Guest Nim

Anyone experience from Gymea, Miranda,Kirrawee primary state schools?

Guest Nim

Anyone know anything about the schools in this area?

Hi I have hears that there is a good school in Kirrawee and there is another in Miranda. There is also a good high school in Kirrawee, that people cue up to go there. Thare some good school in Caringbah aswell, and theres a good high school in woolooware thats the name of the school. we put our 3 kids there and no one was here to advice us but got told we had picked a very good school. Hope this helps

Anita

Guest Nim

Thank you! The scool in Mirana, do you know if that's Miranda North Public School or Mirana Public Scool? Do you know the full name of the school in Kirrawee?

I don't know specifically about the schools you are asking about, but when we were searching round for a house we spoke to numerous people, and none of those people said to avoid any of the schools. If you have a look on Find a school | ACARA you will get an idea of how the schools compare against other schools. From looking at the website, I think that Miranda North does better than Miranda.

By the way, weather today in Sydney warm and sunny, blue sky and just a few fluffy clouds! Sat outside at playgroup with no coat or jumper:smile:. The sunshine was great, although the wind was a little bit cold. Was only a slight breeze though! Far better than a British winter in my opinion!

Guest Nim

Sounds wonderful LKC - sounds better than British summer ;) Thanks for info on schools. Think you're right, generally, all shcools are ok in this area which is nice. We have 'fallen for' Gymea and neighbouring suburbs to look for a house (not sure why, it just seems to tick all lthe boxes on paper, then we have to see when we get there...!) Seems as if there's also a lot of nurseries in the area. Thanks again, I am sure I'll come back to you with questions if that's ok!

Sounds wonderful LKC - sounds better than British summer ;) Thanks for info on schools. Think you're right, generally, all shcools are ok in this area which is nice. We have 'fallen for' Gymea and neighbouring suburbs to look for a house (not sure why, it just seems to tick all lthe boxes on paper, then we have to see when we get there...!) Seems as if there's also a lot of nurseries in the area. Thanks again, I am sure I'll come back to you with questions if that's ok!

Yes, no problem! Always happy to help if I can!

For nursery info, have a look at shirechildcare.com.au find information on local child care centres - Home Page - The Sutherland Shire Child Care Directory which has info about nursery/pre-school etc.

Guest Nim

Thanks again Lkc, great link! Something completley different, seems really difficult to find rental properties in this area, or are we jus looking in the wrong places? (domain, realestate.com) Looking for 3-4 beroom house, $500-$600/week, not much to choose from on the above websites, is there a rental shortage?

To be honest, you'll probably be looking at a 3 bed for that sort of money. Having a look on Domain there are a handful about, but I think that there is a bit of a shortage. I know that rental properties don't usually hang around for long, and from what some of my friends say, you can be one of twenty or so people if you turn up to the viewings. What are you planning to do when you first get here? Are you going to try and arrange something from the UK or are you going to book a holiday place first?

Guest Nim

3 beroom is fine, I have seen a couple 3 beroom and study in that price range. Will probably be shoddy as ;) Had planned on doing a holiday let/short term let for 2-3 weeks whilst looking for a 6-12 month rental. Seems like the holiday let will be much longer.... i had not anticipated it would take long at all; similar to the UK where there's always properties available. As long as we are looking in the right places. We just have to keep it up and hope for a bit of luck as well maybe!

Guest jojim

hi,not sure if you've got any further with your search but we've just arrived in oz(2 wks ago) and we've decided on gymea bay after much searching. seems really nice area, have got a 3 bed house for $530 a week.looking at the local schools,they seem nice too.letme know if i can be of help although we're just learning everything at mo:confused:!

hi,not sure if you've got any further with your search but we've just arrived in oz(2 wks ago) and we've decided on gymea bay after much searching. seems really nice area, have got a 3 bed house for $530 a week.looking at the local schools,they seem nice too.letme know if i can be of help although we're just learning everything at mo:confused:!

Hi Jojim,

If you need any help at all, let me know. We have been in the Sutherland Shire area for a little over 18 months and know it fairly well now.

Debs (LKC).

Guest jojim

Thanks, i have so many questions i don't think i could fit them all on here!:biggrin: Do you know of any gym's in the area? and also we have a 5 and nearly 7 yr old, do you know of any pools that conduct swimming lessons? any local info would be great! i've read a few posts on this web site that people have found it hard to make friends in the shire, how have you found it??any tips??:cute: Thanks, jo

Thanks, i have so many questions i don't think i could fit them all on here!:biggrin: Do you know of any gym's in the area? and also we have a 5 and nearly 7 yr old, do you know of any pools that conduct swimming lessons? any local info would be great! i've read a few posts on this web site that people have found it hard to make friends in the shire, how have you found it??any tips??:cute: Thanks, jo

For gyms, I'm not really a gym sort of person myself (I have a treadmill etc at home) I know there are a few ladies gyms. There is Fernwood, Curves and Contours. I think there is also Fitness First in various places. If you go into the shopping centre in Miranda, there are often people promoting the gyms stood inside there. For swimming lessons, I have been looking at this one TPSS.Home which wouldn't be too far from you. I am intending to start our eldest (4.5yrs) when she starts at school in January. She is being a bit 'difficult' about learning, she just wants to use her ring etc, and won't entertain the fact that she needs to learn. I am hoping that as she goes to school, she might be a bit more willing!

I have found it hard to make friends here, I am a stay at home mum, so I don't have the workplace to meet people. I am also fairly shy and don't have much confidence, so although I am fine once I know people, taking the initial step is hard for me. I did go to a couple of playgroups where the mums were a little unfriendly, they had their little clique and didn't want anyone else joining in. Now though I have found a great one, and have started to make some good friends. I think that it can be difficult, and I know to start with I felt under a huge amount of pressure to find some friends, people back home kept telling me it would be easy to make friends having the children, but I didn't find that and I felt like a complete failure. Once I took a step back I realised that it took 34 years to have the friends I did in the UK, and that maybe things weren't that bad! And funnily enough, now I have stopped worrying about it, it has happened!

Honestly, if there is any more help I can give/questions you have, let me know. I am happy to help, I remember how daunting the first few weeks and months can be!

Guest jojim

thanks so much for your reply,i'll def check those out . Although my kids are at school age, i too will be at home for now, as its my husband who has the job.So will prob find it hard to meet people as although theres lots of "meet ups" and stuff on this wbsite, I ,like you, am a little shy so the thought of walking in somewhere to meet a big group of people sounds a little scary!!Thanks again

jo

thanks so much for your reply,i'll def check those out . Although my kids are at school age, i too will be at home for now, as its my husband who has the job.So will prob find it hard to meet people as although theres lots of "meet ups" and stuff on this wbsite, I ,like you, am a little shy so the thought of walking in somewhere to meet a big group of people sounds a little scary!!Thanks again

jo

If you fancy meeting up for a coffee at any point, pm me and I'll give you my number.

We are looking at moving to Gymea from the UK. We lived there eleven years ago, as a couple but now we have 2 kids aged 3 and 5. Has anybody got any tips good or bad to help with finding schools and preschools?

.....am starting to get nervous now move is getting closer x