Sanctuary Lakes - What's it like to live there ?

Bosh

Guest The Pom Queen
This is beginning to worry me a bit now, I don't want to land in Melbourne and be homeless, what is the solution?, any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. Regards, Mark.

Hi Mark

Just replied to your pm (sorry about that). It is hard, the best thing I can recommend is getting friendly with the agent in that area (I can give you a contact if you wish) see what they have available around the time you land, book in to a hotel or furnished rental for a week and then go and view them. You will find the agents in Sanctuary Lakes have quite a few properties available so they are willing to wait for you to arrive most of the time and will help out, if you were heading to any other area of Melbourne then I would be saying allow 4 weeks in furnished accommodation, because competition can be fierce.

Make sure you have everything ready for when you arrive, applications filled out before the OFI, a cover letter stating you have just arrived, if you have a healthy bank balance show this, maybe even offer ex amount of rent up front if you can afford it.

Anything else I can help with just shout.

Kate

Guest Barney Withers
Hi Mark

Just replied to your pm (sorry about that). It is hard, the best thing I can recommend is getting friendly with the agent in that area (I can give you a contact if you wish) see what they have available around the time you land, book in to a hotel or furnished rental for a week and then go and view them. You will find the agents in Sanctuary Lakes have quite a few properties available so they are willing to wait for you to arrive most of the time and will help out, if you were heading to any other area of Melbourne then I would be saying allow 4 weeks in furnished accommodation, because competition can be fierce.

Make sure you have everything ready for when you arrive, applications filled out before the OFI, a cover letter stating you have just arrived, if you have a healthy bank balance show this, maybe even offer ex amount of rent up front if you can afford it.

Kate

Hi Mark & Kate

I have same issue so I'd like to join in please? Would you know, if I have relatives in Oz, can they set up the contract prior to our arrival? Same as Mark, I'd like to move the family straight into where we'll eventually live (for a year t least.)

Thanks

Barney

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Mark & Kate

I have same issue so I'd like to join in please? Would you know, if I have relatives in Oz, can they set up the contract prior to our arrival? Same as Mark, I'd like to move the family straight into where we'll eventually live (for a year t least.)

Thanks

Barney

Hi Barney

Probably around 95% of agents no longer entertain people looking at properties on your behalf, they had so many arrivals breaking the lease because once they arrived they didn't like the property etc.

However, if you are heading to Sanctuary Lakes/Point Cook then a couple of the agents would allow your relatives to view on your behalf, if you are not let me know what area you are considering and I can let you know which agents can help.

It's ok if you are looking at new houses but if not be careful, the agents are very clever at making the worst properties look like castles with the camera angles they use.

Kate

Guest Barney Withers
Hi Barney

Probably around 95% of agents no longer entertain people looking at properties on your behalf, they had so many arrivals breaking the lease because once they arrived they didn't like the property etc.

However, if you are heading to Sanctuary Lakes/Point Cook then a couple of the agents would allow your relatives to view on your behalf, if you are not let me know what area you are considering and I can let you know which agents can help.

It's ok if you are looking at new houses but if not be careful, the agents are very clever at making the worst properties look like castles with the camera angles they use.

Kate

Thanks very much Kate - very helpful advice. Having just had my visa approved (yay!) we're planning to come out at the end of Feb and live in Snctuary Lakes. The idea is to buy land and have a house built there - I was there in April and fell inlove with the place, so renting and living there seems to be the right thing.

My wife is an Aussie and all her family live in Melbourne (brother in Point Cook) so hopefully you can recommend an agent they can approach?

Thanks again.

Barney

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks very much Kate - very helpful advice. Having just had my visa approved (yay!) we're planning to come out at the end of Feb and live in Snctuary Lakes. The idea is to buy land and have a house built there - I was there in April and fell inlove with the place, so renting and living there seems to be the right thing.

My wife is an Aussie and all her family live in Melbourne (brother in Point Cook) so hopefully you can recommend an agent they can approach?

Thanks again.

Barney

That is great news on the visa, congratulations:jiggy:

Sanctuary Lakes is beautiful and I am sure you will be very happy there. If you want to send me a Pm I will get you some contacts to call who will be happy for your family to view. There are some beautiful houses in that area and at least you should have fibre optic if you are on SL:biggrin:

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks again Kate - is PM personal mail? Thanks!

Hi Barney

I have sent you a contact, will send you some more on Monday, if I forget please remind me as am getting old and my memory is slacking lol:wubclub:

Guest Barney Withers
Hi Barney

I have sent you a contact, will send you some more on Monday, if I forget please remind me as am getting old and my memory is slacking lol:wubclub:

Got it! Many thanks Kate - really appreciate your help. B

Hi Mark

Kate

I would really appreciate it if you could give me a contact for an agent in that area, thank you.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
This is beginning to worry me a bit now, I don't want to land in Melbourne and be homeless, what is the solution?, any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. Regards, Mark.

I don't know what your finances are like, but have you thought about a holiday rental for a couple of weeks, try looking at stayz holiday rentals, or other holiday sites in Australi, just google them, they do some really good offers and if you can book in somewhere for a couple of weeks, it could enable you to look for a rental at your own liesure.

we once looked at going to sanctuary lakes and the surrounding areas and the new houses were fantastic and really cheap, you could get a massive brilliant new art decor 4 bedroomed detached house for less than $400,000 and they would have cost a fortune back here in the uk and frankly way out of our price range, but out there we could easily afford it.

best of luck.

• 2 months later...
Guest discodave555

Hi,

myself and my girlfriend have moved to Melbourne. We are both in our mid to late 20's with no children.

Would you recommend Sanctuary Lakes as a place to live?

Are there many young couples living in this area?

Thanks

Dave

I have visited sanctuary lakes for a BBQ with friends, and its a lovely place the houses are stunning however my impression was its a bit far from everywhere shops etc. I may be wrong as i've said i've only been there once. But if you have a car and can get about easily it looks a lovely place to live.

Guest Barney Withers

Hi Disco Dave

Sorry for late reply but I've just moved in to Sanctuary Lakes four days ago and it's been a bit hectic!

For me - 42 yrs old with wife and 2 kids - I think Sanctuary Lakes is great. Really relaxing and a very 'exclusive' feel. We're renting for a year until we buy until we've made up our minds and the jury is out though...

For all it's plus points (and there are many,) our initial thoughts are that for the extra $50k you would have to pay to buy a house here it may be spent better elsewhere (i.e. another bedroom.)

Point Cook has a shopping area that is great (and I'm a bloke saying this!) - all very modern, loads of coffee shops, restaurants and a real buzz. I think that would be the place we'd buy (at the moment) as it is also about 15 minutes closer to the freeway to get into town.

I'll keep you updated as I really have only been here for 4 days (long days!) and our views may change.

Hope this has helped.

Barney

Hi Disco Dave

Sorry for late reply but I've just moved in to Sanctuary Lakes four days ago and it's been a bit hectic!

For me - 42 yrs old with wife and 2 kids - I think Sanctuary Lakes is great. Really relaxing and a very 'exclusive' feel. We're renting for a year until we buy until we've made up our minds and the jury is out though...

For all it's plus points (and there are many,) our initial thoughts are that for the extra $50k you would have to pay to buy a house here it may be spent better elsewhere (i.e. another bedroom.)

Point Cook has a shopping area that is great (and I'm a bloke saying this!) - all very modern, loads of coffee shops, restaurants and a real buzz. I think that would be the place we'd buy (at the moment) as it is also about 15 minutes closer to the freeway to get into town.

I'll keep you updated as I really have only been here for 4 days (long days!) and our views may change.

Hope this has helped.

Barney

Barney

Good luck with the move and we look forward to your updates from sanctuary lakes!

PG

Guest Barney Withers

No problem at all. So after 9 months of furious planning the move went very well. If anyone wants some advice or a copy of the (very long) moving schedule I made then don't hesitate. Good luck all.

By the way - it rocks in Oz!!

:biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

This is Exactly wht I want to hear!! Thank you!

Is hard to make that decision and scary. So nice to see a recommendation.

Please can I have the long version :o)

Bubs (early stages but almost decided to go!)

Guest Barney Withers

Hi Bubs

So I've been here a month now and things are just as great as before! Everything just seems easier, more logical and friendlier (the people truly are.) Remember this is just my opinion but we really are enjoying it here in Melbourne. Imagine an England that looks like America full of happy English people....

You still need money mind. The Pound is really weak compared to the Aus Dollar and the economy here is refusing to go down - even with the 'summer of disasters' - floods, fires, crops ruined etc... Although I have a feeling the cost of houses will flatten if not drop. They've been increasing at such a huge rate that it's getting to the point that people won't be able to afford them.

I withdrew some equity from my house in the UK and then rented it out. The excess that that brings in goes towards the rent here. I'll not bring out any Pounds until it gets better. Look on realestate.com.au for house prices.

I've attached my schedule, but it's not perfect and not necessarily in the right order for you. For example I would definately get a visa before starting anything - there were some scary moments (like resigning before I had the visa!) But it'll give you a good start. Happy reading!

There'll be loads of questions you'll have - make list and fire them over!

Best of British!

Barney

Aw thank you so much! And congrats on your happy move!

I have "oz" days and "uk" days! Life here for us is good, but too busy, broke and cramped!

We have lots of credit card debt and no money in our two houses so we have to do some serious saving!

Been looking at houses in Point Cook and the new ones seem lovely and good value. Are they really?

How did you get on the www so quickly? All these little things worry me!

Can you tell me, any idea what a telecoms person may earn over there? That's what hubby does very well in London. Me, I'm a hairdresser and fully booked, self employed. I'd have to start over! Wow....

I'll go read, many many thanks! Help appreciated x

Guest Barney Withers

Yeah I know what you mean Bubs, life in London was tough. More work, less money.... The houses here are MASSIVE. We're renting a 4 bed bungalow and it's really good value. There's also LOADS of people moaning about the internet here. Put it this way - if you've got a phone line you can almost certainly get broadband. There are lots of faster options here (ADSL 2+...) but if you live in the UK you won't know what they are you don't need to - it works!

It's all about telecoms and IT here - as the country is so large communication is a big factor. If he's qualified I've no doubt he'll be on the 'skills list' and strangely enough I think hairdressers are in short supply too! I think the list is called the MODL and skills vary in different parts of the country - it should also give you an idea of salary (or the job sites over here could.)

Send me you email address (if that's allowed?) and I'll email the schedule directly if you want.

Chin up and start saving!!!!

Couldnt sleep last night!! That never happens!!! Brain going crazy!

Also I've been waiting for a job to become available which will help considerably to costs! So I'm applying for that today too!

I do appreciate your help. It's so valuable!

Email is Louise@stranddesigns.co.UK

Have a great day!

• 1 month later...
Guest mazkinmond5

Hey jumping on bandwagon also!! was looking for the same info, we have been looking at sanctury lakes/point cook areas. We are moving over 6th Oct(all going well) can i just ask who you are using for rental? have you actualy signed before going? I didnt think this was possible?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Guest discodave555

Hi All,

We are now living on Sanctuary Lakes, and loving it. Got to know a few people, playing football regularly so its all good.

I do have one question, my partner will be working away for a few weeks and unfortunately will be taking the car, so its public transport to the CBD for me.

Does anyone know how long the bus takes from Sanctuary Lakes to Laverton/Aircraft station.

Obviously the traffic gets very busy so would need to make an earlier start than I would have hoped.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks

Dave

No problem at all. So after 9 months of furious planning the move went very well. If anyone wants some advice or a copy of the (very long) moving schedule I made then don't hesitate. Good luck all.

By the way - it rocks in Oz!!

:biggrin:

Barney I'll have a copy if it's not to much trouble

Cheers

Archived