Why not to use a sat nav in Bourke

wakeboard1980

Wait four days for rescue, family told | The Daily Telegraph

You hear stories about semi trailers in England being sent down narrow streets and wiping out cars. Check this story out from the NSW Daily Telegraph about a Brit family following the sat nav in Bourke and getting stuck for 4 days,

They got rescued in the end so you can laugh about it now, but why the hell would you need a sat nav in the middle of Australia? I have done a trip around Aus and many trips from Sydney to north Queensland without the need.

Guest The Pom Queen

I read this, you would think if there were signs up saying the road is closed you would have ahd sense to turn round and go back:rolleyes:

Guest proud2beaussie

I have sympathy for their predicament and I'm glad they are safe and didn't suffer any serious affects but really who in their right minds would relocate from Brisbane to Perth via the outback,in a country they are not familiar with and in the middle of winter?

They would have been better off going the long way via the highway to Sydney,Melbourne and Adelaide,

sure it would have taken longer but they could have planned rest stops and taken it easy,this way they have risked their lives and paid for it by going through what must have been an absolutely harrowing 4 days.

As I said I feel sorry for them but you have to wonder about some people,I've lived in Australia for 45 years and I've driven the Birdsville track and via the Nullabor plain from Sydney to Perth but even I would not have attempted that route at this time of year.

I do hope they don't suffer any long term affects from their experience.

I have a sat nav and have found it invaluable if I have been driving somewhere new on my own. However, I always check a route out first so I have a rough idea of where I am going, and if we are going somewhere as a family, we use a map rather than the sat nav.

I bet that was a bit of an ordeal for the family in question. Can't say I'd fancy four days stuck in the mud, with very little to eat or drink and cold, wet weather!

Archived