Guest geoffsbutler

IT jobs in Australia - closed shop for non-Aussies?

Guest geoffsbutler

Hi there guys, new user to the forum here - I'm thinking of moving down to Australia sometime next year but wouldn't mind some answers to some questions before I do!

My work background is software development (specifically Oracle database development in case you're interested!) and I've been working in this sector for nearly 12 years now. Having spoken to a couple of mates who have either worked down in Australia themselves or know of someone else who has, I've heard that there is a bit of a closed shop mentality when it comes to employing non Australians.

From the experiences of people out there on the forum, is there much truth to this? Is it a case of who you know, not what you know (another thing that I've seen popping up here a bit as well!) Any info would be appreciated - I'd love to come and work down in Oz but don't fancy leaving a perfectly good job here to be unemployed down there!!

Thanks a mil,

Geoff

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi Geoff

i have been on several threads that have mentioned about IT jobs and they have ALL said that IT is booming in the major cities in Australia, there is an element of Australian patriotism when it comes to jobs in general, so people mention, but i am sure that you would have no problems as long as what you do is something that they want.

best of luck, jim

Geoff, I work for IBM and I was in a client meeting today, I looked round the table and realised that every person in the meeting that worked for IBM was from England.

There is no discrimination here that I have found against Brits in the IT sector, if you have the visa and the qualifications or experience needed then you should get the job. You would only be pipped by a native if they had specific local experience that was needed for the role. An example of this would be IT sales where they already knew the local customers.

Good luck

BB

MELBOURNE SHORT TERM ACCOMMODATION - FURNISHED SELF-CONTAINED STUDIO APARTMENT AVAILABLE -

walk to shops, beach and station. Ideal for new immigrants before you find a long-term rental. PM me for further details.

Geoff, I work for IBM and I was in a client meeting today, I looked round the table and realised that every person in the meeting that worked for IBM was from England.

There is no discrimination here that I have found against Brits in the IT sector, if you have the visa and the qualifications or experience needed then you should get the job. You would only be pipped by a native if they had specific local experience that was needed for the role. An example of this would be IT sales where they already knew the local customers.

Good luck

BB

Would agree with this too - from OH's experience! We arrived here a month ago and he has secured a job in IT. He also said there was a high % of Brits in the workplace. Mind you, he did say that he felt lucky to have the exact experience and qualifications they were looking for. I would imagine though that this may differ by company and area so possibly difficult to generalise? We certainly thought it would be harder for my OH to secure his first position and we fully expected a longer wait.

17/6/09 - Lodged 175, CSL ........ Visa Grant - 28/1/10 ........ Arrived in Brisbane - 2/7/10 :jiggy:

I agree with the other replies. My husband is is also in IT and finds that a lot of the people he works with are from the UK. As far as I know he's not found there to be any discrimination against Poms when looking for work. He's had a number of positions here in Australia for several different companies.

Love

Rudi

x