IT Occupations and the new SOL

ptlabs

Just wondering is there any difference between 2231-79 nec with 2231-79 ICT Recent Grad?

Reason I ask is if there is no difference, then when states release their SMPs from this list: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule4.pdf there is a chance some of us might get rescued from group 4, provided they pick 261314 Software Tester OR 261399 Software and Applications Programmers nec which correlates with 2231-79 nec

Or am I missing something?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Peter,

Just a note on Computing Professional (nec) 2231-79:

The document announcing the new Processing Arrangements also mentions:

"Applicants with a nominated occupation of Computing Professional (nec), Hospital Pharmacist and Retail Pharmacist, who have already been allocated a case officer, will be contacted directly by their case officer to advise processing arrangements."

I would really want to know if anyone has been contacted by a CO in this matter as I am in the same situation and hoping to hear from the CO that they will continue processing my application.

I have been asked to provide PCC + medicals on 07/07/2010 and already sent all the documents.

I am from a HR country though, so I've got no idea how far I am from a decision on the application.

Mate i am in a same position as you!!!

Applied on 20 aug 2008 CO Assigned on 23 Dec 2008 ,CSL came on 1 Jan 2009 and after that always at bottom.

But no CO has contacted me after the announcement of these arrangements...

Mate i am in a same position as you!!!

Applied on 20 aug 2008 CO Assigned on 23 Dec 2008 ,CSL came on 1 Jan 2009 and after that always at bottom.

But no CO has contacted me after the announcement of these arrangements...

Hello Mate

may i ask you that when you have applied for your visa anyways...

So far as i know processing of 2231-79 was stopped on 31-dec-2008 as soon as CSL came in place...

I applied through paperwork.. not online my 886 Australian sponsored Visa as IT Graduate

Guest ihuangyu

Hi, I have a few questions.

1. I currently hold 2231-79 Recently Graduate, which I applied more than one years age. (I've graduated nearly 2 years)

And I only have a little more than one years experience working on JAVA/.NET/SQL Server

Can I successfully got 261312 Developer Programmer?

2. I lodged my 885 application on Apr/2009 (No CO, nothing changed since I lodged). If I get the new ACS accessment result as 261312 Developer Programmer, can I inform DIAC to "map" my ASCO code to it, or I have to lodge another application?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks, George for your reply.

I'm still confused. We haven't lodged for visa yet. I'm a defacto, but my partner got .Net 2231-79 code in March; in April we applied for South Australia sponsorship and recently they sent us an email that helped us change our application from old to new SMP without resending any new documents or altering our application.

I thought ASCO codes 2231-79 are mapped to 261399 Software and Applications Programmers nec (Schedule 4) and unless we want to change it to Developer Programmer or Software Engineer (which are on Schedule 3) we don't need to cope with ACS reassessment/new assessment.

How come SA didn't care we had no ANZSCO code? Do we still need to get new assessment so that we have ANZSCO when lodging for a visa? If by any chance we get sponsored by SA, we won't have time to get response from ACS with ANZSCO code before sponsorship expires. I just thought if we have assessment for 2231-79 we write 261399 code in visa application and with documents attach ACS 2231-79 assessment.

I'd appreciate any comments.

If you have an outstanding gsm with an asco code in schedule 4 and therefore priority 4 and don't agree with the transitional code you have been given can you reapply to acs for a code in schedule 3. Assuming you get +ve asses you can then apply for smp.

Now will diac accept this with current gsm application? Or force you to reapply and spend $

I found this on immi site:

Applications with a mix of ASCO and ANZSCO information

To ensure that prospective visa applicants and employers who want to sponsor or nominate someone under the skilled visa program are not disadvantaged, legislation and policy guidelines have been developed to allow ASCO-based documents and information to be accepted after the introduction of ANZSCO in certain circumstances.

Examples:

* A nomination or visa application lodged after 1 July 2010 will have an ANZSCO nominated occupation, but the applicant might submit an ASCO skills assessment they had previously obtained from an SAA, provided that the skills assessment is still valid.

Also in one of posts on this forum Geaorge Lombard wrote:

Also likely that most states will specify particular IT skillsets from within the available IT Schedule 3 and 4 occupations. The great hope is that if this is done in an appropriate fashion then people with existing ACS assessments may not need to be reassessed, and instead could apply for state sponsorship immediately.

So I thought this kind of solution will be used, especially after SA moved our application to new SMP even though we (and many others) applied using ASCO codes. If by any chance we get sponsored there is no chance changing ASCO to ANZSCO via ACS before State Sponsorship expires.

ASCO 2231-79 maps to ANZSCO 261399.

My understanding is that if SA has 261399 Software and Applications Programmers nec on their SMP, then SA will sponsor people with 2231-79 (of course if they fulfill all the other conditions) and those people lodge for visas under 261399 Software and Applications Programmers nec with attached 2231-79 assessment.

If SA didn't want to sponsor ASCO assessed applicants, they would have rejected all ASCO applications instead of moving them to new SMP queue.

But, well, I guess nothing will surprise us now... :wacko:

Hi Peter,

Just a note on Computing Professional (nec) 2231-79:

The document announcing the new Processing Arrangements also mentions:

"Applicants with a nominated occupation of Computing Professional (nec), Hospital Pharmacist and Retail Pharmacist, who have already been allocated a case officer, will be contacted directly by their case officer to advise processing arrangements."

I would really want to know if anyone has been contacted by a CO in this matter as I am in the same situation and hoping to hear from the CO that they will continue processing my application.

I have been asked to provide PCC + medicals on 07/07/2010 and already sent all the documents.

I am from a HR country though, so I've got no idea how far I am from a decision on the application.

Hi

I am in the same boat as you. Lodged on the 8th April 2010, Case officer early june requesting medicals and police clearance, all submitted but not heard anything from case officer. Have sent it 3 e-mails asking for an update with no response at all!! Really frustrating at the moment, especially that each time they make changes it affects those of us already in the system!!

Regards

Some indications of how the IT industry came to be divided in the new skilled occupation lists can be found in the Skills Australia occupation summary sheets at Skills Australia . It seems to me that the data relied on for determining an industry downturn for IT people would have been significantly affected by the GFC, and hence inappropriately relied on in 2010. Hopefully the next annual review will correct that.

The Skills Australia website also has useful material for other occupations, and explains the exclusion of about 70 occupations, but only one IT occupation.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest ddd2010

OK So, based on SkillsAustralia's publication http://www.skillsaustralia.gov.au/PDFs_RTFs/SOL/2613SoftwareandApplicationsProgrammers.pdf

Software and Applications Programmers nec have not been included on the SOL.

This occupation comprises software testers, and made up 5 per cent of the unit group’s employment at the 2006 Census.

Does this mean that SkillsAustralia only considered software testers to be in this group? Does this imply (from the ASCO to ANZSCO mapping) that all applicants that were assessed as 2231-79 Computing Professional, including ICT Recent Graduate, are classified as software testers?

Well I dont think ACS based their assessment (under the old guideline in ASCO code) on that assumption.

Guys It seems that the fun days are over.We were getting excited that may be we are (IT Graduates Onshore Pre July 2010) on the SOL but it seems we have misunderstood the equation.Lets see what happens to those graduates who are going to apply after July 2010.ACS has clearly said that any 2231-79 applicant without 2 yrs work ex cannot reapply for assesment ie in Group C which is for graduates.So we are stuck... Just keep an eye on new graduates and if they get assesment for SOL occupation then we can make an appeal in court on behaf of that

we applied for South Australia sponsorship and recently they sent us an email that helped us change our application from old to new SMP without resending any new documents or altering our application.

Hi Lenore,

Could you share what this email said exactly?

Thanks,

Nicky

.ACS has clearly said that any 2231-79 applicant without 2 yrs work ex cannot reapply for assesment ie in Group C which is for graduates.So we are stuck... Just keep an eye on new graduates and if they get assesment for SOL occupation then we can make an appeal in court on behaf of that

Bro, can you please put me the link where it says that you cannot get re-assessed in group C or that its only for 'recent graduates'? I looked everywhere in ACS and rules are pretty black and white. If you have studied done a bachelors degree with a Major in IT in Australia you can get assessed with work experience waived UNDER group C.

There is no such rule that we can't get re-assessed under group C after certain time has elapsed or anything like that. Even if you have a IT degree from 1980 (in Australia) you can still apply to be reassessed under group C, let alone few years ago.

Just to quote from the FAQ in ACS website:

19. I have recently completed a Diploma in IT here in Australia, am I eligible?

Unless you have at least 5 years work experience you would not be eligible for assessment, the work exemption regulation applies only to persons holding an Australian Bachelor degree/Graduate Diploma/Masters degree in IT.

Nicky, I would like to add that we haven't lodged for a visa yet :) We applied for South Australia SS on the 5th of May.

Dear *** Reference Number: ***

Re: Your current application for State Sponsorship – SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Immigration SA would like to thank you for your application for Sponsorship and the supporting documents which have been received and are awaiting processing. As you are aware South Australia, as are the other States/Territories, is developing our State Migration Plans, integral to which will be the List of Occupations for State Sponsorships.

While we are in the process of finalising the State Migration Plan and the List of Occupations for State Sponsorships, we would like to give you the opportunity to apply for State Sponsorship without submitting a new application.

If you wish your current Sponsorship Application to be automatically considered for State Sponsorship under the new State Migration Plan when this is implemented, you are required to advise Immigration SA by meeting the following guidelines:

• Send an email to gsm.sa@sa.gov.au before 23/07/2010
  • Indicate in the Subject line: CSS-SMP-SA
  • State your Given and Family Name (as it appeared in the application form)
  • Include the Immigration SA 6-digit reference number
  • This email must be sent from the email address that was provided to Immigration SA in the applicant’s original online application
  • Requests by fax or phone or any other method other than email will not be considered
  • Any responses to this email received after the date indicated above, will not be considered
  • Note that to obtain an approval, your current application must include a Nominated Occupation that is on the new List AND you meet all the criteria under the State Migration Plan
  • Once a decision has been made on your current application, you will be advised via email, you can also track the progress of your application through the Online Client Tracking System
  • Only complete applications received will be considered under the State Migration Plan. All applications received “Incomplete” have been destroyed and will not be considered.
  • You can check the status of your application through the Online Client Tracking System.

Immigration SA will commence taking new applications for State Sponsorship when the State Migration plan is implemented. Information about the plan and the sponsorship eligibility list and any new criteria will be available on the Immigration SA website www.migration.sa.gov.au when they are finalised. There is no date set for the release of the State Migration Plan but it is not likely to occur before August 2010.

Do not contact Immigration SA but monitor our website at www.migration.sa.gov.au – for the release of the State Migration Plan and the List of Occupations for Sponsorship for the next Program Year. Any amendments to the criteria, process and processing times will also be published when the State Migration Plan is released and all applicants must meet any new requirements.

Manager – General Skilled Migration

Immigration South Australia

DEPARTMENT OF TRADE AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT

I wonder if a Nominated Occupation that is on the new List means both Schedule 3 AND 4...

Bro, can you please put me the link where it says that you cannot get re-assessed in group C or that its only for 'recent graduates'? I looked everywhere in ACS and rules are pretty black and white. If you have studied done a bachelors degree with a Major in IT in Australia you can get assessed with work experience waived UNDER group C.

There is no such rule that we can't get re-assessed under group C after certain time has elapsed or anything like that. Even if you have a IT degree from 1980 (in Australia) you can still apply to be reassessed under group C, let alone few years ago.

Unless you have at least 5 years work experience you would not be eligible for assessment, the work exemption regulation applies only to persons holding an Australian Bachelor degree/Graduate Diploma/Masters degree in IT.

http://www.acs.org.au/assessment/docs/PASAGuidelinesforApplicants.doc

User_Name the PASA guidelines for Group C applicants states "Applicants are assessed in this group when the Application for Skills Assessment submitted to the ACS indicates that the applicant is seeking recent work experience exemption under the DIAC provisions currently in place for applicants who meet the Australian study requirement.

Refer to http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf for more details."

The definitions for recent work experience exemption can be found on page 8 and that for Australian study requirement on page 6 in booklet 1119..

Hello User_Name

Here we go.Brother you cannot reaccess your degree in Group 3 as a graduate if you have used your assesment for migration purposes and you have crossed 6 months recent graduate period. ....I am mailing you the link. You can download the PASA review form and look for this quote on first page...

Download form 3.0 (Review of PASA and look 1st page)

ACS (Australian Computer Society) - Membership, Professionalism and Leadership for ICT Professionals and the ICT Community

"If you have already used the assessment outcome letter for Migration purposes, then the assessment process is regarded as finished and no Review request can be made."

Guest ddd2010
Hello User_Name

Here we go.Brother you cannot reaccess your degree in Group 3 as a graduate if you have used your assesment for migration purposes and you have crossed 6 months recent graduate period. ....I am mailing you the link. You can download the PASA review form and look for this quote on first page...

ACS (Australian Computer Society) - Membership, Professionalism and Leadership for ICT Professionals and the ICT Community

"If you have already used the assessment outcome letter for Migration purposes, then the assessment process is regarded as finished and no Review request can be made."

I think that's only for reviewing. I'm pretty sure you can lodge a new application for group C skills assessment at anytime even if you finished your degree in 1980. The only problem is you can't lodge a new GSM application because 6 months have passed since the time you graduated.

I think that's only for reviewing. I'm pretty sure you can lodge a new application for group C skills assessment at anytime even if you finished your degree in 1980. The only problem is you can't lodge a new GSM application because 6 months have passed since the time you graduated.

I think you have a valid point ddd2010.But how can we clarify that? ACS neither picks up the phone nor they reply to any e mail?

If i apply for new assesment and it comes out to be one of on the SOL then will DIMMIA change my assesment to 2231-79 to new ANZSCO code?(remember they say you cannot change your nominated occupation?)

Guest sanjaygupta18

Hi George,

My current company is not ready to provide me the Job Reference letter with job and responsibilities. The can provide me letter stating my position and duration with the company.

In this case if i make a statutory declaration then whats the format for this declaration and how many pages this declaration should be? Please help

Sanjay

Guest ddd2010
I think you have a valid point ddd2010.But how can we clarify that? ACS neither picks up the phone nor they reply to any e mail?

If i apply for new assesment and it comes out to be one of on the SOL then will DIMMIA change my assesment to 2231-79 to new ANZSCO code?(remember they say you cannot change your nominated occupation?)

I don't think a new skills assessment will do anything under the current arrangement. However, I think if DIAC just accept that many people who were assessed as 2231-79 can easily be reassessed under one of the new IT occupations in the new SOL and come up with some sort of provisions that allow these applicants who can get a new assessment under the new SOL to move up to priority 3 or something like that then that would solve all the problems.

I mean there's going to be the cost for a new skills assessment but I think most applicants won't be too fuss about that.

Guest tyasawa
I don't think a new skills assessment will do anything under the current arrangement. However, I think if DIAC just accept that many people who were assessed as 2231-79 can easily be reassessed under one of the new IT occupations in the new SOL and come up with some sort of provisions that allow these applicants who can get a new assessment under the new SOL to move up to priority 3 or something like that then that would solve all the problems.

I mean there's going to be the cost for a new skills assessment but I think most applicants won't be too fuss about that.

This would be an ideal solution to this mess. I'm really curious why they neglect this obvious loophole. Maybe they need money to refund pre September 2007 applicants? They implicitly forcing us to to submit new application since we can't nominate 'different occupation'.

I'm tempted to apply for 175, but it is most likely that the rules will change again before I got any decision.

Guest shafaqat309
Hi George,

My current company is not ready to provide me the Job Reference letter with job and responsibilities. The can provide me letter stating my position and duration with the company.

In this case if i make a statutory declaration then whats the format for this declaration and how many pages this declaration should be? Please help

Sanjay

You manager will provide the reference letter on the company's letter head. HR department provides an experience letter which is optional for ACS.

Guest shafaqat309

My friend contacted his CO for the priority processing and his CO replied " as you have been allocated to CO, so new priority processing is not for you", he is computing professional nec.

Hello User_Name

I was referring to lodging a brand new application. You are eligible for new application under group C regardless when you completed your course.

You can reapply for 885/886 if you still have 485. If 485 is expired or never lodged, then you can't.

The only way I can think of is by going back to student visa and then lodging another 885 while on that visa with new ANZSCO. 885/886 is for students and does not require recent work experience at all.

If you are working its better to go into 457 then ENS, but I think the 2 years of "recent work experience" can only be considered if you got them while you had 457 and/or few other work visas as DIAC says in the employee requirements of 856.

have worked full-time in Australia in the nominated occupation on a Subclass 418, 421, 422, 428, 444, 457 or 461 temporary residence visa for the last two years prior to the visa application being made (including at least the last 12 months with the nominating employer)