You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

christopher

Australian Drivers License to UK driving license

Quick question. If you hold a P1 Australian Drivers license and then move back to the UK can you swap that for a full UK driving license?

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi christopher,

Hard to say really,the DVLA says you can drive for up to 12 months in the UK on a full overseas licence.

Exchanging your foreign driving licence : Directgov - Motoring

GB has reciprocal exchange agreements with Gibraltar and 15 designated countries.

The designated countries are:

Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands*, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea*, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe.

If you are a visitor in GB, and hold full ordinary entitlement, you can drive any category of vehicle, up to 3.5 tonnes and with up to eight passenger seats, shown on your licence for up to 12 months from the date you last entered GB, whether or not you brought the vehicle into GB. If you also hold full entitlement to drive large lorries or buses you are only allowed to drive large vehicles registered outside the GB that you have driven into the country.

If you are a resident in GB and provided your full licence remains valid, you can drive small vehicles for 12 months from the time you became resident. To ensure continuous driving entitlement, you must exchange your licence for a GB one before the 12 months end.

If you do not do this you must stop driving although you may apply to exchange your licence at any time within five years of becoming resident.

So I assume you could swap a P1 licence for the equivalent in the UK,maybe send the DVLA an email to clarify the rule because it isn't very clear is it?.

Cheers

Nigel

No I can't seem to find an answer, I know that if you're exchanging your UK License to Australian but you've held it for less than a year you get a P1 License but not ure on the other way round!

Guest proud2beaussie

I reckon an email to DVLA is probably the only way to get a definete answer,then you could post it here so we all know the score.

Cheers

Would hope you can't swap. Aussies can't drive worth a sh7t here in Perth.

Or maybe it's the Poms who have come over!

(To present a balanced argument)

PIO members are like triangles. Most of us are (a)cute but there are also those who are down right obtuse. Treat us all as equilaterals and we won't fall out. :biggrin:

Guest proud2beaussie

Actually I think I may have found the answer.

The Direct website says

GB has reciprocal exchange agreements with Gibraltar and 15 designated countries.
the operative word there being reciprocal meaning in my view,like for like,so if you exchange a UK licence held for less than a year for a P1 licence here then the same should

apply in the reverse-whatever the equivalent of a P1 licence is in the UK.

But I still reckon an email to DVLA would be best.

BTW abz123 I reckon aussie drivers are better than their UK counterparts,at least that's the impression I get when driing in Biggin Hill,the last time I was there I saw a guy in a transit van take a short cut-or try to-across a roundabout,he got stuck on the raised garden bed in the middle!

No P1 in the UK if I'm understanding the terminology.

You learn on a provisional licence then go full as soon as you pass the test. Some drivers choose to display a P plate but it's not mandatory (or cool!)

Only thing may be that if you rack up the equivalent of 6 demerit points within 12 (I think) months of pasing your UK test then you face a ban. After that it's 12 points for everyone.

Might be worth delaying the change over until you've had your licence 12 months as there are way too many speed cameras in the UK and you'll get 3 points for every one (assuming they have film in them)

PIO members are like triangles. Most of us are (a)cute but there are also those who are down right obtuse. Treat us all as equilaterals and we won't fall out. :biggrin:

Just to update people on this issue, I have swapped my P1 NSW license for a full UK driving license with no problems, it took about a week.

Just to update people on this issue, I have swapped my P1 NSW license for a full UK driving license with no problems, it took about a week.

Thanks was wondering the same thing.Did they take your Australian P1 licence off you and keep it ,or do you still have both? My son was hoping to swap his P1 for a UK full licence when he goes home for a Holiday so that he has both?

RSMS 857 lodged 05/11/2010

Granted 01/04/11:laugh:

They don't physically take it off you, but since you're required to keep a current address on your license, and are only entitled to a license if you're resident in that country, technically there's only one license that you can drive on at a time.

The UK license has to be posted to a current UK residential address. Technically your son could fill out and send off the forms from australia, but the license has to be sent within the UK.

They don't physically take it off you, but since you're required to keep a current address on your license, and are only entitled to a license if you're resident in that country, technically there's only one license that you can drive on at a time.

The UK license has to be posted to a current UK residential address. Technically your son could fill out and send off the forms from australia, but the license has to be sent within the UK.

He was going to apply whilst he was in Australia and use his grandparents address,then his Grandad could post it over here and then he will always have both? I still have a valid UK licence and an Australian one.

RSMS 857 lodged 05/11/2010

Granted 01/04/11:laugh:

I'm afraid they do physically take your Australian license off you. I think they send it back to the RTA

He was going to apply whilst he was in Australia and use his grandparents address,then his Grandad could post it over here and then he will always have both? I still have a valid UK licence and an Australian one.

Your UK one isn't technically valid if you're not resident over there. You are legally obliged to update your license with your current residential address.

edit to add: you only need one anyway. you can drive on your australian license if you visit the UK, and the australian license travels just as well as the UK one.

If ever you go back to the UK, you just apply for a new card with your correct address on it (and new photo if it's been a while since your last one), it's very easy.

Guest gary1994

Hi, i go back to england in december and will hold a aussie P1 driver license how do i go about swapping my license before i get back???

Hi, i go back to england in december and will hold a aussie P1 driver license how do i go about swapping my license before i get back???

You don't, you have to go back first then swap it. Just bring your passport and Aussie licence to the DVLA in Wimbledon, Nottingham, Glasgow or Swansea and they will do it and post it to you.

Question for anyone who knows: I'm trying to go the other way, I'm Aussie but have a UK licence (but only since one year ago) - conflicting reports on various forums, but have been reading threads from several years ago. Can you still turn up at the RTA and will they give you an NSW one straight away? Do they take a copy of the UK licence or something?

@ Gary: If you already have a UK address then you can fill out the form and post it with relevant documentation, and they'll post your UK license to that UK address. You'd have to send your australian license along with the application, so wouldn't be able to drive for the rest of your stay in Australia.

@Zero: Not sure about NSW, I think they'll only give one to permanent residents, but should just be a case of turn up with your UK license and proof of address and they'll issue an australian one. That's how it worked for me in Adelaide last year.

@ Gary: If you already have a UK address then you can fill out the form and post it with relevant documentation, and they'll post your UK license to that UK address. You'd have to send your australian license along with the application, so wouldn't be able to drive for the rest of your stay in Australia.

If you have a British e-passport you don't actually need to send anything except the foreign licence. And once you get your UK one you can just go back to Australia and use the opposite process to get your Aussie one back. Or say your Australian one was lost.

Guest robwak

Hey Guys,

We are moving to SA towards end of year on a 457 visa. Am I able to buy a car if I have my English licence? To be honest I intend to stay and my job will give me immediate permanent residency so I was planning to get an Oz licence anyway. Do you have to take their test or do they just issue you one??

Hey Guys,

We are moving to SA towards end of year on a 457 visa. Am I able to buy a car if I have my English licence? To be honest I intend to stay and my job will give me immediate permanent residency so I was planning to get an Oz licence anyway. Do you have to take their test or do they just issue you one??

Hi Robwak,

If you come over on a temp visa then you're not required to change your licence over to an Australian one. We bought a used car from a dealer with only UK licences. However, once you have permanent residency you are required to obtain an Australian licence within 3 months. As stated on the SA driving website, you will not be required to take a test.

Have a look at the website http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport%2C+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Interstate+and+international+motorists/Motorists+from+overseas/Driving+with+an+overseas+licence#4

Guest robwak

Thanks Lisalan that helps a lot.

Cheers

Guest Jamie Riley

can you please tell me where t get the forms. I am british and living in australia but want to go home soon and have a P1 can i get a full Uk license and if so how and where do i apply???? thank you so much