$1m budget - best family area (max 1 hr commute)?

Guest notlongnow

Guest notlongnow

I am emigrating to Sydney with my family next year. Still a bit of time to go then but I really want to think about where we are going to look for properties. Realestate.com.au is fine but I need some idea as to which areas are of a high standard and commutable to CBD within an hour, 15 mins drive from the beach, but where a million bucks will get me a big house with 4/5 bedrooms, a pool... am I asking too much?

Thanks in advance!

Mart

We live in an area called Sutherland Shire which is lovely and commutable to the CBD in an hour. It is green and leafy, family friendly etc. You may struggle to get exactly what you want so close to the beach though. For $1mill in suburbs such as Cronulla, Caringbah, Yowie Bay etc (which are around 15 min drive from the beach) you are more likely to get a 3-4 bed cottage. For a 4-5bed house with pool etc, you are probably looking at more like $1-1.5 million. However, if you go a little further inland you will get far more for your money. We live in a suburb called Woronora Heights and got our house for a bit over $800k, but have a lovely big 5 bed home on a reasonably sized block with a pool and backing on to bush. We are about 30 mins drive from the beaches in the Royal National Park which are beautiful and far quieter than the beaches at Cronulla. Some of the other suburbs (such as Gymea Bay, Oyster Bay, Bonnet Bay) are also lovely, you will get a bit less for your money, but they are a little closer to the beach at Cronulla.

Good luck with your search, and I hope this has been of some use.

Guest aggieboy

Depends what you're looking for.

In the more urban suburbs, $1m for a 4/5br house w/ pool < 15 mins from the beach is possible - just.

Try French's Forest, Mona Vale, Collaroy Plateau.

We live in Bundeena, which is a bit more rural. The commute takes me 75 mins but is pleasant. We live $200m from the beach and $1m will absolutely get you 4/5 bedrooms (forget the pool - you're 200m from the beach!).

Archived