Congratulations Andy Peppin.

Guest guest37336

Guest guest37336

Not sure about massive unrest Jim, we are all to weak to complain and march for what we believe in, take forums for instance and people like me who moan about how i want things to be and what everyone else is doing wrong but i never do anything about it because i wouldn't know where to start, politicians will take advantage of that and just do what they please and that is one of the reasons we are in the poo, we as the people who hold the country up and pay for everything are to afraid to stand up and be counted.

I am starting this thread for several reasons, firstly the above sentiment that was posted by Andy on a completely different thread, Andy you have my admiration and I applaud you mate. You were honest, educated and totally unbiased in your opinion mate.:notworthy:

I realise that a lot of us have very, very, busy lives, careers, kids, worrying about money etc, are all integral parts of us as human being beings, especially in these troubled times, but Andy has summed a lot of what is wrong with this country at the moment.

To use the word lazy would be wrong to describe peoples attitude to this country, it is rather a case of apathy, a sense that no matter what is said and done by the vast majority of people in this country then nothing will change.

I can understand this point of view completely, to even think that OUR opinion will be taken notice of is to some degree farcical and beyond our imaginations, but the truth is simply this.

That if enough of us took direct action then things will change. By direct action I am not speaking of breaking the law, more the ability to stand up and be counted and MAKE sure the authorities of this once great country sit up and take notice of the people they are MEANT to serve.\

For far too long the powers that be have ridden rough shod over the populous of this country and the reason is simply this. That when we do not like something there is barely a whimper from certain quarters that in the grand scheme of things just get shoved to the back of what is going on and little notice is taken.

It could be argued that we can all have our say when there is a general election, but in truth only 65% of people even voted in the last election, AND over the past twenty years that figure has not changed to any great degree. That equates to over 18 million people of voting age did not vote for a party that for all intents and purpose was going to tell us what to do for the next five years.

Andy also said that he wouldn't know where to start, and this is a sentiment I couldn't agree with more. My own 'action' has been over the past year to form my own political party in the hope that it will bring about change. It has been a loooonnnnggggg drawn out process. The paperwork needed by the Electoral Commission is immense, rather akin to trying to submit an application to DIAC for emigration.

To ask anyone to form a political party is a step too far, but there are other avenues we can take, letters to MP's, marches, flyers, the list is endless. And yes I realise that to do such things can seem to troublesome to worry about. As I said, we ALL have very busy lives, BUT.

Until we as a people realise that the government, (ANY GOVERNMENT) will choose to ignore us, admonish themselves of ALL responsibility etc, until the people shout and scream from the rooftops then NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING will ever change.

The time has come people to tell those in power that purport to lead us that we will have our point of view heard then we will continue to go round in circles and once we will find ourselves completely devoid of having a say in this countries future.

It is very often the case that some of us only take up arms and complain when it affects us very personal. Instance like your local hospital being closed down, another death by knife crime in our neighborhood. Then you will often find that the locals of the affected community may ask for some sort of action to be taken. But at the end of the day we have to look at these types of things on a NATIONAL scale, just because it isn't happening in your neck of the woods does not mean that it is right.

Local issues are all well and good, but the bigger picture is simply this. Until we as a people look at the real issues on a NATIONAL scale nothing will ever change at all. The country we inhabit is just that, a country. One that we should all have a say in on a very personal level.

Surely there must be enough of us in this country that can make a difference, until this is done nothing, for better or worse nothing is ever going to change.

Cheers Tony:mad::wink:

Not sure about massive unrest Jim, we are all to weak to complain and march for what we believe in, take forums for instance and people like me who moan about how i want things to be and what everyone else is doing wrong but i never do anything about it because i wouldn't know where to start, politicians will take advantage of that and just do what they please and that is one of the reasons we are in the poo, we as the people who hold the country up and pay for everything are to afraid to stand up and be counted.

I am starting this thread for several reasons, firstly the above sentiment that was posted by Andy on a completely different thread, Andy you have my admiration and I applaud you mate. You were honest, educated and totally unbiased in your opinion mate.:notworthy:

I realise that a lot of us have very, very, busy lives, careers, kids, worrying about money etc, are all integral parts of us as human being beings, especially in these troubled times, but Andy has summed a lot of what is wrong with this country at the moment.

To use the word lazy would be wrong to describe peoples attitude to this country, it is rather a case of apathy, a sense that no matter what is said and done by the vast majority of people in this country then nothing will change.

I can understand this point of view completely, to even think that OUR opinion will be taken notice of is to some degree farcical and beyond our imaginations, but the truth is simply this.

That if enough of us took direct action then things will change. By direct action I am not speaking of breaking the law, more the ability to stand up and be counted and MAKE sure the authorities of this once great country sit up and take notice of the people they are MEANT to serve.\

For far too long the powers that be have ridden rough shod over the populous of this country and the reason is simply this. That when we do not like something there is barely a whimper from certain quarters that in the grand scheme of things just get shoved to the back of what is going on and little notice is taken.

It could be argued that we can all have our say when there is a general election, but in truth only 65% of people even voted in the last election, AND over the past twenty years that figure has not changed to any great degree. That equates to over 18 million people of voting age did not vote for a party that for all intents and purpose was going to tell us what to do for the next five years.

Andy also said that he wouldn't know where to start, and this is a sentiment I couldn't agree with more. My own 'action' has been over the past year to form my own political party in the hope that it will bring about change. It has been a loooonnnnggggg drawn out process. The paperwork needed by the Electoral Commission is immense, rather akin to trying to submit an application to DIAC for emigration.

To ask anyone to form a political party is a step too far, but there are other avenues we can take, letters to MP's, marches, flyers, the list is endless. And yes I realise that to do such things can seem to troublesome to worry about. As I said, we ALL have very busy lives, BUT.

Until we as a people realise that the government, (ANY GOVERNMENT) will choose to ignore us, admonish themselves of ALL responsibility etc, until the people shout and scream from the rooftops then NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING will ever change.

The time has come people to tell those in power that purport to lead us that we will have our point of view heard then we will continue to go round in circles and once we will find ourselves completely devoid of having a say in this countries future.

It is very often the case that some of us only take up arms and complain when it affects us very personal. Instance like your local hospital being closed down, another death by knife crime in our neighborhood. Then you will often find that the locals of the affected community may ask for some sort of action to be taken. But at the end of the day we have to look at these types of things on a NATIONAL scale, just because it isn't happening in your neck of the woods does not mean that it is right.

Local issues are all well and good, but the bigger picture is simply this. Until we as a people look at the real issues on a NATIONAL scale nothing will ever change at all. The country we inhabit is just that, a country. One that we should all have a say in on a very personal level.

Surely there must be enough of us in this country that can make a difference, until this is done nothing, for better or worse nothing is ever going to change.

Cheers Tony:mad::wink:

Thanks Tony, thats really kind of you to recognise my post and it really does open up a massive area for discussion. I was thinking while reading your post about a conversation i had with someone regarding a problem in the area i live. A group of gypsies have taken residence in a field in the town down the road from me and where i was bought up, they bought the field off of a guy who sold it to them after his planning was turned down due to planning restrictions due to being in green belt.

They then turned up on a Thursday evening before the bank holiday and spent the next 4 days concreting, fencing and moving in knowing full well the council were on holiday. That was a year ago and nothing has changed as they have " there rights ". What about the rights of the people who live in front of their site whose houses are worth nothing and who have to pick up bags that the Gypsies have dumped in and thrown over the hedge. Their have been countless meetings with residents and councilers who seem to side with the gypsies as they are so afraid of upsetting them. Well what if the 15000 people of the town turn up at the site and kick them off, what are the authorities going to do? They cannot arrest everyone, that would be the answer imo.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi Tony

god you don't half waffle mate, but its always intelligent relevant waffle.

To be honest i think the people in the uk are punch drunk over the recession and the effects it has had on normal life and apathy has taken over. I hear regular now.............don't rock the boat...............keep your head down....................keep a low profile, etc and i think there is little fight in anyone anymore.

No matter how clearly something is wrong, such has 1 million teenagers out of work and our boarders are still open letting in low paid workers, it doesn't appear to have the effect of anyone doing anything about it, its a sad state of affairs and i don't see it changing for a long time.

I also think because Labour messed the economy up so badly coupled with the almost world recession that people know that things need financially changing in the uk and most accept it is going to be a long painful journey for alot of poor people.

A group of gypsies have taken residence in a field in the town down the road from me and where i was bought up, they bought the field off of a guy who sold it to them after his planning was turned down due to planning restrictions due to being in green belt.

Send them up to us in Norfolk, we know how to treat them up here. Its about the only place I know that the thieving stinking pikies are scared to "field grab", the farmers up here are proper boi's, I have heard of stories of whole camps being shut off while the farmers drive into them and open up the muck spreaders, shot guns ready in their tractor cabs. One pikey camp was actually set on fire... yep, we knows how to treat them.

Guest sh7t man no way

you right in what you say tony--i have said this heaps of time on here,we all know what the problems are within our society,but do very little to solve the problems,all we seem to do is bleat on,as though its up to someone,or somthing else to make the world a better place--local issues being solved can lead to national issues been solved,and eventually global issues being solved--as people we do not understand the real power we have if turned into a mass of people,goverments live in fear of this,and do all they can to stop this from happening--the french revolution is a fine example of this--so i agree with your sentement,and would like the whole world to be a better place, even if it means more theads from andy to achieve this:wubclub:just kidding andy

you right in what you say tony--i have said this heaps of time on here,we all know what the problems are within our society,but do very little to solve the problems,all we seem to do is bleat on,as though its up to someone,or somthing else to make the world a better place--local issues being solved can lead to national issues been solved,and eventually global issues being solved--as people we do not understand the real power we have if turned into a mass of people,goverments live in fear of this,and do all they can to stop this from happening--the french revolution is a fine example of this--so i agree with your sentement,and would like the whole world to be a better place, even if it means more theads from andy to achieve this:wubclub:just kidding andy

I agree, you can't change things on a national level without first organizing locally.

The way the media and the blogosphere work now also lends itself to helping small issues to get big time coverage in no time.

Bombard your councillors, attend MPs surgery, write regularly to your local newspapers letter page to gain more coverage and tell people what you are doing. You can get free websites too, which are easy to set up and update.

As for not rocking the boat, there's never a better time!

Look at the lorry strikes in Greece this week- empty supermarkets and no fuel made the government meet up with unions to solve their issues.

Look at BA's figures due to organized union strikes- Willy Walsh will be sacked, or that debacle will be sorted before more damage is done to BA's bottom line and reputation.

Most of the resistance/organization can be done at your computer, just open another window whilst on PIO and start researching.

As Tony says, apathy is the enemy.

As well as the Tories, obviously:wink:

I agree, you can't change things on a national level without first organizing locally.

The way the media and the blogosphere work now also lends itself to helping small issues to get big time coverage in no time.

Bombard your councillors, attend MPs surgery, write regularly to your local newspapers letter page to gain more coverage and tell people what you are doing. You can get free websites too, which are easy to set up and update.

As for not rocking the boat, there's never a better time!

Look at the lorry strikes in Greece this week- empty supermarkets and no fuel made the government meet up with unions to solve their issues.

Look at BA's figures due to organized union strikes- Willy Walsh will be sacked, or that debacle will be sorted before more damage is done to BA's bottom line and reputation.

Most of the resistance/organization can be done at your computer, just open another window whilst on PIO and start researching.

As Tony says, apathy is the enemy.

As well as the Tories, obviously:wink:

Blimey, i agree with one of your posts:shocked::swoon:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Blimey, i agree with one of your posts:shocked::swoon:

I was thinking the same maybe Mrs V has tied paul up and grabbed the computer. lol:laugh:

Hi Tony

I’m sorry as I maybe jumping in at the deep end as all I have read was Andy’s quote and then your response so I’ll say sorry in advance and hope that is enough, also my response is not directed at Andy or personally attacking Andy! You have made a response regarding Andy but I am responding to your points not the person. (Understand?)

But how can you applaud and give your admiration to someone that is too lazy to stand up and be counted for what they believe in? I’m sorry but saying things like “I don’t know where to start” is just another way of saying nope I’m really just too lazy to figure this out, a bit like someone sitting on the dole and saying there’s no work out there for me...... When we all know there is work out there.

Look through history at all of the individual people that have changed/brought in laws through them saying “No I’ve had enough” Look at the latest news, 1 single person started this. (The Sarah Laws) (Something I don’t fully agree with BTW) But it was 1 single person. If you fully believe in a cause you will find a way to make people stand up and listen and make a change for the better.

BTW I would just like to point out that I’m a lazy person, I would love to do a lot more for my community but I’ll do it in a few years, will I? Who knows???? I have joined the board of the local neighbourhood regarding young children; I help out and join in, in father’s days (getting Dad’s and their kids together for a day of activities) like mothers groups but solely for Dad’s. But that has nothing to do with changing the way the country or laws, work.

I think with lots of the laws we do not like, we need to understand why they are in place. What are the consequences if we change the law? Will the vast majority be better off etc, etc, etc. Sometimes we need to give our politicians a little more credit, if life was so easy, why aren’t we all politicians why don’t they just change the law? The reason why is because of the ramifications and shockwave that may follow with the changing of that law.

I understand what you are saying, I guess I'm a little more black and white.

Guest guest37336
Hi Tony

I’m sorry as I maybe jumping in at the deep end as all I have read was Andy’s quote and then your response so I’ll say sorry in advance and hope that is enough, also my response is not directed at Andy or personally attacking Andy! You have made a response regarding Andy but I am responding to your points not the person. (Understand?)

But how can you applaud and give your admiration to someone that is too lazy to stand up and be counted for what they believe in? I’m sorry but saying things like “I don’t know where to start” is just another way of saying nope I’m really just too lazy to figure this out, a bit like someone sitting on the dole and saying there’s no work out there for me...... When we all know there is work out there.

Look through history at all of the individual people that have changed/brought in laws through them saying “No I’ve had enough” Look at the latest news, 1 single person started this. (The Sarah Laws) (Something I don’t fully agree with BTW) But it was 1 single person. If you fully believe in a cause you will find a way to make people stand up and listen and make a change for the better.

BTW I would just like to point out that I’m a lazy person, I would love to do a lot more for my community but I’ll do it in a few years, will I? Who knows???? I have joined the board of the local neighbourhood regarding young children; I help out and join in, in father’s days (getting Dad’s and their kids together for a day of activities) like mothers groups but solely for Dad’s. But that has nothing to do with changing the way the country or laws, work.

I think with lots of the laws we do not like, we need to understand why they are in place. What are the consequences if we change the law? Will the vast majority be better off etc, etc, etc. Sometimes we need to give our politicians a little more credit, if life was so easy, why aren’t we all politicians why don’t they just change the law? The reason why is because of the ramifications and shockwave that may follow with the changing of that law.

I understand what you are saying, I guess I'm a little more black and white.

Hi Geoff.

I can see your point, but what I was trying to say was , (however clumsily) was thanking Andy for being honest, open in respect of his inability to date to do anything with reference to do what he see's as wrong.

You know what they say Geoff, acknowledging the fact that we have shortcomings can often spur us on to do better. Not for one minute do I expect or indeed want to make Andy do something. It was a pure fact that he was big enough and ugly enough to be honest with himself in relation to a specific thread.:wubclub:

Maybe I worded the reply wrong, but I still stand by my intial post and respect Andy for admitting that maybe he has not done all that he can, in reality, who of us can say otherwise, certainly not me.:wink:

Cheers Tony:wubclub:

Hi Geoff.

I can see your point, but what I was trying to say was , (however clumsily) was thanking Andy for being honest, open in respect of his inability to date to do anything with reference to do what he see's as wrong.

You know what they say Geoff, acknowledging the fact that we have shortcomings can often spur us on to do better. Not for one minute do I expect or indeed want to make Andy do something. It was a pure fact that he was big enough and ugly enough to be honest with himself in relation to a specific thread.:wubclub:

Maybe I worded the reply wrong, but I still stand by my intial post and respect Andy for admitting that maybe he has not done all that he can, in reality, who of us can say otherwise, certainly not me.:wink:

Cheers Tony:wubclub:

I can understand what you are saying, and once again I was in no way attacking Andy, or your post, we agree on some threads and disagree with others. It doesn't stop me reading your threads or replying (same in return I hope)

This is one thread (Or part of a thread) that I disagree with you. Yes admitting fault is admirable in anyone, but in that case you'll be writting a new thread daily for people admitting fault. (BTW admitting fault does not wipe you of your sins :wubclub: IMHO)

Only my view but if we whinge about something then do something about it on a personal basis

My neighbours complained to me about the speed on the road next to them they are on a corner, I got stuck into the council, the councillor and the roads corp and the speed limit was dropped.

I wanted a pedestrian crossing so got a petition up and we got the crossing.

I did not like something I read in local rag about rail crossing, a fellow had died near us but was not getting any airplay so got on to the paper, pictures,members of parliament now we are getting boom gates.

I write regularly on things that bother me to people at council in the government, maybe they take notice maybe they dont but if you do not stand up and be counted then forget complaining.

We fought to be able to vote and especially women and we should use our power that way its not just for someone else.

Guest chris955

Without ploughing through every word of the all the posts I'm not entirely sure what is being said ? I don't see that generally speaking anything changes whatever Government or country. I don't for one second think I could change how the Government works, maybe I'm apathetic or just realistic ?

Guest siamsusie

Going completely off topic.... Geoff pleeeeaase change your avatar :biggrin:
There is nothing wrong with British dentistry, behind the gingervitis there is a very nice person Nats:biggrin:

Without ploughing through every word of the all the posts I'm not entirely sure what is being said ? I don't see that generally speaking anything changes whatever Government or country. I don't for one second think I could change how the Government works, maybe I'm apathetic or just realistic ?

Beaten before you begin :laugh:

Going completely off topic.... Geoff pleeeeaase change your avatar :biggrin:

That's what I was thinking Magnetic, he better get them fixed on the NHS before he comes back to Australia, as there isn't free dentistry here yet (although the Labor government are still promising it:SLEEP::SLEEP:) :laugh:

Guest Magnetic6

The rotten dental decay i can just about deal with, it was the eyes that weren't in their sockets that had me putting my hand over the left side of my screen every time i read one of Geoff's posts :swoon: Thanks for changing to something "better" :wink:

Guest sunnyday
The rotten dental decay i can just about deal with, it was the eyes that weren't in their sockets that had me putting my hand over the left side of my screen every time i read one of Geoff's posts :swoon: Thanks for changing to something "better" :wink:

No way Nat, bring back the eyes loads easier to deal with than the mouth :goofy:

Archived