Maximising Hand Luggage

chalkyhill

It is pot luck how flexible they are about hand luggage - a lot I think depends on which airport you are in. I used a small backpack but also since you are allowed a coat, I wore one with really big pockets! Nobody questioned that at all. Just make sure you take it off for the metal detectors!

Guest guest33730
We are looking to maximise our hand luggage whilst flying with emirates - what hand luggages bags did everyone use.

Whitelaw,

Glasgow airport is pretty good for emirates - they are pretty tolerant there. You can get away with a small suitcase but it's the weight they are more concerned about. They were flexible with us by around 3 kilo's but they can be tough if you really take the micky with them (as I have seen people do)

As you live right by the airport it can be worth popping down and having a chat with the staff a day or too before you fly and explaining you are emigrating (just don't do it when they are checking that days flight in) - I got a few favours that way especially re seating arrangements (emergency exit etc)

Daniel

Whitelaw,

Glasgow airport is pretty good for emirates - they are pretty tolerant there. You can get away with a small suitcase but it's the weight they are more concerned about. They were flexible with us by around 3 kilo's but they can be tough if you really take the micky with them (as I have seen people do)

As you live right by the airport it can be worth popping down and having a chat with the staff a day or too before you fly and explaining you are emigrating (just don't do it when they are checking that days flight in) - I got a few favours that way especially re seating arrangements (emergency exit etc)

Daniel

We were thinking of buying 2 of these Messenger Bag as it seems to be a pretty good size and should hopefully carry our electronics safely.

We are using 2 of these for our hold luggage Duffell bag but this is going to just be for clothing.

Guest guest33730
We were thinking of buying 2 of these Messenger Bag as it seems to be a pretty good size and should hopefully carry our electronics safely.

We are using 2 of these for our hold luggage Duffell bag but this is going to just be for clothing.

You should have no problem at all with them - remember on Emirates you are allowed 30k in the hold and by the looks of it you will struggle to get that much in the bag - They are also flexible with the laptop - they allowed the weight of our laptops on top of the handbaggage allowance for us.

Depending on where you are flying into from Dubai there is sometimes a bit of a wait for the connection from Glasgow - think about paying the relatively small sum to use the lounge in Dubai or use the airport international hotel for a few hours to sleep/refresh/shower etc. In the big scheme of things it's not too expensive and can make a real difference when the journey is over 24hrs!!

Daniel

You should have no problem at all with them - remember on Emirates you are allowed 30k in the hold and by the looks of it you will struggle to get that much in the bag - They are also flexible with the laptop - they allowed the weight of our laptops on top of the handbaggage allowance for us.

Depending on where you are flying into from Dubai there is sometimes a bit of a wait for the connection from Glasgow - think about paying the relatively small sum to use the lounge in Dubai or use the airport international hotel for a few hours to sleep/refresh/shower etc. In the big scheme of things it's not too expensive and can make a real difference when the journey is over 24hrs!!

Daniel

I have travelled with the duffel bags before and fully laden they are 24kgs so might need to take another bag to make up the 12kgs.

We have booked into the airport hotel as we are going to be in dubai for 8 hours.

PS we use those bags because they are ultra strong and weigh nothing.

Guest guest33730
I have travelled with the duffel bags before and fully laden they are 24kgs so might need to take another bag to make up the 12kgs.

We have booked into the airport hotel as we are going to be in dubai for 8 hours.

PS we use those bags because they are ultra strong and weigh nothing.

Och aye! Great Buddies think alike!!

Guest proud2beaussie

Remember that all hand luggage must fit within certain dimensions and weigh no more than 7kg's

They are quite flexible though but I would advise that you try and keep it to a reasonable amount,some airlines are now weighing hand luggage as well so it's best not to push the boundary too far if you know what I mean.

Good Luck,Emirates are a great airline.

Cheers

Nigel

Hi,

We flew with emirates last year and they were brill. All of the suitcases and hand luggage was a bit over, but she just stuck 'heavy' stickers on them. They weren't much over though, so I think she must have taken pity on us!!!

I think the bags you are using will be fine, we packed everything into 3 flight suitcases, but they alone were over 2KG, so I sent hubbie out and he came back with 3 backpacks, they were really light and we have used them loads since we have been here for trips out, so it wasn't money wasted.

Emirates also allowed my handbag (very big) and the laptop as well, although they didn't weigh these.

Have a safe journey (can recommend the bar in Dubai airport, we only had a couple of hours stop, but the alcohol helped the leg to Singapore)

Steph

xxxx

Check out www.onebag.com for some good tips.

I have bought the recommended MEI Voyageur bag which is shown on the site.

It is an expensive bag but hopefully will last forever.

There are really 3 keys to consider.

1. The right bag (rectangular to the max carry on dimensions is best)

2. What you pack (light weight materials)

3. How you pack it. (bundle wrapping technique)

Refer the website for some more info.

Must depend on the check-in crew.

Flew Emirates from Glasgow in March and ALL hand baggage was weighed and they took real exception to our 15kg small Samsonite trolley case that had two lap tops, personal papers etc and we ended up having to shift stuff into our suitcases

Absolutely no leniency that day despite them admitting the flight was relatively quiet and we weren't trying to get funny with them.

Would still highly recommend them as an airline though. Space in economy is good.

Was fortunate enough to travel business class with them recently (work was paying) and the seats don't go flat in business which was a pain (compared to Qantas) but I think they are away to start using the A380 into Manchester later this year.

Guest proud2beaussie
Must depend on the check-in crew.

Flew Emirates from Glasgow in March and ALL hand baggage was weighed and they took real exception to our 15kg small Samsonite trolley case that had two lap tops, personal papers etc and we ended up having to shift stuff into our suitcases

Absolutely no leniency that day despite them admitting the flight was relatively quiet and we weren't trying to get funny with them.

Yep 100% correct,I have flown Emirates carrying a suitcase weighing 31 kg's plus two boxes of brochures each weighing 5 kg's and had no problem whilst on another occassion my single suitcase weighing 30.6 kg's was rejected and I was charged for the extra 600 grams-it really does depend on the mood of the check in agent on the day.

Some days they will turn a blind eye to almost anything,other days they will stick ridigdly to the limits.

Guest leon17

i remember a few years ago i went to Barcelona for a holiday with some of my friends and we just got to the Check-in abd then my friends weighed there bags and they were quite over the limit so they had to flig clothes out of their bags and shared the load the the rest of us in hand luggage.

i dont mind the weight options as i have learn to travel light as much as possible, make you think what you 'need'

I was reading on moneysavingexpert.com that 'hunter' jackets or waistcoats or a great way to get kilos of extra gear on a plane.

The type of jacket with half a dozen pockets and pouches all over it, just slip it on before going through check-in and put in overhead locker when on board plane.

'The jacket' to beat budget airline fees - MoneySavingExpert News

:biggrin:

Archived