Sign in to follow this  
Guest NJaine

Am I resident for tax? Or not? Or both?!

Guest NJaine

Hi all

Slightly unusual situation which the ATO website hasn't helped me clear up....

I lived in Australia from Jan 2007 - May 2009 on a 457 visa. In the last tax year (09-10) I was paid commission (and taxed as normal) 2 or 3 times by my employer for sales completed prior to me leaving in May 2009. Company policy dictates that commission is only payable to the sales person 30 days after payment from client has been processed - hence payments (to my Oz bank account) in July 2009, October 2009 and February 2010 for sales accrued prior to leaving Australia the previous tax year. Super contributions were also made in relation to these payments. If it makes any difference, I have been on sabbatical since leaving Australia so have not engaged in any employment with any firm in any country since then, and do not have a "permanent abode" anywhere in the world (my last registered address would still be my Australian address, apart from c/o addresses in teh UK for post etc).

My 457 visa was active up until April 2010, at which point I cancelled it (in order to begin the process of extracting superannuation). I have received a PAYG summary and need to file a tax return which I hope to do via the ATO's online system if it's not far too complicated for my non-accountant brain.

I have no idea if I am a resident for taxation purposes or not.... any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Guest hewett3

Hi, Who did your tax returns when you were in Aus? If H&R Block I know they give free advice all year round to their clients - give your Aus Tax Agent a call and clarify then you'll be good to go on the on line - it's really straigh forward.