Back home after 1 yr in Aus

Guest mozziebite

Guest mozziebite

Hello all, Back in the UK after a year in Sydney, we are all different and I would still encourage anyone, if they can manage it financially, to give it a go but think very carefully if you have kids of a certain age..mebbes over the age of 10 or so. My kids were well up for it, they are outdoorsy and we all embraced the challenge of our adventure – it was never part of the bigger picture to live in Oz, it sort of happened when hubby got a great job there.

All going well, we all made friends, loved Oz, the first couple of months went great…after 6 months the kids started to make noises that they preferred the UK, missing grandparents, cousins, mates, even their old schools! One of them was really unsettled, not sleeping and seemed to have had a personality transplant from the funny , amusing kid he used to be..

Dilemma – what do you do, do you wait like many say on this forum for it to pass and they will settle in time…I was really homesick but bottled it in front of them – missed my mam, best mate like you wouldn't believe, my old life and the familiarity of it - if the kids were happy I would have been better I think.. Anyway decision taken to come home, helped by the fact hubby got a job opp back here (I now consider myself extremely lucky)and what a bloody big relief it has been for us. I didn’t realise what we had here until I actually came back and saw everything in a new light, which sounds corny but its true. Why hadn’t I noticed before the lovely countryside, the beauty of the lake district, Scotland...the list is endless and I won’t bang on too much – Aus is fantastic in many ways but if you can’t shake the niggle and you feel something is missing, don’t leave it too late believe me, go with your gut – if it isn’t right I reckon you will know sooner rather than later. (I mean I had to watch Antiques Roadshow to get my Brit fix after being there 3 months and thats the gods honest truth!)

My kids are back in their old lives with their old mates and are never in, out all the time and they back to their old selves and much happier, what a relief. We had a fantastic year in Oz, lived life to the limit, no regrets about going and I am really happy for those it works out for but for us personally our little family are happier back here and back home. Good luck everyone, and most of all be happy and don't underestimate the pull of family and friends like we did!

Hello all, Back in the UK after a year in Sydney, we are all different and I would still encourage anyone, if they can manage it financially, to give it a go but think very carefully if you have kids of a certain age..mebbes over the age of 10 or so. My kids were well up for it, they are outdoorsy and we all embraced the challenge of our adventure – it was never part of the bigger picture to live in Oz, it sort of happened when hubby got a great job there.

All going well, we all made friends, loved Oz, the first couple of months went great…after 6 months the kids started to make noises that they preferred the UK, missing grandparents, cousins, mates, even their old schools! One of them was really unsettled, not sleeping and seemed to have had a personality transplant from the funny , amusing kid he used to be..

Dilemma – what do you do, do you wait like many say on this forum for it to pass and they will settle in time…I was really homesick but bottled it in front of them – missed my mam, best mate like you wouldn't believe, my old life and the familiarity of it - if the kids were happy I would have been better I think.. Anyway decision taken to come home, helped by the fact hubby got a job opp back here (I now consider myself extremely lucky)and what a bloody big relief it has been for us. I didn’t realise what we had here until I actually came back and saw everything in a new light, which sounds corny but its true. Why hadn’t I noticed before the lovely countryside, the beauty of the lake district, Scotland...the list is endless and I won’t bang on too much – Aus is fantastic in many ways but if you can’t shake the niggle and you feel something is missing, don’t leave it too late believe me, go with your gut – if it isn’t right I reckon you will know sooner rather than later. (I mean I had to watch Antiques Roadshow to get my Brit fix after being there 3 months and thats the gods honest truth!)

My kids are back in their old lives with their old mates and are never in, out all the time and they back to their old selves and much happier, what a relief. We had a fantastic year in Oz, lived life to the limit, no regrets about going and I am really happy for those it works out for but for us personally our little family are happier back here and back home. Good luck everyone, and most of all be happy and don't underestimate the pull of family and friends like we did!

Say y piece enjoy yourlife in the uk but why did you comeoutr for in the first place i am deducing now ( no offence to op ) ]

Guest chris955

Your story is all too common and my feeling is it will become more common as things such as the financial gap between the 2 countries becomes ever closer.

You gave it a go and the positive to come out of it is that it made you appreciate what you already had.

Good luck with everything.

Guest chloew

. (I mean I had to watch Antiques Roadshow to get my Brit fix after being there 3 months and thats the gods honest truth!)[/size][/font]

I do this too........and any programme about the UK!

Guest mozziebite

Hi Yorkshire pom - suppose we went out in the first place for the same reasons as many others, the thought that we might end up with a 'better' life and I was keen to try it given that we had been 'handed a chance' with husband getting a job out there, and for so many it works out for, that's great for them and I met many english folk that loved it there and became good friends with some of them, but I was wrong in assuming we would settle better than we actually did, our mistake and no-one elses

Good story Mozziebite! You seem to have a very positive attitude to this lark. Is it so wrong to go hunting for a better lifestyle, only to realise what you had isn't really that bad? Good on you all! Your willingness to give it a go...have an adventurous spirit...a bit of a risk taker. No doubt you've all benefitted from the experience.

I find it funny that Antiques Road Show becomes an icon to Expat Poms!! Yes, I too am guilty, but still find it a little naff! :biggrin:

Guest chloew
I'm sure I could't watch them were we not returning...it would tug just too much

Less than 4 weeks....

Luckily we are returning...........not in 4 weeks though.......4 months!

a bit off topic but for those wanting thier fix of amazing British scenery watch Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang, don't know the location but it had me missing the mother country big time.

YouTube - Nanny Mcphee and the Big Bang (Official Trailer) HD 2010 - Nanny Mcphee 2 - Seven Film Network

I want a house like that!!

just found location

Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a bit off topic but for those wanting thier fix of amazing British scenery watch Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang, don't know the location but it had me missing the mother country big time.

YouTube - Nanny Mcphee and the Big Bang (Official Trailer) HD 2010 - Nanny Mcphee 2 - Seven Film Network

I want a house like that!!

just found location

Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Watched it the other week Aldo and loved it x

Less than 4 weeks......

Watched it the other week Aldo and loved it x

Less than 4 weeks......

4 weeks!!:jiggy:

great timing Aug/Sept. I keep having sneaky peak at real estate websites in the UK. Sevenoaks kent, Ainsford kent look nice, maybe Exiter

Guest sh7t man no way

excellant post mozzie bite,you summed it up as it has never been summed up before,my missus felt the same way you did,as for me im just a wanderer,and seem to lay my hat,and call it home,my missus called the UK her comfort zone,and upon reflection i understand what she ment now--she just missed a certain security,and familarity that the home country brings,things that sounded stupid to me were so important to her,it was the seasons/friends that where gained through a lifetime/family,and the knowlage that in less than an hour you could be at there side/the systems in the UK that she understood,and was comfertable with/bust mostly it was the feeling of belonging that upset her the most--we are in a fourtunate position of being able to have 2 lives,one in aus,and one in the UK,and we spent time in both countries.---its not all black,and white when you move to a new life in any country after a time the grey areas will appear,just be prepared them,and how to deal with them:wubclub:

Guest chloew

great timing Aug/Sept. I keep having sneaky peak at real estate websites in the UK. Sevenoaks kent, Ainsford kent look nice, maybe Exiter

I lived in Sevenoaks before moving here, it's a lovely town with good access to London and Kentish villages like Eynsford, Shoreham close by. Hopefully moving back round that way

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Hello all, Back in the UK after a year in Sydney, we are all different and I would still encourage anyone, if they can manage it financially, to give it a go but think very carefully if you have kids of a certain age..mebbes over the age of 10 or so.

Great post, Must have been a fantastic life experience for you all despite your eventual reasons to return.

Goon for you for having a go.

yes the kids all start back at their old school in September...they can't wait. We have even arranged with heads of both schools to set up a school twin learning platform to see how different schooling is and what they can learn from each other.

Guest mozziebite

Thank you everyone for those lovely replies, just booked my panto tickets for Christmas Eve he he (ah I missed it last Christmas after taking the kids every year, couldn't find anything in Oz!)..... You are right people, it was a great life experience, esp for the kids, they had a real mix of nationalities at their schools and they had friends from lots of different countries- Chinese, Korean, Italian, Indian, Vietnam, my eldest lad got invited round to Divali (is that how you spell it) at one of his friends etc, I think for them to learn to mix with other kids from many different countries and cultures has been a great experience for them

Great post! Pleased to hear you're happy with your choice. Where abouts in Sydney were you living? We're in the Inner West, husband is on a 9 month secondment, already done the first 2! There are alot of things we miss about the UK which I won't go on about (already on a previous thread) However we're looking forward to having our own family home when we return instead of a rented apartment (which Is great for now but not long term!)

Guest mozziebite

Hi - we were North of Sydney, in Pymble, lovely place, very high property rental/buying costs - had we stayed we would have had to move further up North past Hornsby - Hornsby Heights/Berowra direction to be in a more 'afffordable' area. Have you got the chance to stay beyond your 9 months with husband's job?

Hmmm not heard of those places, sound very nice though. We don't know what the future holds yet, nothing has been mentioned so we'll just go with the flow for now. We intend on making the most of our stay as I know if/when we return to the Uk we'll be thinking we wished we'd have done more. I must say though one thing I look forward to is going to Tesco/Next/Boots etc and being spoilt for choice!

Did you make any good friends here, ones you miss like your British friends in England? Is there much you miss about Aus and pine for?

Hi all,

I think those who have moved to Sydney (like us), have noticed the difference. We are currently on our first trip back to the UK after 8 months in Oz. Both of us work in Building Surveying and at the moment there is more work in Oz than in the UK. The biggest thing we have noticed between Sydney and the UK in the 8 months we have been away is how much CHEAPER the UK has become. The only thing I can say is more expensive in the UK than Oz is fuel. Sydney is SO expensive - house prices, the cost of eating out etc. The congestion is pretty horrendous to!

We got jobs in Sydney which meant we had to move there from the UK, that was the good news - our aim is to move away from NSW should an opportunity to arise, this way we may just start "living the dream". Otherwise, the UK may start pulling us back - why go somewhere which is just as crowded and more expensive (along with even more red tape!).

Martin and Tracey

I know how you are all feeling.

I just worry that going back, is just that, going back.!! I am in a real dilemma at the mo, the kids want to go back. My hubby and I just not sure...

I crave the familiarity and the friends... but not the weather.

Great post tho.

Elainex

It's such a worry isn't it. If your life is no better here then for us it's a no brainer-regardless of friends in the UK (and of course we miss them) we just miss England and our life there. We believe that all Oz can offer us is an (arguably) better climate.

We believe the choices in education and subsequent jobs will be poorer. This country is too vast and has too little of a population to support the services and infrastructure we are used to living with to make life easier. We will mss the sunshine but nothing else I'm afraid

Guest gail.crease
It's such a worry isn't it. If your life is no better here then for us it's a no brainer-regardless of friends in the UK (and of course we miss them) we just miss England and our life there. We believe that all Oz can offer us is an (arguably) better climate.

We believe the choices in education and subsequent jobs will be poorer. This country is too vast and has too little of a population to support the services and infrastructure we are used to living with to make life easier. We will mss the sunshine but nothing else I'm afraid

You've summed up my feelings exactly. My biggest worry about going back is the social problems. I.e. crime, overcrowding, immigration problems plus the recession is still going strong. I can't see it getting any better with the national debt problem. We're hanging on for citizenship (17 months till we can apply) so the kids and us have a get out ticket if things deteriate in years to come.