IT Occupations and the new SOL

ptlabs

The only way I can think of is by going back to student visa and then lodging another 885 while on that visa with new ANZSCO. 885/886 is for students and does not require recent work experience at all.

Brother According to DIMMIA you are a graduate only till 6 months after passing your degree.. Once 6 months are gone..thats it all over you cannot claim recent graduate work experience exemption and are not considered for a Visa which is for a graduate..

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brother According to DIMMIA you are a graduate only till 6 months after passing your degree.. Once 6 months are gone..thats it all over you cannot clame recent graduate work ex..

The rule for students applying is, you apply within 6 months of course completion OR you wait till you get TR then apply (regardless when you finish course). Its not like its all over once the 6 month is past.

And since 885/886 does not have recent work experience as a eligibility requirement, they will not ask you for it.

How do you think the cooks/hairdressers are applying? They had to go and do some work experience and then wait for TR to be granted and then they apply for 885/886. By the time they are applying its almost a year since they finished studies.

I know many people that finished their studies back in middle of 2009. One guys cant apply coz he keeps flopping his IELTS and another is waiting for TR grant. Once they get past these hurdles they are eligible to lodge PR.

May be you are right .So the guys like me who never applied for TR will be in disadvantage?? lets see and we have to wait till elections then they will sort out a way for us.Keep an eye on new graduates who are applying for asesment after 1 july what assesment they will get when they finish same degree as we did.

No User Name you are wrong.I just called lawer and he said 485 is given to gain work ex or get employer ,you cannot lodge a seperate new 885/886 file on the basis of that visa as the definition of graduate has expired 6 months after the course.485 is for that visa class only not lodging another 885 with a new nominated occupation

Guest tyasawa
No User Name you are wrong.I just called lawer and he said 485 is given to gain work ex or get employer ,you cannot lodge a seperate new 885/886 file on the basis of that visa as the definition of graduate has expired 6 months after the course.485 is for that visa class only not lodging another 885 with a new nominated occupation

If this is true then, it would be really hard for 485 to apply for 885/886. I think as long as the skill assessment used for 485 still valid then can apply for 885/886, as it is stated on 885/886 page that people holding 485 can apply anyway. I am always under the impression that 485 is to gain the one year experience for people that lacks points or get better IETLS score, on their nominated occupation.

:( I'm really confused about this work experience waiver. Anyway, my boyfriend is currently holding 485. He still has valid skill assessment (afaik it is valid for 2 years). He then gets his .Net specialization last May thus he can get free re-assessment for ANZSCO. He shouldn't get work experience waiver then since it is way past 6 months from his graduation, lets see how it goes. I never deals with skill assessment tho, my agent did. That's why I'm clueless @_@

Hi Sammi4u,

User Name is correct about being able to lodge the 885 either at any period during the six months after meeting the Australian study requirement or at any later time if holding a subclass 476 or 485 visa, in each case provided you meet certain other criteria.

You may find that your lawyer was answering a different question.

This is what the legislation says:

885.21 Criteria to be satisfied at time of application

(1) The applicant meets the requirements of subclause (2), (3) or (4).

(2) The applicant met the requirements of subitem 1136(4) of Schedule 1, and:

(a) the applicant satisfied the Australian study requirement in the period of 6 months ending immediately before the day on which the application was made; and

(b) each degree, diploma or trade qualification used to satisfy the Australian study requirement is closely related to the applicant’s nominated skilled occupation.

(3) The applicant met the requirements of subitem 1136(5) of Schedule 1, and:

(a) if the applicant holds a Subclass 476 (Skilled — Recognised Graduate) visa, the qualification used to obtain that visa is closely related to the applicant’s nominated skilled occupation; or

(b) if the applicant holds a Subclass 485 (Skilled — Graduate) visa, each degree, diploma or trade qualification used to satisfy the Australian study requirement to obtain that visa is closely related to the applicant’s nominated skilled occupation.

(4) The applicant met the requirements of subitem 1136(6) of Schedule 1, and:

(a) the applicant must have completed the apprenticeship for which the Subclass 471 (Trade Skills Training) visa was granted; and

(b) the apprenticeship is closely related to the applicant’s nominated skilled occupation.

... and just to clarify, the text of subitem 1136(5) of Schedule 1 (the Schedule which determines whether applications are valid applications) is as follows:

(5) The following requirements must be met: (a) the applicant must be: (i) the holder of a Subclass

476 (Skilled — Recognised Graduate) visa; or (ii) the holder of a Subclass

485 (Skilled — Graduate) visa; (b) the applicant seeking to satisfy the primary criteria for the grant of the visa must: (i) have been granted the visa mentioned in paragraph (a) on the basis of satisfying the primary criteria for the grant of that visa; and

(ii) nominate a skilled occupation for the applicant in the application for which at least 50 points are available as specified by the Minister in an instrument in writing for this subparagraph.

Yes I'm sure there could have been a more elegant drafting solution :-)

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest jainrohit83

Hi all,

After reading posts in this thread, i am getting very confused. I am presently on 485 having my skill assessment with ACS assessed in oct 2008. I am having one year Australian experience as software developer. Am I eligible to apply for new skill assessment under group c, as this will prioritize the application according to new immi guidlines. Otherwise I will have to wait for another couple of years.

Any help from migration agents will be highly appreciated.

note:I called and mailed ACS, but no response from them, so clusless.

Thanks,

Rohit

Hi all,

After reading posts in this thread, i am getting very confused. I am presently on 485 having my skill assessment with ACS assessed in oct 2008. I am having one year Australian experience as software developer. Am I eligible to apply for new skill assessment under group c, as this will prioritize the application according to new immi guidlines. Otherwise I will have to wait for another couple of years.

Any help from migration agents will be highly appreciated.

note:I called and mailed ACS, but no response from them, so clusless.

Thanks,

Rohit

Group C does not require work experience but you can use it along with your Australian degree to apply for new assessment.

Do note once your 485 expires you will not be able to lodge a 885/886 visa. So you need to get assessed quickly if the expiry of your 485 is looming in the horizon. Note it takes 12 weeks for ACS to process you application.

Hi Peter,

I was looking here which shows mapping across from 2231-79 to 261399 Software and Applications Programmers nec or to 261314 Software Tester.

Please could you tell me where you've heard that these will not apply? It's brilliant news [i think] if they are not automatically mapped as these new codes aren't the ones we would have selected and aren't on the SOL. If I'm contacting DIAC then I'd like to tell them where this info came from.

If no automatic mapping is taking place, we'll need to contact DIAC for advice on next steps. We'd happily do a new skills assessment but can't afford to start the whole process again from scratch.

Nicky

I wrote that 2231-79 does not automatically convert to an SOL occupation.

As you pointed out above, 2231-79 converts to the two DIAC-endorsed ANZSCO codes. Neither of which are on the SOL.

So, in essence:

if you have not already lodged a skilled visa application and

you have a 2231-79 ACS result and

you wish to get onto a new SOL occupation code and

you feel you meet the requirements to nominate an IT occupation on the new SOL, then

you will need to go back to the ACS and get a new assessment or a re-assessment whichever the case may be.

Regards

Peter

Hi all,

I have received my ACS assessment between May 2010 and June 2010 as a Computer Professional nec.

But I have already applied for PR with Computer Professional NEC.

If you have already applied for a skilled visa nominating 2231-79, then you will not be able to change your nominated occupation on that visa application.

Regards

Peter

Nicky

As you pointed out above, 2231-79 converts to the two DIAC-endorsed ANZSCO codes. Neither of which are on the SOL.

So, in essence:

you feel you meet the requirements to nominate an IT occupation on the new SOL, then

you will need to go back to the ACS and get a new assessment or a re-assessment whichever the case may be.

Regards

Peter

I think, Peter you are not being specific, because you say SOL, but actually you mean SOL Schedule 3, whereas one can still use Schedule 4 - for example when one state puts 261399 Software and Applications Programmers nec or 261314 Software Tester on their SMP.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

George yes you are right.But then people like me who never applied for 485 as we satisfied the 886 conditions were always be in disadvantage? there should be a formula for people like us so that we should not be disadvantaged by this unfair rule? If it would have been known that this would be a position ,i would have applied 485 first...

I think, Peter you are not being specific, because you say SOL, but actually you mean SOL Schedule 3, whereas one can still use Schedule 4 - for example when one state puts 261399 Software and Applications Programmers nec or 261314 Software Tester on their SMP.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi Lenore,

I prefer to use the term "new SOL" when referring to Schedule 3 of the SOL. For all intents and purposes, that's the only schedule of the SOL that really matters when it comes to priority processing.

The other schedules of the SOL are for specific purposes, as you are aware. Schedule 4 of the SOL, for instance, is good for academic purposes at this point in time as it's nothing more than a menu of possible occupations that the states can theoretically pick from.

The people who can access the "generous" (according to DIAC) transitional arrangements can look at Schedule 2 of the SOL, but there's a reason why everyone in this category is stressing out about hooking on to a Schedule 3 code rather than a Schedule 2-only code.

So, really, the "new SOL" in the context of my posts so far is Schedule 3 of the SOL - the holy grail if you may, until the SMPs come into play. When the SMPs are out, Schedule 4 of the SOL will probably fade away from common discussions.

Regards

Peter

Guest shafaqat309
Nicky

So, in essence:

Regards

Peter

And if i have lodged my visa application with 2231-79 and CO has been assigned? It is still not clarified in the FAQs of DIAC announcement.

if you have not already lodged a skilled visa application and...

Hi Peter,

Thanks for getting back to me... unfortunately, [or fortunately depending on how this pans out!] we've already submitted. This is what I find confusing, although George has lead me to believe that if we sit tight we may find that Queensland's SMP includes those its has previously sponsored - if I've understoon him correctly. Am keeping my fingers crossed!

Nicky

And if i have lodged my visa application with 2231-79 and CO has been assigned? It is still not clarified in the FAQs of DIAC announcement.

Then the best option is to wait for further instructions from your CO, or ask your migration agent (if you have one) for specific advice relevant to your case.

If you have already lodged your visa application with 2231-79, then the ASCO-ANZSCO change-over etc is something that you can only passively observe.

Regards

Peter

Guest jigish

I have applied for GSM in Nov 2008 with ICT recent graduate as occupation, and in the meanwhile I've completed my Masters in IT in Feb 2010. So I still have few days to use this degree for new ANZSCO assessment.

My question is, if I'm able to get successful assessment, can I submit that assessment and change my occupation in GSM application and eventually able to get into cat 3?

Please guys reply soon, I have very few days.

I thinkl lot of people are using this forum as a free migration advice office.... I can see so many individual questions asked but guys remember nobody knows anything these days!!!!

I thinkl lot of people are using this forum as a free migration advice office

Indeed.

There are pros and cons of anything we do in life. We just have to realise that that's the case with whatever path we choose to take.

Regards

Peter

I have applied for GSM in Nov 2008 with ICT recent graduate as occupation, and in the meanwhile I've completed my Masters in IT in Feb 2010. So I still have few days to use this degree for new ANZSCO assessment.o

My question is, if I'm able to get successful assessment, can I submit that assessment and change my occupation in GSM application and eventually able to get into cat 3?

Please guys reply soon, I have very few days.

You cannot change occupation. Only way to go to cat3 is to lodge brand new application.

Guest twosouls

Aloha group..

I've stayed off of this site for the past six months or so.. Every time I come back there is more bad news, or something has changed again!!

In these past eight pages I have tried to read the posts to see where I stand with my ACS coding.. I ended up getting ACS approval and "labeled" back in August of 09 (ASCO code given was 2231-11)... I also managed to get NSW sponsorship under my ASCO code.. I am here on a 457 visa at the moment working for an IT company and I have a 176 application in with Immigration.. I put the application into Immi in Sept of 09 after I got state sponsorship..

The question I have, is do I need to do anything, or do I sit back and hope that my application gets approved some year?

Sorry if someone has asked this already, but I didn't see it in this topic of the forum..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Aloha for now

Gary

Guest Pixie10

Hi Gary,

Sorry I can't help you with your query but I was wondering if you could help me! :wink:

My OH is in IT (mcsa, ccna, avaya etc) and we are looking for sponsorship, just wondered how you got yours? Applied for jobs then asked for sponsorship or saw a sponsorship offered with a job or another way??

Any advice/help or contacts in the industry would be brilliant :biggrin:

Thanks for any help and good luck

Guest twosouls

Aloha Pixie10..

I did the move to Australia in a backwards way... I was living in Fiji and needed to get out after the last coup as living there became quite dangerous..

So I sold everything I had and moved to Australia.. I bought a home here and then was flagged by Immigration as "trying to live here".. Duh, who isn't.. :)

So with the period of time living here while on my tourist visa, I made some contacts and Australia is very similar to every other place in the world.. It's who you know and who you meet while you are here.. There are plenty of IT jobs here in Oz and frankly not a lot of IT people here that have a clue as to what they are doing.. If you OH knows his stuff, just come over and do some interviews and he'll get sponsored...

Since I've been in my job, I've had many offers to go to other companies.. Most are in the big cities like Sydney, but I'm quite happy staying here in little Coffs Harbour...

Hope that helps..

Aloha for now

Gary

Guest Pixie10

Thanks so much for the reply and the help. :smile:

My OH has been doing IT for 16 years and loves it so its a bit of a hobby too (geek!). He's worked for international companies in London in the past so we are hopeful he will find a job. He has been looking on job sites and there does seem to be a lot of jobs he can do but most if not all state that he must already have a visa.

Just wondering if you had any info about how he would get sponsorship without actually going out to Oz? We were hoping to be around Sydney, do you have any email contacts that we could send CV's to?? Please.

I know I'm being cheeky- but hey if you don't ask....... :biggrin:

Archived