever you decide to head to

Any Questions just ask

:biggrin:

Archived