aghhhhhhhh, import licences for motorbike

z&p

Hi

has anybody applied for an import licence for a motorbike, ans if so how long did it take to come?

When I ring Oz up its like talking to a robot that repeats the same answer but time is of the essence at the moment............:arghh:

Guest chris955

Yes I have done it several times over the years but the last time was 10 years ago to be fair. Have you downloaded the forms and filled them in, it used to take a few weeks from memory.

I have just done it and took about a month, they are frustrating to contact then all of a sudden you get the permit!

Fax seems to be the best way to contact them. They ignored 2 emails I sent, then replied after I had received both my hubbys bike permit and my car permit!

All the paperwork went off and they say they sent aan email which we didn't get, we needed 5 more points so sent of letters from my husbands work and his p45 confirming he left.

They also ahdn't been able to take the fee, so I sent bank card details for a different account as we sometime have bother with our joint account for overseas payments.

When we ring they only say its on the assessor desk, unfortunately, the container is being packed tomorrow:arghh:

So my dilemna is shall we have it loaded on and take a chance or try and sell it here...............:eek:

We didn't get email either!I would try a fax and say its urgent, that seemed to get a quicker response for us. When did you send it? They say you need to allow 2 months although website says 28 days.

Check with your shippers but think risky sending without permit ( i think copy has to go with car).

One other suggestion is keep the car out the container this will reduce the cost and then send it using a company called cargo online. I haven't used them yet but they seem to be cheaper than sending the car with house stuff, they were very helpful. Theres also a company called autoshippers. They both have told me will take 40 days to ship so quicker than household goods and will give you time to sort out permit. When do you leave for OZ?

Its a right pain in the neck to take car but for us its worth it!

Hi

I spoke to someone in oz this morning who says to ring again tomorrow , but also that he thinks a decision is likely to be made by friday.

We actually leave for oz on the 26/8/10 .

the shippers have said if we give a letter saying its sent at our own risk theywill take it but like you say it is a risk.

Its the thought of having to pay out so much more again! Hve u any ideas how much the firms charge?

All the paperwork went off and they say they sent aan email which we didn't get, we needed 5 more points so sent of letters from my husbands work and his p45 confirming he left.

They also ahdn't been able to take the fee, so I sent bank card details for a different account as we sometime have bother with our joint account for overseas payments.

When we ring they only say its on the assessor desk, unfortunately, the container is being packed tomorrow:arghh:

So my dilemna is shall we have it loaded on and take a chance or try and sell it here...............:eek:

Our neighbours brought over a motorbike from the UK in their container and didn't realise they needed an import permit, so hadn't even applied for one. When it got here, they let them apply from here, I think they ended up paying for storage while it was sorted out, which didn't cost them much. However, this was four years ago...

Good luck whatever you decide. :smile:

We got quotes from 2 shippers and one said £1660 for cost of car on own and other said £1330 (but they weren't picking up), they gave us cost of shipping household goods with car and without. The different between the 2 was the same so didn't save anything by sending car with household goods.

The quote I got from cargo online and autoshippers was about £1000 without picking up car and £384 to pick car from near near liverpool to take it to southhampton. This could be cheaper depending on where you live. We're looking into me driving down and geting train back. Then you would have to pay for customs clearance which cargo online deal with this is only a couple of hundred dollars. So shouldn't be any dearer than sending with your household goods.

I'd ask your shippers how much less your bill will be if you don't put car in. That'll give you an idea of costs. I got an online quote really quickly from both cars. Bear in mind with cost I've given you my cars a 2 seater so might be cheaper. You shouldn't have to pay again, they should reduce your bill!

The other bonus to using cargo online is that you will get the car quicker so might be worth it for that!

Guest chris955

They warn you that if a vehicle arrives without the import approval it will be returned to the UK at the owners expense. Knowing Customs they would do it without hesitation. Your neighbour was very lucky.

Our neighbours brought over a motorbike from the UK in their container and didn't realise they needed an import permit, so hadn't even applied for one. When it got here, they let them apply from here, I think they ended up paying for storage while it was sorted out, which didn't cost them much. However, this was four years ago...

I've been told that are much stricter now so wouldn't like to chance that now!

They warn you that if a vehicle arrives without the import approval it will be returned to the UK at the owners expense. Knowing Customs they would do it without hesitation. Your neighbour was very lucky.

Yeah I agree, that is what I expected to happen as we had brought a car with us so I knew that.

I thnk if we don't get an answer either by email or when i ring them by tomorrow thwn we will have to try and sell his bike ( and he will be hell to live with !)

Anybody want to buy a honda cbr600 rr 2005 immaculate condition (it only gets ridden when the sun shines)!

I thnk if we don't get an answer either by email or when i ring them by tomorrow thwn we will have to try and sell his bike ( and he will be hell to live with !)

Anybody want to buy a honda cbr600 rr 2005 immaculate condition (it only gets ridden when the sun shines)!

You got time to sort even if you don't receive before tomorrow.

I'm sorry i forgot when you asked about costs that it was a bike you were sending and I answered for my car. The cost of taking the bike on its own was about £1000 per the shippers (john masons and pss) but pss include house pick up in that, we have had a separate quote from Autoshippers that said £984 without pickup.

You can send the bike in another week or so and it will cost you no more, just a little effort. Better than a sulky hubby!

Archived