'A new life in Oz' .... not!

Guest jamtart

I was in the same position in regards to visa which is why I came back after the changes were announced as I did not want to waste any more money than I already had! This is also why I would strongly advise anyone thinking about going down the student route not to as you really are wasting your time and money! It sucks but its true!

Guest chris955

I was going to say I can't believe how a Government agency could be so heartless and callous but then I came to my senses.

Guest chris_mac

The government is out of order. Immigration policies should stipulate potential pit falls in the event of changes the migration program whereas the applicant fully understands and signs as such, or exempt migrants from any such changes as agreed again at visa validation.

no worse then comments i have read in mail/sun/times/even the guardian at times

No but.... awesome australia!!!!! can it be????

No but.... awesome australia!!!!! can it be????

Aldo i really don't know what Australia did you but sure left a huge scar that even though you don't live there or planning to move you are still frequenting a forum about Aus.

Aus like every country in the world has it's issue and there are sections of the community who would probably like a return to the White Australia policy but that isnt going to happen and they will just have to learn to live with immigrants who are funny colour/worship a different god/speak funny languages and above all dare to call themselves australian!

Guest SimplyMoi

First post since I registered, and perhaps I shouldn't leap in where angels fear to tread, but hey...I've not been an angel since I was five. :arghh:

I want to clear up any misapprehension anyone may have about Australia being the only country to apply retrospective immigration rules.

Not true as the UK is just as bad. If you read the HSMP forum (Highly skilled Migrant Program), there are many heartbreaking tales of migrants from all over the world, including Australia/New Zealand, who have invested heavily in a life in the UK, including buying property, only to be told they no longer meet the criteria for a HSMP visa, and will have to return home. All due to changes in the 2009 Immigration act, applied retrospectively.

I didn't post the link as I wasn't sure if that was acceptable. Could someone set me right please?

I have also fallen foul of the new rules. I am an Aussie, but have been in the UK for 34 years (was married to a Geordie), but even though I have had Right of Abode for all that time, now suddenly I may no longer be allowed to stay. Fighting my corner on this at the moment.

Posting this just to make sure everyone is aware it is not just Australia being the bad guy here, and hopefully to encourage a more balanced thread.

As far as the state of the UK immigration system your preaching to the converted.

Good luck with your forthcoming battle.

OK which PIO member posted this in the comment section :biglaugh:

Of course they can't stay. They're white, espouse family values, consistent with our traditional population base. They are happy to obey our laws, respect our culture and don't show a predisposition to violence if they don't get their way. Totaly in opposition to current government policy.

OK which PIO member posted this in the comment section :biglaugh:

guessing it was an aussie :biglaugh:

First post since I registered, and perhaps I shouldn't leap in where angels fear to tread, but hey...I've not been an angel since I was five. :arghh:

I want to clear up any misapprehension anyone may have about Australia being the only country to apply retrospective immigration rules.

Not true as the UK is just as bad. If you read the HSMP forum (Highly skilled Migrant Program), there are many heartbreaking tales of migrants from all over the world, including Australia/New Zealand, who have invested heavily in a life in the UK, including buying property, only to be told they no longer meet the criteria for a HSMP visa, and will have to return home. All due to changes in the 2009 Immigration act, applied retrospectively.

I didn't post the link as I wasn't sure if that was acceptable. Could someone set me right please?

I have also fallen foul of the new rules. I am an Aussie, but have been in the UK for 34 years (was married to a Geordie), but even though I have had Right of Abode for all that time, now suddenly I may no longer be allowed to stay. Fighting my corner on this at the moment.

Posting this just to make sure everyone is aware it is not just Australia being the bad guy here, and hopefully to encourage a more balanced thread.

How come you never took British citizenship?

Guest SimplyMoi
How come you never took British citizenship?

Two reasons.

Firstly, why should I take British citizenship? I am an Australian, and proud of it. It is just my bad luck that I happened to marry a Brit who refused to even consider giving Australia a go. Consequently, I have had to spend my life here.

Not everyone who lives in a country that is not their own wants citizenship of that country. I am not an immigrant. It is just due to circumstances that I happen to live in England. I consider myself a 'permanent visitor'. :yes:

Secondly, there was no way I was ever giving up my Australian citizenship which I would have had to do, as dual nationality was not allowed for Australians born-and-bred prior to the rule changes by Australia in 2002. The British government supports dual nationality, as do a lot of countries, but Australia only went down this route in 2002 when the government realised it was discriminating against its own citizens, as immigrants who took Australian citizenship could also retain their original nationality.

Also, as I have had no problems with my Right of Abode until now (my passport is treated by immigration as a British passport, and I am able to enter Britain through the UK line), why did I think I would even need need British citizenship?

Short-sighted? Perhaps, but as I said, until 2002 I did not have the option anyway.

Now? I may apply for British citizenship, and that is what I am investigating at the moment. However it is with a heavy heart. I am happy being an Aussie in England, and to be honest, I feel I am betraying Australia by taking citizenship of a country just because of the UK government and their moronic decision to retrospectively apply immigration changes to everyone who has been in Britain since the year dot. :no:

Guest girlwizz99

With regard to the 'they would rather have someone who came on a boat' comment at the end I can only say I'm pleased to see the back of them... I am so tired of this assumption that refugees who are willing to risk their lives for 100s of days at sea do so merely to jump the immigration queue. Ironically, I also arrived on a boat, my own private yacht, and we have been granted residency on the basis of our skills, education and willingness to contribute to the community not to try and slip in through the back door on a hairdresser course. I would also like to add that the Indian Ocean is not a very pleasant place to be for long periods on a safe and well equipped yacht, let alone, a ramshackle overcrowded refugee ship. Surely a sign of someone's desperation.....

Two reasons.

Firstly, why should I take British citizenship? I am an Australian, and proud of it. It is just my bad luck that I happened to marry a Brit who refused to even consider giving Australia a go. Consequently, I have had to spend my life here.

Not everyone who lives in a country that is not their own wants citizenship of that country. I am not an immigrant. It is just due to circumstances that I happen to live in England. I consider myself a 'permanent visitor'. :yes:

Secondly, there was no way I was ever giving up my Australian citizenship which I would have had to do, as dual nationality was not allowed for Australians born-and-bred prior to the rule changes by Australia in 2002. The British government supports dual nationality, as do a lot of countries, but Australia only went down this route in 2002 when the government realised it was discriminating against its own citizens, as immigrants who took Australian citizenship could also retain their original nationality.

Also, as I have had no problems with my Right of Abode until now (my passport is treated by immigration as a British passport, and I am able to enter Britain through the UK line), why did I think I would even need need British citizenship?

Short-sighted? Perhaps, but as I said, until 2002 I did not have the option anyway.

Now? I may apply for British citizenship, and that is what I am investigating at the moment. However it is with a heavy heart. I am happy being an Aussie in England, and to be honest, I feel I am betraying Australia by taking citizenship of a country just because of the UK government and their moronic decision to retrospectively apply immigration changes to everyone who has been in Britain since the year dot. :no:

I do understand sometimes it is just easier becoming a citizen but i wouldnt give my british citizenship either as was the case with you.

I thought once you had a right to abode they couldnt kick you out.

My husband is aussie but a naturlised brit and does not feel he has betrayed his country.

Guest Gollywobbler
The government is out of order. Immigration policies should stipulate potential pit falls in the event of changes the migration program whereas the applicant fully understands and signs as such, or exempt migrants from any such changes as agreed again at visa validation.

Hi Chris

Do you mean at the time of the visa application?

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
read the comments...

beleive me now?:cute:

Hi Aldo

I've spent the last 30 years believing you, which is why I didn't follow my sister to Oz. Over the years, loads of friends have asked me about Oz because I've been there a few times but they haven't.

I've always thought that Oz depends on what you are leaving, not on what you are going to. If I lived ih a cold, damp dump of a house on a slum of a sink estate somewhere ghastly with zero employment and zero prospects then I think Oz would be very attractive.

If I lived in Sri Lanka, I would do my best to escape from the grinding poverty, no welfare state and the civil war.

However I do believe that it is a mistake to build up romantic ideas that Oz is some sort of Nirvana because when you get there, it isn't. They only stopped transporting people to the place after gold was discovered in the 1840s and making villains wealthy was not quite in keeping with the original plan, after all....!

I can understand Julia Gillard because she was only 5 when they moved and apparently she was pretty sickly when she was small. (The modern Health criteria would probably scupper her family's plans these days anyway, but I note that that bit has been glossed over!) Gillard wouldn't remember anywhere except Oz, really.

God knows what my sister was doing. She was lined up for one of the best matrimonial matches in Britain. Not a weed like Loppylugs but a really nice young man who was part of the Lulworth empire in Dorset. Suddenly she dumped James, dumped the UK and went off to Oz aged 21, for no reason that I have ever been able to discern. Very odd, imho!

Cheers

Gill

Thanks Gill, you have just jogged my memory. I spent all day yesterday trying to remember the name of a wonderful place i used to go diving - it was Lulworth Cove, Kernow got me reminiscing with his/her fudge post, I remember buying a huge slab of it to take home - bootiful....

BTW is Lulworth Cove the one where you have to drive through the ex army training village (very eerie)

Guest perth1

It does have to be the only system in the world that takes your money and changes the rules after you have signed a legal form/application.

Great point made in the comments as well, how many countries do the boat people pass on their way to Australia??

Hi Aldo

I've spent the last 30 years believing you, which is why I didn't follow my sister to Oz. Over the years, loads of friends have asked me about Oz because I've been there a few times but they haven't.

I've always thought that Oz depends on what you are leaving, not on what you are going to. If I lived ih a cold, damp dump of a house on a slum of a sink estate somewhere ghastly with zero employment and zero prospects then I think Oz would be very attractive.

If I lived in Sri Lanka, I would do my best to escape from the grinding poverty, no welfare state and the civil war.

However I do believe that it is a mistake to build up romantic ideas that Oz is some sort of Nirvana because when you get there, it isn't. They only stopped transporting people to the place after gold was discovered in the 1840s and making villains wealthy was not quite in keeping with the original plan, after all....!

I can understand Julia Gillard because she was only 5 when they moved and apparently she was pretty sickly when she was small. (The modern Health criteria would probably scupper her family's plans these days anyway, but I note that that bit has been glossed over!) Gillard wouldn't remember anywhere except Oz, really.

God knows what my sister was doing. She was lined up for one of the best matrimonial matches in Britain. Not a weed like Loppylugs but a really nice young man who was part of the Lulworth empire in Dorset. Suddenly she dumped James, dumped the UK and went off to Oz aged 21, for no reason that I have ever been able to discern. Very odd, imho!

Cheers

Gill

Sorry Gill have you been on the sherry?

Only poor people would enjoy what Australia can offer? I'm sorry (and I do like you, you add alot to PIO etc) but you sound like a bloody snob.

I can understand and agree to a point that people who are not living in the best areas can do better in Australia if they apply themselves, but doesn't that mean, that Australia has better opportunities for people to get ahead in life?

I'm not saying Australia is better than the UK it's just a different way of life, maybe that way of life doesn't suit you?

As for your sister good on her, it just sounds like she put her personal happyness above wealth. Money is not the be all and end all, give me a loving family and a healthy and happy house and I'm richer than anyone you know. :wubclub:

Archived