Sanctuary Lakes - What's it like to live there ?

Bosh

We're in the process of mving to Melbourne, and have applied for a rental property in the sanctuary lakes estate. I've had a quick look around when I was there in June (currently back in the UK) and liked it, but I've also been reading some bad things on the forums. I just wondered if anyone on here who lives there, or has lived htere could put me straight on a few points ?

1) I'm going to be commuting to the CBD each day. I hear that they train is packed, and the traffic is bad. How long (realistically) is it likely to take to get to Docklands each day (either via Southern cross or by road). Is 45 minutes realistic during the rush hour ?

2) Some pepole say that the estate is soul less, and there's never anyone around, so it feels empty. That's not the impression that I got, however I did visit on a weekend. We're sociable people, and looking for somewhere were our 9 year old daughter is likely to meet some friends, and hopefully, where we can build a social life.

3) Schools. Mixed reports on schools. Point Cook primary seems to have good feedback. Are there any others that people can recommend ?

Any advice would be helpful.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Bosh

What you have to understand is that there are a lot of people out there who do not like new estates and prefer the older suburbs. This is usually why you get the comment "it's soulless". Personally I like Sanctuary Lakes and I like their sister estate in the SE which is Sandhurst. However, I do like the new estates and live in one myself. In the new estates it is normal for you to not see anyone around, they all have automatic garages so they come home from work press a button to open the garage and close it behind them this happens day in day out and you may never see your neighbor in weeks. The same goes for children, they don't play out the same as they do in the UK but are more involved in after school activities.

In regards to getting to the CBD, there is only one way across if you are driving and that's over the West Gate which at rush hour is a standstill. If catching the train I would head to Laverton then catch it to Southern Cross which would take about 25mins and then catch the 86 tram in to Docklands. I am not sure how packed the trains are but if its anything like the ones coming from the SE to the city at rush hour you could be standing.

Both Sanctuary Lakes and Point Cook are family suburbs and not somewhere that you would want to live if you were single.

In regards to schools take a look here: Moving to Melbourne: Point Cook and Sanctuary Lakes Suburb Guide I would recommend PC Primary and also Seabrook.

I think the best thing is to decide for yourself, no matter where you live or what you do in life there are going to be people who think you are making a mistake, if it feels right for you go for it.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

Kate

Kate,

Thanks for your very informative response. I've pretty much reached the same conclusion myself, but its nice to have another view.

Just about to put a deposit down on a rental house in the next couple of days, and we're very excited that the move is actually happening. Move in date 18th September !

Thanks again.

Hi Bosh

What you have to understand is that there are a lot of people out there who do not like new estates and prefer the older suburbs. This is usually why you get the comments "it's soulless". Personally I like Sanctuary Lakes and I like their sister estate in the SE which is Sandhurst. However, I like the new estates and live in one myself. In the new estates it is normal for you to not see anyone around, they all have automatic garages so they come home from work press a button to open the garage and close it behind you this happens day in day out and you may never see your neighbor in weeks. The same goes for children, they don't play out the same as they do in the UK but are more involved in after school activities.

In regards to getting to the CBD, there is only one way across if you are driving and that's over the West Gate which at rush hour is a standstill. If catching the train I would head to Laverton then catch it to Southern Cross which would take about 25mins and then catch the 86 tram in to Docklands. I am not sure how packed the trains are but if its anything like the ones coming from the SE to the city at rush hour you could be standing.

Both Sanctuary Lakes and Point Cook and family suburbs and not somewhere that you would want to live if you were single.

In regards to schools take a look here: Moving to Melbourne: Point Cook and Sanctuary Lakes Suburb Guide I would recommend PC Primary and also Seabrook.

I think the best thing is to decide for yourself, no matter where you live or what you do in life there are going to be people who think you are making a mistake, if it feels right for you go for it.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

Kate

Guest The Pom Queen

It sounds very exciting, have fun, hopefully the weather will get a little warmer for you.

Kate

Hi guys... hope im not hijacking here. Im looking at the same area for my family and wondered what the shopping development/centre is like there?

Is it somewhere you could spend a day wandering round?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I live on Sanctuary Lakes and love it here. Yes, it is quiet, but its getting better....

Point Cook centre is fab.!!! Great shops and good restaurants. I love it in Point cook (wish we had a beach but u cant have everything)...

I have a few friends who work in CBD and it takes about 40 mins on train and same in car. Although busy, unless there is an accident, then it takes them about 30/40 mins to get into work..

We have regular meets with other brits at "The Brook" and a few of the "gang" have a 9 year old girl so when u get here give us a shout and we will meet up.

Where on Sanctuary Lakes are you going?

Elaine

PS Point Cook Primary is excellent, but you wont get in if you are living in SL as they have just started zoning schools.

Hi,

I live on Sanctuary Lakes and love it here. Yes, it is quiet, but its getting better....

Point Cook centre is fab.!!! Great shops and good restaurants. I love it in Point cook (wish we had a beach but u cant have everything)...

I have a few friends who work in CBD and it takes about 40 mins on train and same in car. Although busy, unless there is an accident, then it takes them about 30/40 mins to get into work..

We have regular meets with other brits at "The Brook" and a few of the "gang" have a 9 year old girl so when u get here give us a shout and we will meet up.

Where on Sanctuary Lakes are you going?

Elaine

PS Point Cook Primary is excellent, but you wont get in if you are living in SL as they have just started zoning schools.

Thanks. Have already had experience of the zoning. We're currently looking at Altona primary school.

We've got a propoerty secured on Skyward drive in SL.

Scheduled to arrive End of September at the moment, and will definitely be in touch.

Phil

Could I just ask a couple of questions about the area?

How easy is it to get from Point Cook to Melbourne by public transport, and how far is the nearest nice beach?

If you dont have a car and live in Sanctuary Lakes or Point Cook can you still get out and about easily?

I will be working between Melbourne and Geelong so my partner and daughter will be at home at first so im worried that we may struggle with one car.

Hi,

If you live in Point Cook there are buses that take you to either Hoppers Crossing or Laverton where you can then get the train (trains are very very frequent) into CBD.

Nearest beach is about a ten minute drive to Altona, or there is one (bit more rugged tho) in Werribee South - although they are putting a marina in the area and improving. There is also a rugged beach about a five minute cycle away on the homestead... (not somewhere for a day at the beach tho)

Sanctuary Lakes is to get a bus in the next 12 months too.

If you are worried about family at home during day, then look at houses on Broadwalk estate or around Lennon Boulevard, or even Featherbrook. Sanctuary Lakes rentals have the tennis courts, gym and pool they can use, or Allamanda estate have got a big playground, sports complex and an outdoor pool. They are all walking distance to schools/pub/buses and point cook centre. The centre is fabulous and has everything there that you would need.

The area is improving all the time and you blink and another shopping area or doctors has been built.

Only an hours drive away is Torquay, which has one of the best beaches in the whole of Victoria. Gorgeous.

Good luck with the move, when are you coming

Elaine

It is an affordable area,

Thanks Elaine that is really helpful.

Where we live right now doesnt have a lot to do around it so we are quite used to heading out further for entertainment. 1hr to great beaches is perfect, and if they can easily get to the shops during the day I wont worry about them being bored when im out.

Im waiting for my professional registration to be processed then I can hand my notice in and book a flight...... I was hoping for October but arriving in November is more likely.

I will come first and find my feet, secure a rental etc, then partner and daughter will follow.

We are coming out on a 457 for 4 years then if it works out hoping for pr.

Cant wait :biggrin:

Hi,

Your street is the next one from us.!!!! We are on Sunseeker Chase (off the Esplanade)...

Any advice or help you need just let me know.

Elaine

I've just checked the map, and it looks like we're practically neighbours. Will definitely be in touch for advice, and for a beer / coffee when we arrive.

Phil

Hi,

Have a look on realestate.com.au or sanctuary lakes real estate or domain.com.au You can organise an email from them with houses that suit you.

Word of advice tho, you are unlikely to get a rental without viewing the property in person... We moved in our house with borrowed bits and pieces to keep us going for the time before our stuff turned up.

We used Crown and our stuff came within 10 weeks.

You could (if you can afford it of course) try the Quest apartments on Sanctuary lakes, which are fully furnished rental apartments and are lovely. They would at least keep you going for a few weeks until you could get something long term.

As it gts closer to the time, there are plenty of us Poms here who can help out with bits and bobs for you to keep u going till furniture arrives I am sure.

If you need any help give us a shout.... Are you coming on your own or are you coming with family.

Elaine.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Popeye

Hi guys

thought i'd join in. Hope to meet up with Elaine & the rest of the crowd soon as we live on Sanctuary Lakes too. Have been here just 3 weeks and love it, very safe and nice and peaceful. As they've all said, amenities are only 5 mins away inc a decent gym and shops. The CBD is very easy to get to via the train, you def would not want to drive it at rush hr-absolute nightmare. My wife works in the CBD and it takes her an hr door to door and she has a ten min walk from southern cross to her office.

As for beaches, williamstown is very nice but like Elaine says Torquay is excellent or you could go over to St Kilda. Just been upto Mt Buller snowboarding so if yr into yr winter sports it's only a 3 1/2 hr drive away for some good quality skiing, but not quite top european standards-but hey, there's no pushing/shoving in the lift queue's!!

We moved with Pickfords and they were superb-furniture delivered in 8 weeks, door to door!!

Melbourne is truly a superb place to live and has everything to offer and must have some of the top eateries in the world-very diverse!

Best of luck, you won't be dissapointed.

Rgds

Steve

• 1 month later...

Do any of the Sanctuary lakes reidents have any advice on Broadband. We're just about to move into a retal property, and despite the rental firm telling us that cable was being layed in the area, it seems that we can only get a very expensive (and slow) ADSL deal from Telstra. They offered us $90 per month on a 24 month contract for a service with 2GB per month limit on traffic.

Does anyone know if and when cable will be available ?

Guest Barney Withers

Hi All

I'm new to this website as I'm still in the UK, but am planning to come out and live at Sanctuary Lakes early 2011. I married an Aussie 6 years ago and have two kids so have been researching this move covertly for years now! It looks like we've both got jobs to walk into so it's a green light for the move.

It's been good to read all your threads and I'll certainly be in touch when we get there. It'd be great to meet.

I'm resigning today - whoop whoop!!!!

See you soon,

Barney

• 4 weeks later...
Guest geordielassinspain

Hi all. We just moved into Sanctuary Lakes last Friday so have been here a week and are absolutely loving it!! Not finding it souless at all either. Our furniture is in transit too but we couldn't wait to move to Sanctuary Lakes from Frankston (where we were for less than a week) so we have hired furniture and its all good quality too. We have asked Telstra about broadband and they said we need to be on waiting list but another company are getting us broadband this week hopefully (through Telstra so I don't understand how the system is working but if we do get it I'll let you know how). My boys started school on Thursday at Carranballac College on Jamieson Rd through the zoning system and so far it seems a really friendly school. The boys seem happy anyway which is the main thing. I start work on Monday at the Royal Womens Hospital but I start at 7 so I was hoping that the traffic would be ok at that time. Thought I would try it with the car first as I'm not sure about how near the train is to there at the minute but hoping the car won't take that long.

I would say that so far Sanctuary Lakes is absolutely fantastic and we are all really loving it!!

:cute: Tracey

• 1 month later...
We're in the process of mving to Melbourne, and have applied for a rental property in the sanctuary lakes estate. I've had a quick look around when I was there in June (currently back in the UK) and liked it, but I've also been reading some bad things on the forums. I just wondered if anyone on here who lives there, or has lived htere could put me straight on a few points ?

1) I'm going to be commuting to the CBD each day. I hear that they train is packed, and the traffic is bad. How long (realistically) is it likely to take to get to Docklands each day (either via Southern cross or by road). Is 45 minutes realistic during the rush hour ?

2) Some pepole say that the estate is soul less, and there's never anyone around, so it feels empty. That's not the impression that I got, however I did visit on a weekend. We're sociable people, and looking for somewhere were our 9 year old daughter is likely to meet some friends, and hopefully, where we can build a social life.

3) Schools. Mixed reports on schools. Point Cook primary seems to have good feedback. Are there any others that people can recommend ?

Any advice would be helpful.

Did you apply for a rental property from the UK, if so could you give me some advice, web sites etc, I seem to be going round in circles.

Guest The Pom Queen
Did you apply for a rental property from the UK, if so could you give me some advice, web sites etc, I seem to be going round in circles.

Hi Mark

Unfortunately you will really struggle to find a long term rental from the UK, it use to be possible but then agents put a stop to it.

Kate

Hi Mark

Unfortunately you will really struggle to find a long term rental from the UK, it use to be possible but then agents put a stop to it.

Kate

This is beginning to worry me a bit now, I don't want to land in Melbourne and be homeless, what is the solution?, any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. Regards, Mark.

Archived