Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rbecca

Lottery win and control loss!

Guest Rbecca

Well I said my luck would have to change and it did. £10 lottery win last week. WOW! That's the first time it has paid out in about two years. I reckon that was just the run up to a big win this week. Last week also brought the Queensland College of Teachers registration. What should have taken 6 weeks actually took six months, but my name is on their list of registered teachers so that's another good thing. And my CRB check came back and I could start supply teaching. So that should have been a good thing too except that the agency rang me on Wed and asked me to go to a junior school in Carlisle. This was at 8.15, school starts at nine and I am 65 miles away and the school is on the other side of the city from the motorway. So the message is sent that I won't actually arrive before 9.15. I arrive at 9.45 and am expecting at least one motorway speeding ticket as a result!

I have to say that that one day was almost enough to put me off teaching for the rest of my life. I am a teacher with 17 years experience and I have to admit to being defeated by 32 nine year olds. I am not sure that anyone learned very much in the afternoon. I had four boys who were unable to stay seated and instead wandered the class trying to beat up other children. Then there were another half a dozen who had there own agendas and it wasn't science and air resistance. The class teacher left instructions that I take the class outside and they practice running about with large sheets of card feeling the air as they ran. Well I have to say that there was no way I was taking that lot outside and letting them run about - it would have been suicidal! No one popped in to ask me how it was going or if I needed anything. I left the school at the end of the day vowing never to set foot in the door again.

This morning the agency asked if I would return for the whole of next week. The school had said how pleased they were with me and really wanted me back. I had to regretfully decline as debtors prison appealed more. Surely I have got to find something better than that. I hope supply teaching improves considerably or I may have to rethink my initial supply teaching plans for Oz.

Rebecca

Guest Nelson

We have many friends who are teachers in Oz and they are unanimous in saying that teaching here is a veritable holiday compared to teaching in the U.K. Sure, there are some hoolums, but they are amatures by comparison!

Guest Rbecca

Thank you so much for the confidence boost. I need it!

Rebecca